Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mri_guy

Seed Pods?

MRI_Guy
10 years ago

Are these seed pods on my oldest DR? This is the plant that I hard-pruned last winter, it was loaded with flowers all summer and seemed quite happy. Today I spotted what looks like seed pods, but not having seen one in small form before, I can't be sure.

What do you think?

Thanks - Scott

Comments (10)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Definitely looks like it to me Scott. Coming from someone that has not experienced them, yet.
    Rick

• User
    10 years ago

The two larger ones are definitely seed horns, but I am curious about the small projections at the base , are they small leaves or do they seem the same. Seeds horns usually appear as pairs.
    Brian UK.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

...and I'll 'third' that...congratulations!! It will be interesting to see how they all develop...how long do they usually take from first showing to popping anyone?
    Having just googled adenium seed pods, never having seen one up close and personal myself either, they do appear to have 4 structures surrounding the 2 horns...these are the 4 sepals that originally surrounded the flower but together now form a calyx as the flower has been pollinated.
    Gill UK

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Looking like pods !!!

Congratulations, MRIGuy!!!

Take care,

Laura

• MRI_Guy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all and thanks Gill for the research. It's a new experience for me and thought it was a little late in the year for a seed pod, but one can never 2nd guess Mother Nature. Good to be back on the Forum after a great summer!

Scott

• sonderegger
    10 years ago

I have had this plant for years and found the pod this morning. I'm very excited... I can't wait until it opens. Sure need some advice on how to germinate the seeds and to plant them.

• sonderegger
    10 years ago

A better view of the seed pod.

• locoguy
    10 years ago

I had some small seedpods like that before, but the seeds that came out of it werent any good. Hope yours turn out good.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Sonderegger....Hi and welcome aboard the forum!
    When the pod is ripe it will split open lengthways and tons of seeds will float everywhere!!....Best to put a leg of a pair of tights/stocking very carefully round it to catch them else they may escape, as the plant appears to be outside ?? Not that I've ever had a seed pod or flower for that matter, but have read that this is the best way to catch the seeds as they have fluffy appendages and drift off all over the place.

Select the biggest/longest/plumpest seeds as some may be 'empty' A very, very gentle squeeze will tell you which ones are hopefully viable. Soak them in tepid water for 2 hours not much longer, push them under the water to soak as they will try to float at first.

Sow them in some moist compost mixed with an equal amunt of perlite, keep sealed/covered and place somewhere warm.

If the seeds are 'live' they should germinate in as little as mine did...4days!! Make sure they don't dry out whilst germinating, but don't waterlog them either. Keep moist at all times whilst tiny and grow in fairly strong light.

Please do come back to us for the next stage...good luck!!

Gill UK.

This post was edited by greenclaws on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 13:26

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

That is a great photo of the start of a seed pod. Woo hooo...how neat! I tired purposely crossing a couple but they did not take. So well done.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH