Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting and Pruning Question

Posted by yumtomatoes 10a/FLA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 17:45

I am grafting the main stem of my seedlings using scions from another plant. The seedlings have lower branches that I have not yet grafted because I don't have enough branches on the scion donor plant to use to graft all of the lower branches.

My plan was to see if the grafts take and then if they branch, use those branches to graft the lower branches of the seedlings. And hopefully at some point the scion donor plant will branch more, too and I will have more scions to use.

However, that may take a long time since we are now getting cooler temps here. So I was wondering if I can just cut off the lower branches or is that a bad idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting and Pruning Question

If it is for me to make a decision, I will cut the lower branch, saving all my main energy of the plant to care for the scion. After the scion take, than if new branch come out, you can keep it, and later graft more color on to it.

Please post a picture or pictures for us to see. It is kinda late into the year, but nothing to loose if you don't try.

Good luck.

Marie

o

I would also cut the lower branches. I am a novice at grafting adeniums and haven't done that many but they seem to take more easily then other plants I've tried.

I might be tempted to wait until March to try your grafts just in case you have another unusually cool winter. It was cold as &*%! down there a couple years ago. I'm used to the occasional cool winter day in S. FL but it was cold for weeks at a time. I felt like I was back home instead of in West Palm!

o

Here is a picture of one of my seedlings that I grafted yesterday (main stem only).

o
Close-up of the graft

This is a picture of the graft close-up.

o

@yumtomatoes

I noticed after grafting it's not covered up to keep moisture in. Also leaving the huge leaves on may cause the scion to lose too much water.

May I know if the graft is sucessful?

Any pic?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here