Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcharles_gw

"Off - Season" for many of us.

This is a time of year for many of us when our Adeniums either slow down or take a much needed break.
This is a time of year though, for us to learn new things and share amongst ourselves.
I would like to compile most of Al's literature and have it together so that we can look back at it for a refresher when needed. I believe that if we familiarize ourselves with it, it will become second nature and concerns and doubts will vanish. Atleast I know it will for me.
Let's see what we can come up with.

I realize that many are fortunate to live in an climate which allows for a longer growing season and we hope to enjoy their plants.
Rick

Comments (28)

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Al's literature? I am not sure what you are talking about. I agree off season is a great time to compare notes. Is there any type of Adenium library for known named varieties?

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am speaking of 'Tapla' (Al) from this site.
    He has given such indepth and very informative information. I like to go back and refer to many of the articles to refresh my memory.

I do not believe at this time that there is a Registry for Adeniums. There has been efforts to get one in place, but I do not think it will be anytime soon.
    So many of the hybrids are the same photo and given a different name.
    This makes it tuff to know for sure.
    Rick

• Pagan
    10 years ago

As I was writing this, a creature just walked across the yard. It's dark so I couldn't see it well but it looked like an owl with four legs lol

Anyway, that's a brilliant idea, Rick! I, for one, will definitely benefit from such a compendium.

Pagan

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

I too think it is a great idea. Whenever I feel something is going awry with my plants I come back here and read back dated posts to see if I can fix my problem.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

With some searching I found a fabulous article and good communication on
    this forum posting. What a wonderful and insightful read. Thanks Al.

"Container Soils & Your Plants Nutrition". by tapla Nov 02, 2011.

Tried to copy & paste to this forum and it came through, but without all of the photo's.
    Better to just jump to that posting. Too much to miss.
    Rick

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Rick,

This link might help ...

If you want, I can post some of Al's other information that some of you might find interesting.

I have learned so much from his articles and I will say that it all makes sense once you understand the concept of how it all works together for the health and overall vitality of the tree.

I really enjoy Al's articles too!!!

Thank you Rick !!!

Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: container-soils water movement and retention

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 17:49

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Laura,
    I hope that everyone can add information and i know that there are many other very useful pieces of information in the website, but it takes some searching.
    How do you add the "useful link" at bottom of page, Laura. Can send it through to my email, unless it would be useful for others?

I was also thinking of adding one of your potting-up tutorials.
    Thanks Laura

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Hi Rick, open up the page you want us to refer too, copy and paste it's 'html address' into the box entitled 'optional link URL' then add a 'title' in the 'name of the link box'....is that what you want to know? :)
    Gill UK

10 years ago

HI Rick!!!

Gill is right with the link info...

See the info under the box where you would write your message?
    You could keep this tab open and open a new tab and search for any info.. ( Example. i have this adenium post open and i wanted to find something in the Plumeria forum. I would open a new tab, click to the forum, find the thread, copy that thread link at the top of the page and go back to this adenium thread to post.) After you find what you would like to post, copy and paste like Gill mentioned. Or if using an iPad, hold your finger on the link.. It will ask what you want .. Copy and return to the tab on which you want to post to. Write the title where it says " name of link". Then Or touch ( iPad) on the space box for optional link.. It will say paste. Finish your post Then hit preview and it will appear as mine did.

There is a test forum here.. You can always try it before you actually make a real post. This is where I learned to link.. ;-)

If you have any problems or questions.. Email me and I'll help you. The first time is different, but it really is easy!!

Thank you for the thought of posting some of mine.. How kind!!

Take care,

Hope this makes sense!! Lol

Laura

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura's Tutorial of potting up Adeniums

Very good information:

Here is a link that might be useful: Did A Few Bare Rooting Of Trees Today...

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pot Size information for Adeniums and most Container grown plants.
    Wonderful read:

Here is a link that might be useful: Adenium Basics

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is a very good tutorial on Al's Gritty Mix

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Al's Gritty Mix -- A Learning Experinece

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There are so many good articles and I have not spent enough time searching the archives of the site, until now.
    Never too late.
    I have found some wonderful articles by Al and many more.
    One place to start:
    Type in main search bar of site

Container Soils - Water Movement & Retention XVI

this will bring you to so many wonderful and note worthy
    readings.
    I hope that this helps others somewhat and directs us to very informative information to give us the tools to keep our plants healthy.
    Thanks to all that participate in making this information available to us.
    Al's contributions to this site are quite amazing and unselfish on his part.
    Thanks so much,

Rick

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

If any of you want a list of links to the info I've posted that IMO would sort of concentrate everything in the least amount of space, just let me know. I'll collect the links in an email to myself & then just forward it to whomever might want it. Just be sure your settings are such that I can reply directly to you, or to be sure - include your email addy in the body of your message.

Laura is right. Once you get to the point you are able to see how everything makes perfect scientific sense, you'll be pleased with how easy everything becomes. I'm not a high horse kind of guy, so when I say that a very high % of growers don't have a good sensed of what plants need to grow well. Most will fairly consistently offer plants cultural conditions that are at the limits (or beyond) of what the plant is genetically programmed to tolerate, yet expect top vitality from their plants. The high expectations often end in a frustrating experience.

The sweet spot (of cultural conditions) is where you want to be. Fortunately, it isn't difficult to understand how to get there, and almost all plants you're going to grow will respond to the same set of sweet spot conditions. Forget the "this plant needs it wet and this plant likes it dry' stuff. If you get the soil right, you can water your adeniums right along side your coleus or impatiens. I do, and never worry about root issues.

I'll go put something together now - in case anyone wants some reading material for the winter that's coming. Coldest night of the fall for us tonight - 25* expected.

Al

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Al,
    I would like this very much. I believe my email is set up with Gardenweb.
    Thank you for taking the time.
    Rick

• katluvr
    10 years ago

Hi Al,
    Please include me in your mailing list, thanks to your gritty mix my succulents came through the wettest summer on record for us here in AL, didnt loose a one, I have no cover for them when they are outside.
    Thanks so much.Ronda
    rondapriest235@aol.com

• katluvr
    10 years ago

Sorry
    I read and re-read my post and just as I hit send I seen where I made a mistake in my e-mail address.
    Ronda
    correct address: rondapriest253@aol.com

10 years ago

If others are interested, instead of posting your email addy here on the forum, you might want to click on my name (tapla), and then on the 'send me an email' link. That way, no one can use your addy for anything you didn't intend it to be used for.

Al

10 years ago

Pagan - you need to correct your settings so I can reply to you, or include your email address in the body of your message. If you're settings don't allow a reply from those you mail, the recipient gets:

"(PLEASE NOTE: The member responding to your post has chosen not to reveal his or her email address. Therefore, you cannot reply to this message via email.)"

Sorry. ;-)

Al

10 years ago

Hong - please see note above. There is no way for me to reply to you. Sorry - I hope you see the reminder.

Al

10 years ago

Hi Al,

Thank you for taking the time to help...

All of your articles are helpful and full of wonderful information. I have grown from reading and applying the methods over the years....

My trees and I thank you, my friend!!!

Laura

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Al,
    I appreciate you taking the time to do this. I know that it will be a great help to understand things more clearly.
    Rick

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Thank you Al!

And Thank you Rick for starting this post!

• Pagan
    10 years ago

Al, that was an incredible reference list. Thank you very much. Also to Rick, for your brilliant idea.

Pagan

10 years ago

No problem - I enjoy helping & the interaction with other growing enthusiasts.

Tangula - you need to adjust your settings so others can reply to your emails, or include your addy in your message.

Al

10 years ago

Al. Thank you and ... You are more an welcome!!!!

Laura. ;-)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Merry Christmas & all the best in the New Year and many more.
    Wanted to revisit this thread so that some that did not
    get full advantage of all that was documented could find it now.

This is a good time of year to start any searching of information, sources of products, etc., for our new season.
    Hope everyone is healthy and busy with what ever keeps them happy.
    Let's share some interesting thoughts and finds.
    Rick

• _eee
    10 years ago

Loved all the postings and links. I am learning more and more from all of you and I sooo appreciate the sharing. :)
    Dottie

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living