Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Well... It Just Happened...tonight!,, ;-)

Hi..

The lady tree with the cute little back side decided to open the pods in my house today... It was good thing I was working with all of my pots and rearranging them...

I didn't see it.. Lol.

I know some have expressed interest in the seeds... I will take ten people who will email me about these seeds and then I will stop with this batch. They are watermelon - pink bloom and I think they are beautiful.

Ok...so, the first ten people who email me, I'll send these seeds to you. You can sow them now or wait. I would probably sow them now and use a heat mat for seedlings..

Good luck! this is the mother tree in bloom. The next pic is of the seed pod exploding on the tree!! HA!

It is a good thing I walked into the room before they were everywhere.. The " eye drops " Would have been needed... Lol ;-)

Have fun.

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 11:39

Comments (37)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seed pods opening in the house....

Laura.

Good luck!!!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view...

Laura

• jayeff71
    10 years ago

Beautiful shaped plant with an abundance of flowers.
    and I like the way you have captured the seed pods exploding , Keep the pics coming !
    Regards John

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

Wow! How fun! I hope they didn't get blown all over the house, you'd be finding them for months everywhere lol.

-H

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

That photo of the seed pod erupting is quite neat. It looks like angel hair on the branches or defused lights.
    Very cool,
    Rick

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone!!!

Hi John!!! Thank you.. It actually caught me by surprise as I was rearranging my trees. I'm just glad everyone was sleeping because I had to get the camera out at 2 in the morning.. Had to capture this!!! Thanks for the compliments!!,

Hi H.. Lol. You are right. I did find some more this morning. They are so light and fragile and you can see how they can be blown away in minutes if let outside in the wind... Mother Nature at its finest!!! I'm glad she decided to have them open inside!!!

Hi Rick!!!

Thank you so much... I do love the look of the pods opening.. It is a wonderful exciting act of nature.. I actually love the look as well!

Mahalo!!

Thank you to all that have sent me emails...

They are all spoken for as of now... If any other pods open, I will let you guys know!!!

Thanks Everyone!!! That was fast.. ;-)

Have a great day!!!

Laura

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Goodness that is cool!!! And my !!!! That was fast Laura!!
    Next time I hope ;-). Thanks for posting such cool pics

Chuy

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

DR enthusiasts....here we have yet another generous gesture from one of our great forum members....you guys and gals never cease to amaze me! This kind of thing goes a long way to making the forum a great place to make friends, learn and share.

Laura, hi there! Lucky you were around to capture the seeds and the pic. They sure are like fairies aren't they, so light and delicate.

I guess the race is now on to see who will get one of theirs to germinate first...who will it be I wonder...good luck to the 10 of you!
    Gill UK

Original Author
    10 years ago

Gill..

Thank you my friend.. You are so kind!!! THIS is the kind of forum we all love to come and be a part of. Because of people like you.. We can have a relaxed forum to learn and grow and offer advice in a friendly manner.

I love this forum and I thank all that continue to give in so many ways....

Gill.. The seeds are like fairies... I'm still finding them in the house. Don't tell hubby.. Lol. ( only kidding). He is to busy watching me rearrange the Plumeria!!! LOL!!

Have a great day everyone!!

Good luck to the new seed parents!! Hope your babies will have the same "shape " as " momma". ;-).

Let us know how they do..

Mahalo!!!

I have them in envelopes.. Addressing them now... ;-)

Laura

• somalenese
    10 years ago

spectacular camera work as well laura
    everything must have fallen in place
    for such shots ,
    right place right time
    lovely
    like a dream
    i'm waiting for my moment since last 3 yrs when i bought my first DR
    but these pics tell me its worth the wait...

thank you for the inspiration.

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Laura,

Great job catching those seeds before they scattered about your house. That is a gorgeous plant I love the caudex.

You are very kind for letting people request the seeds. Very nice of you.

Did the seed pod appear naturally? I tried pollinating a few of mine this year but none of them took. I did not get any seed pods to set on any of my plants. Ah well...I will give it a try again next spring.

Original Author
    10 years ago

hi Somalenese!!

Thank you for the kind comments as well as the very nice email..

I can't email you back because of your settings on GW. It won't let me. If you change your setting, you can receive emails, if you choose to keep it this way, send another email and make sure you include your email in the email. ;-)

The kind compliments are so thoughtful. I also love to take pics, but I just don't have the time like I used to. Sometimes I get lucky if I can get " that special shot.." The opening of these trees was so fast and it was so late, I just had to grab and shoot!!! Lol.

As to your questions.. Zone 10. Awesome!!! Lucky !!

As to mailing, we can always try!! ;-)

Some of my other trees have seed pods and will open sometime soon. Im Not sure when, but I can let you and a few others know as well.. ;-)

Here is my Montrose with pods.. Then another pic of my big budda belly with pods too! I'll post a few pics for you to see...

Hi Lady!!,

Thank you!!! I didn't have to many scatter.. I was up and messing with my containers moving them around so that I could make the proper place for my Plumeria for the winter. " what a job!! ". Lol

I do not hand pollinate them at all..I would love to try, but I just don't have the time. They are all naturally pollinated by moths and others little critters!!!

Here are a few pics..

Thanks you!!

Mahalo!!

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

Montrose.. Red blooms...

You can see them in the upper right corner

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

Curly at first. Then they straightened out.. Still look firm!,

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

Another...{{gwi:353948}}

Original Author
    10 years ago

I caught this pod opening in the middle of the night..

Camera ready!!! Lol

{{gwi:3226}}
    Thought some of you would like this shot....

Have a good night!!!

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Tita...

I received your email, but I can't respond because you have it set up on GW so I can't respond...

Send me another email with your correct email so we can talk..
    I will have more soon.. No worries,,

Someone just emailed me about the Tervis Tumbler? Yes, it is and I also love iced tea!!! I'm from the south as you know... My best friend knows that I always have to have my iced tea.. I mean " everywhere". I get soooo thirsty!! ;-).

Thanks for the great eye!! Lol

Night
    Laura

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

That is so cool! I hope one day I get to experience this myself in person.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Dragonstone!

Where are you located in NC?

Hopefully, you will see this beautiful act from Mother Nature.. She always amazes me. I love it!

Take care,

Laura

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

Cool photos, L. Thanks for sharing them with us. You always come up with something unique!

YPA

• LPBridge
    10 years ago

Hi Laura!
    Beautiful plants! Next to your name it says you're in Virginia Beach. That's where I am too! I joined the forum to ask about my Grandma Pat's d.r., which I sort of accidentally inherited. Now I'm wondering if she got it from you, since they seem to me to be a rather rare plant in this area. Maybe that's silly but I just had to say hello to a fellow VBer!
    -Lisa

Original Author
    10 years ago

HI Lisa!!!

I just saw your post about your special tree..

We can help you..

Awwww, you just made my day. Thanks for the " hello" Nice to see another "757" on the forum!!! ;-)

I don't think your tree is from me, but we can sure take good care of it!!!

I will let you read the other post and see what you would like to do!!

Take care,

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Al ,

Thank you for the kind compliment!!!

It is always a pleasure to hear them from you!!

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Take care,

Laura

• haworthia
    10 years ago

Laura,
    Your plants are beautiful and amazing. I wish that mine will do well like yours one day . Hopefully all the feedback that I've learned from you and others on this forum will help.Wishing you and all the adenium lovers a happy thanksgiving. I look forward to catching up one of these days ( I sent an email too)

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Laura, you are a wonderful person. Very kind to send out the seeds to other members.
    Marie

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Haworthia!!

Sorry, but I didn't receive an email? Always enjoy hearing from you!!

I still have something for you, so we will get together soon!!! ;-)

Hi Marie.. Thank you for the kind comment!! I appreciate that very much!!

I hope you and every here on this forum is having a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

Take care,

Laura

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

@loveplants2 Sorry I took so long to come back! I live along the coast. I have two desert roses, one from Lowe's and the other from Trader Joe. I put them in the laundry room to spare them the colder temperatures. I do have a greenhouse but someone gave me a small desert rose years back and it never survived its first winter in the greenhouse. I guess it hated the heater in there or something. It took me a long time to try again with two new desert roses. :) The Lowe's bloomed this year but the Trader Joe hasn't so I don't know what it's flowers are like. I can't wait til they're blooming at the same time so that I can try to cross them.

Original Author
    10 years ago

The big budda had a pod open yesterday...

Here is a pic...

They were everywhere.. Lol!!!

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

A close up. The picture of the tree in the summer is up thread.

If any are interested. I will take 5 people.. Then I will stop. But if I have more open, I'll post again !!

Good luck!!

Laura

• haworthia
    10 years ago

Wow Laura
    That's amazing.Sorry you didn't get my email. It didn't come from garden web but from my regular email account. i will resend the same email again after this post.

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Laura- very exciting to see!!! Am I able to get some seeds from Big Budda? ;-). Would love some if at all possible!! Lucky you. Maybe one day I hope - I could also experience a seed pod. ;)

Chuy

Original Author
    10 years ago

No problem Chuy!!! I'll send them out to you and I need the address for the other two guys... One from MN. The other. ?

Final bump for Lisa... I think we lost her... To bad we did t get a chance to help ... She seemed like she really wanted it. I hope all is well.

Take care..

Laura.

I won't bump for help again... ;-)

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Thanks Laura.

Chuy

• LPBridge
    10 years ago

So sorry I disappeared on you Laura! I thought it would email me when someone responded but apparently I was mistaken! It had been so long, I thought I'd check back anyway and I'm glad I did! I responded on the other thread and I also sent you an email through GW. Thanks so much!

• jv44
    10 years ago

Hi Laura~

I sowed 14 of your seeds (from Big Buddha, I believe) on the 14th......so far 8 have germinated and are standing tall, while 4 of the remaining 6 are beginning to sprout as well!! Thanks again for your generosity and I hope one day I can have my own seed pods to share seeds with others!

Mike in MN

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Mike, you so brave to sowed the seeds in winter with MN weather.

Marie

• jv44
    10 years ago

Marie, I'm growing my adeniums under lights--I have a single 48" long fluorescent fixture with 12 T5 High Output bulbs....this is only 21" wide versus the standard 24" wide w/ 8 T5 bulbs.....so the light is VERY concentrated within my growing area. And, I'm using a 48" x 20" electric seedling mat for heat from below. My adeniums grow like weeds under this light!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH