Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
len76

Green Flower

len76
10 years ago

This is a photo of a 3 year old double pink DR. After winter it showed slow growth with small leaves only at the tips of each stem. To try and rectify the problem I cut stems back.This seemed to fix that problem but have just found two small green flowers. Anyone have any idea what is going on. Be interesting to see if they develop and colour.

Comments (11)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Not familiar with this? They look more like a cluster of leaves with the thickness and the veining in them?
    Rick

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Len I took you photo and blew it up and I agree with Rick that they are leaves not flowers. Interesting formation though. Paula

• len76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Disagree with both. If it was a leaf it is a totally different shape and starting to turn pink. I feel that it is either a malformation or a disese. Will post a photo later on .

• len76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Disagree with both. If it was a leaf it is a totally different shape and starting to turn pink. I feel that it is either a malformation or a disese. Will post a photo later on .

• Pagan
    10 years ago

hm. The "petals" look like leaves to me too. The midribs are clearly there. Post a side view shot?

Pagan

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

If it is indeed a flower, could something like this be happening? I got these here: http://www.adeniumsindia.com/adeniumVirus.php?cat=virus

{{gwi:353790}}
    {{gwi:353791}}
    {{gwi:353792}}
    {{gwi:353793}}

-Heather

• len76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HI Ginger, you could be onto something here. We have just had the hottest winter ever on records. Only thing is this is the only plant out of app 200 that has shown this development. Any idea where I can find any info on those diseeses you mentioned. Len.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Good stuff Heather. These are studies done by NRSundaram and photo's submitted to Adeniumsindia.com. For it to effect one plant is not odd if it is an infection, but could simply just be isolated to this individual plant.
    Could also not be an infection, but an anomaly.
    Good to have somewhere to start.
    Rick

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

I'm not sure where to find more technical information, I don't see much detailed info on Adeniums like the web site that I posted. That site that I posted above, siamadenium.com, and tropicanursury.com all mention great detailed info on maladies and root/caudex training, I wonder if you could email them and they might be able to give more info. The growers like those seem to have a wealth of long term knowledge and experience. The people at adeniumrose.com are also growers as well as importers and are very open to offering help on their blog.

If you find out more we would all probably love to hear about it. There are very knowledgeable people here but there are lots of uncommon issues that they luckily haven't had to deal with. Knock on wood lol. I hope that is an anomaly like Rick mentioned and not a virus. Everything I hear about viruses says the plant needs to be destroyed :(

-Heather

• len76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Follow up on my green flower-leaves. Have I now got a DR with green flowers or a DR with pink leaves? Alternately it poses another stange event in that it is not the normal way for a DR flower to evolve. Keep watching for further instalments.

• Danielle Rose
    10 years ago

I'm not sure why they're coloring up, but I think they're leaves. It looks as if you're getting a crest. Google crested adeniums, and you'll find info and photos on plants that, for some reason, begin growing multiple leaves from the same point.

My guess is something happened when you cut it back in those two spots (or something was already happening within the plant) that caused the new growth to behave like this.

Either way, very unusual!