Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayeff71

My Ardeniums in Bloom at last

jayeff71
10 years ago

After trimming back earlier in the year I now have an abundance of blooms ,and the seeds planted on the 15th September are now handsome seedlings (see pic)

Comments (22)

• jayeff71
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adenium Seedlings

• jayeff71
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Common in Thailand but I love it !

• jayeff71
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Many flowers and many buds following on I happy !

• jayeff71
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another in bloom.

• jayeff71
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seedlings 2months old sown on the 15th September.

• jayeff71
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some of my Desert Rose on display all in flower

• teyo
    10 years ago

Congratulations, your plants look beautiful :)
    now after they finish blooming, cut them again and expect another even stronger flush soon :)
    The seedlings are big and healthy for their age too :)
    i am so jealous of your weather haha, today it's hurricane winds, rain and very cold where i live.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Hi, congrats on the flowering DR's, they look lovely basking in the sun...and I spy those gorgeous pots again! The seedlings look strong and healthy, no doubt given your favourable growing conditions, theytoo will soon be blooming.

As Teyo says both his (Croatia) and my weather is not good for growing DR's...here in the UK, it's dark, foggy, raining and cold with 2c at 11am, I don't think it will get any better as the day progresses either :( My plants are shivering!
    Gill UK

• parodise
    10 years ago

I will second what Gill and Teyo have said: lovely plants and very strong seedlings! Thanks for sharing a ray of light and a splash of beautiful colors! Dark, cold and rainy here - on the wrong side of the Alps...
    Lena

• jayeff71
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thankyou for your comments ,yes I am lucky living near Sattahip the Gulf of Thailand, all year the climate is good for growing these succulent plants.
    Yes Gill your comments on the pots they are ideal as they are quite shallow and look the part ,I pay between 60 to 90 Baht for them approx. ã1-20 to ã1-80 so they are good value for money.

• _eee
    10 years ago

Love the pictures and your plants are very pretty, thank you for sharing.

Question;

Does cutting back encourage blooms??? My adeniums are all about 3 ft. tall and this past year have put out very few blooms although very green and pretty.
    Dottie

• jayeff71
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dottie
    In answer to your question yes I think so ,I allways cut mine back to the top of the main caudex, it works for me otherwise they get to spindly, when we search the local producers in Thailand all there specimens are cut back, but I think grafting also produces good plants I have tried it but not been very successful.
    Please note I am only an amateur grower and still learning ,as they say trial and error.I have results and also failures but I persevere .

• _eee
    10 years ago

Although you say you are an amateur your plants say otherwise. I am an amateur and I am trying to learn although I have had my plants for a few years now I am still stumbling around trying to do better. I am not sure I will be able to cut them back to severely but I will try because I do long for more blooms so I will do my best. The weather here is so perfect for growing Adeniums with the temps in summer 105 to120 and now until July we average 75 go 85 although nights can get cold so they should be doing better. Thank you so much for taking the time answering my question.
    Dottie

• User
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing the photos, they are a real tonic as winter approaches. Pruning a mature plant can certainly induce flowering, whereas pruning a young plant will produce growth. At least that is my experience. Here is a plant that I gave a very late pruning, not something I would normally do, but it has to spend the winter indoors and it looked a bit scruffy. Although it was shutting down for winter it has responded with buds, I hope they open. I have put it back into the greenhouse for the day as it is sunny.

Brian UK

• User
    10 years ago

Here is the plant in flower a few years ago.
    Brian UK.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

That is a beautiful white. Brian, do you have a name for this one?
    I have one plant, named Somalense (still out for debate until it blooms) and of all the plants I pruned this spring. This one only produce one branch from each pruned? Others all sent out multiple branches.
    Rick

• _eee
    10 years ago

Thank you Brian and your pictures are great. I am a bit nervous about trimming mine back although I know they need it but right now I am not sure when the best time to trim is. I guess I could just bit the bullet and go for it because I am sure they will survive but I am just trying to learn what is best for my plants in this area. I am open to all and any advise so I thank you again for your advise.
    Dottie

• User
    10 years ago

Rick,
    The white was named "Snowy Shower" but I have never seen that name since. Interesting perhaps is that originally the flowers had a red throat as I think you can just see in the next pic. Over the years the flowers have changed to plain white, only one branch now has blooms with the red centre.
    Brian UK.

• Pagan
    10 years ago

Jaye, you're going to have to keep a steady supply of these amazing pictures throughout winter lol

Brian, that is the first mention I have encountered of plant bloom changing over the years and losing or gaining certain traits. Do they normally do that? I know age has a lot to do with it, some plants produce smaller or fewer flowers as they grow way older.

Curious.

Pagan

• User
    10 years ago

Pagan,
    I haven't come across any references to this either. I just assume that the characteristic is not genetically stable or whatever the correct terminology is. I know that some plants with variegated leaves can revert to plain green over time so maybe this is the same sort of thing.
    Best regards,
    Brian UK.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Brian,
    Interesting thing. I was looking at Rinoa's Facebook page and she has a plant on it called "Snow Cherry" and it has a beautiful white Adenium with a somewhat large relaxed bloom with red center. Made me think of your plant you posted photo's of and lost it's colored center. Similar looking flower and style.
    Long shot, I know with there being so many hybrids.
    Rick

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Brian, I love that white. I had many white, but none of that.
    I like the shape of the bloom.

Marie