Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladylotus_gw

Adeniums in greenhouse problems w/mealies

ladylotus
10 years ago

Greetings,

I spent the weekend working in my greenhouse and moving all my plants indoors. I brought a plant in the summer which had mealies, now they are infesting my Adenium seedlings. I have been spraying with 70% rubbing alcohol, Dawn dish soap and water. I do not see that it is killing them. I have had a huge problem with flies, they are picking up these mealies and moving them to other plants as the flies are eating the sweet excrement. Now the flies have mostly frozen and I have continued to spray this mix on all my plants.

In addition to that, I have been using a couple granular insecticides (Ortho and Bayer) that have imidacloprid in them. I don't see that this is helping either.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Can I use pure rubbing alcohol without diluting in water without hurting my plants?

I have quite a few plants in my greenhouse so it is not possible to wipe each plant down.

Here is a corner of my greenhouse with my Adenium seedlings.

Comments (9)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Ladylotus,
    People do use alcohol on a Qtip and dab on mealies. The spray you using can be used every 3days for a couple times. If you are getting a lot of sun, it might be worth shading them so they do not burn. Another thought is to keep it as warm as you can if you are experiencing cool/cold weathers, as with moistening with liquids, you do not want them wet and cold.
    Rick

• Pagan
    10 years ago

Hi, Ladylotus! I've never tried it but if I were you, I would unleash the Ladybug horde into the greenhouse.

Pagan

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Pagan has wonderful idea.
    Yes, it would be worth it. Especially as you have a enclosed environment for them and keep them in. We have a 'bug factory' up the road from us.
    Definitely worth a call to someone.
    Rick

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

LadyL, sorry to read you are having a problem in the g/h. I do hope you will be able to solve it. It seems like you have been given some useful info above, so lets hope it works! Good luck with the fight against the mealies.
    Gill UK

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

Regarding the ladybugs.....are the Bayer granules that were used the systemic stuff? I ask because if the mealies eat the systemic treated leaves and the ladybugs eat them the ladybugs will also get poisoned, right? Maybe I am way off base, just wondering.

Beautiful greenhouse!

-Heather

• 11otis
    10 years ago

Hi folks,
    I don't think you can buy Lady bugs at this time of year.
    O.

• Pagan
    10 years ago

Yep, they do sell them especially this time of year. I came across this idea for integrated pest management last winter when I first started getting plants (excellent timing, I know), and anticipating what could go wrong with house plants. They even ship them with ice packs. Heather raised a good point, however. The fastest way to get answers is Amazon--you can post a question to people who have used them, Ladylotus.

P.

• 11otis
    10 years ago

Ooops, my mistake. I went to the site Richard mentioned and the Lady bugs (Aphid eater) are temp. unavailable.
    Apparently the mealies eater are also lady bugs but the tropical ones: Cryptolaemus montrouzieri

Here is a link that might be useful: The Bug Factory

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Whenever I see ladybugs in my gardens I put them in my greenhouse but I never see them again. This fall I cleaned up a lot of my garden beds and put them in.

I do have a few praying mantis in my greenhouse I wonder if they are eating the ladybugs?

I think my greenhouse get a little too chilly in the evenings for ladybugs to work on mealies right now.

I guess for now I will just continue to spray my mix. It seems now that the flies have perished due to the cold that I don't see as many of the mealies.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner