Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeinto

gritty mix - can't find gypsum!

teeinto
11 years ago

I just picked up the three main ingredients for the gritty mix (granite, turface and fir bark fines) - which were not easy to find here in Toronto. What I couldn't find anywhere was gypsum. None of the garden centres I went to (of 4), nor any of the big box stores in the area.

What would happen if I omitted the gypsum? I also could not find "Foilage Pro" fertilizer, so have to stick with the ones I have - none of which seem to have calcium or magnesium listed in the extra nutrients. Is there an decent substitute for gypsum? Of course, if anyone knows where to find this locally, please let me know.

I'm planning to use this mix to re-pot my (slightly struggling) adenium arabicum.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• MyLan153
    11 years ago

You can get Foilage Pro at Amazon.com, by this link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SUT6VS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&smid=A19I28AKMOKQVB

I also found gypsum at Amazon.com, but I'm not sure that this is the right stuff. Please, if any one can verify this by this link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LETYN6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&smid=A23XB2IU56PL57

• teeinto
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Unfortunately, amazon.com does not ship Foilage Pro to Canada. Amazon.ca doesn't carry it... nor could I find it from any other vendor in Canada.

For my one adenium, I figure I only need about 1/2 a tablespoon!

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I don't add gypsum to my mix. I make the gritty mixes with whatever happens to be on hand. As long as you use micro nutrients that supply calcium and other minerals you should be fine. I use a product called CalMag Plus when I water the plants and they do just fine. I also don't use Foliage Pro for my adeniums. I don't like the high nitrogen fertilizers for them.

• americangolden
    11 years ago

I bought Foliage Pro off of amazon, but if you are having trouble you could also search eBay. I'm sure someone has it listed, and if not just keep and eye out. Also I believe that the store Kmart sells it, not sure if you have that store in Canada. If all else fails, search google and i'm sure you can find some vendor that will ship it to you. Good luck!

• teeinto
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was just told on another thread that plaster of paris is the same as gypsum, so I don't think it will be a problem to find. Alternatively, I do see that CaMg+ is available at a few places in Toronto, so that is definitely an option. Any thoughts on which method is better?

On eBay - I did look, but found shipping to Canada to be very expensive (~$20!), in addition to the potential hassle of dealing with customs. The last K-mart in Canada closed probably 20 years ago, so also not an option! Thanks for the suggestion though...

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I wouldn't use Plaster of Paris. There's a chance it could solidify when exposed to water. Crushed oyster shell that you can buy for birds and reptiles might be a good calcium supplement but I'd use very little. I prefer the CalMag Plus if you can get it. Are there any hydroponics stores near you? If so they should carry everything you will need. By the way after looking at your plant in the other post I wouldn't feed it or give it any supplements other then B1 until it's recovered and in an active growth phase. You don't want to feed a stressed or dormant plant.

• teeinto
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Karyn. I will not worry about feeding it for the time-being... hopefully it will make a recovery and then I can deal with the nutrient question in the spring!

• teeinto
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also, on the plaster of paris thing - Al (from the container forum) seemed pretty confident that it was okay to use, and as I understand, he's the expert. Just to be safe, I actually mixed it with water, allowed it to solidify, then crushed it into little bits (which resemble pellets). I was also worried about it solidifying in my mixture - hopefully it will be okay the way I did it.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi TeeInTO,

I agree with Karen that if you DR is having issues.. then i would wait to give it fertilizers and supplements.

Sounds like you already did, and that is not a problem. Hope you only put a few pieces in the mix?

Al knows what he is talking about.. I agree he is an expert on soils, etc. Great guy!!

I wish you all didn't have such difficulty finding these products.. Especially CalMag, B-1, Foliage Pro etc.

DO you have a Hydroponics store somewhere around you like Karen mentioned? That would help in your search and they could even order things for you...

Good Luck with the mix..

I use it as well annd love it. All of my DR's are in Gritty and i don't add anything to the mix (Gypsum) because i have it in the Foliage pro.

Im off to see your pic now..

Take care..

Hi Karen and everyone!!! : )

Laura

• teeinto
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I did just put in a small amount of crushed plaster of paris, which I had mixed with water and let solidify. I added about 1 teaspoon to about 1/3 gallon of gritty mix (I only made a small amount).

There appears to be no Foliage Pro available in Canada, and shipping to Canada (on eBay) was about $20, which seemed ridiculous. There is a hydroponics shop nearby, and I'll be taking a trip to the US next month, so will keep my eyes peeled for the products (I've found CaMg+ in a few Canadian online stores). Either way, I won't be feeding until spring, so no big rush!

Thanks again for all the advice!

• karyn1
    11 years ago

You should be able to find just about everything you need at the hydro shop so don't rush to order anything online. The products can be kind of $$$ but you save by not having to pay shipping charges. I agree that Al is the soil guru but don't freak if you can't find every ingredient for his gritty mix. As long as you can come up with an exceptionally well draining mix is all that matters. For rooting plumerias one of the best products is crushed pumice but that is very difficult to find in some parts of the country so those of us that can't easily obtain it substitute with a product that has similar properties and do quite well. Good luck with everything.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

You should be able to find just about everything you need at the hydro shop so don't rush to order anything online. The products can be kind of $$$ but you save by not having to pay shipping charges. I agree that Al is the soil guru but don't freak if you can't find every ingredient for his gritty mix. As long as you can come up with an exceptionally well draining mix is all that matters. For rooting plumerias one of the best products is crushed pumice but that is very difficult to find in some parts of the country so those of us that can't easily obtain it substitute with a product that has similar properties and do quite well. Good luck with everything.