Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracy33183

My new adeniums

Tracy33183
11 years ago

I couldn't help myself... I bought more seeds online and two more plants from a Nursey out in the Redlands.

Take a look.

Comments (14)

• Tracy33183
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#2 Can someone help me identify this one? I call it TL for tall and lanky.

• Tracy33183
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This one stands about 23 " and has two very tiny leaves growing on the bottom sides.

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

The second one is obesum. In the spring, if you trim it down, you will see the caudex expand much faster...
    Marie

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

The second one (taller, single stemmed). Is it a grafted one.
    Maybe just my eyes and the photo taken straight down from above, there seems that the terminal stem has quite an abrupt change in size from that of the base?
    May look different from profile view?
    Rick

• Tracy33183
    Original Author
    11 years ago

HI Marie - Thanks for the pruning tips! Should I cut it about six inches from the base?

HI Rick - I thought so too. But it doesn't have a cut line. ill post a closer picture of it's caudex.Tell me what you think. Thank you!

• Tracy33183
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the other side...

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

Tracy,
    It does not look that it is a grafted plant, just what I was seeing in other photo.
    I am not an expert at pruning, but it looks as though this plant could use a pruning when the time is right. I would say definitely above the small lateral branches that are close to base.
    Marie, would give good advice as she is very experienced in pruning.
    From what I have seen, the pruning is very subjective, depending on the structure of plant you are after.
    I like the compact and full look of the pruned ones.
    You have some nice plants.
    Rick

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

Id prune it just above that little branch sticking out on the side...so by that ruler at about 4 inches...When you prune those branches should grow alot bigger and faster too. Does it have some sort of fungus or mould on its leaves? Just looking at the top picture it looks like it has some spots on the leaves...?

Sarah

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

Pruning above the little branch would be good, but I would look to see what internodes there are and make sure you leave a few alternately around the stem so that you possibly get some branching happening symetricaly around the lateral stem.
    Probably going to have an interesting caudex under the soil, when raise down the road.
    Most of the Adeniums caudex's we see above actually grow subquitaneously under the soil and we expose by lifting.
    Rick

• Tracy33183
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rick, Sarah, Marie...Thank you All! I really appreciate your help and guidance.

Several of the top leaves were damaged and discolored when i purchased them. Most have fallen off now. The remaining top leaves (2 or 3) seem to be ok. My fingers are crossed but I'll keep an eye on them.
    Thank you!

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I'd also prune it quite a bit, maybe 2 or 3" above the small branch. Is it possible for you to grow adeniums in the ground in your zone? I've seen DR's as part of the landscape in S. FL and they look fantastic.

• Tracy33183
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You betcha! I'm getting better at identifying DRs. Most of them are in pots but I do see them in the ground. I discovered a neighbor that 5 or 6 huge ones in a flower bed adjacent his home. Simply beautiful. I haven't the courage to approach him.

• locoguy
    11 years ago

How is your grown DR doing? mine is giving it a last shot for the year i guess.

• Tracy33183
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi there!

What a nice DR with blooms all over! I love it! Thank you for sharing. I've heard that DRs can bloom all year round but honestly, I haven't paid attention. Mine has 6-8 blooms on it now. I've noticed that they come in clusters but the blooms are too big and seem to fall off early. Is this normal?