Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shorty31071

Need help with my Baby's Please

shorty31071
11 years ago

I have a lot of questions about raising these baby's. I started them from the seeds that my 2 year old Adenium produced. I had no idea what I was doing and did not think to find a forum like this to help. The picture I have provided shows my 3 living baby's, to me they look bad but I know nothing about raising them. I have been reading quite a bit on this forum and have learned a lot but still need advice. The soil I used for the baby's is not what is recommended, I used a seed starter soil and that is what they are still in. I looked at them this morning and the 2 smaller ones were laying on there side and holding on by the roots, so i watered them and stood them up and put a bit of soil around the base to hold them in place, what should I do about this problem or is what i'm doing correct?

Comments (6)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

Shorty,
    They are very yellow and my first thought would be to take out of the soil you have them in.
    Plant them in a free draining mix with at least 50% pumice, Turface, chicken grit (#2) or perlite, with 30 % coconut coir husks/chunks and 20% compost or well composted manure. Add some slow release fertilizer.
    Plant in slightly smaller posts also. I would have the mix just slightly moist, not wet and replant. Do not water in for a couple days and then sparingly.
    Hope this helps,

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I agree with Charles. Repot into smaller containers with a better draining mix. They look a bit chlorotic. You can use epsom salts (provides magnesium) in the water to green them up. 1 tablespoon ES to a gallon of water. You should only have to water with the ES 1x. Once they are in a gritty mix they'll get some minerals from that.

You don't have to worry about raising them yet. Just let them put on some size. They don't look too bad and will improve significantly once transplanted into a better potting mix.

• shorty31071
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The black pots I have them in are 4oz, I have posted a picture to show the next size I have which is quite a bit smaller. Will the smaller (red) one be sufficient? I dont water until the soil is dry and when i do water It's from the bottom. How do I only get the soil slightly moist instead of wet since I water from the bottom? I will get the new soil asap I dont want to loose them. I had 1 seed pod left on my Mother plant, I pulled it yesterday because it was yellowing. It dried by last night and I got another 4 seeds, what is the best way to start these guys. My baby's that I have now I started them in a starter tray with starter soil. However I lost about 8 babys is this normal?

• shorty31071
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sorry the picture did not post so here it is

• keylyn
    11 years ago

bottom watering has its merits and demerits, in that some plants doesn't want their crown wet can make through...
    watering on the soil surface is a good practice to prevent salt build up, which is threatening.
    just don't use peat based soil mixes, because when they dry completely they become very stiff and resistant to watering. of course, there are remedies but just don't.
    i have some babies that are as big as yours and i put them in full sun on our roof, and i always find them wilted after a few days of ignoring them, but they managed to bounce back, not surprisingly!

• karyn1
    11 years ago

The red pot looks like a much more appropriate size for your babies. I don't bottom water succulents or caudiciforms. I use a very well draining gritty potting mnix that doesn't hold water. As long as your mix is good you really don't have to worry about over watering because it won't contain any perched water.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio