Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pachypode

My Adeniums

pachypode
10 years ago

I love looking at other peoples Adenium photos and I thought it only fair to add a few of my own.

Adenium sp. Oman

Comments (37)

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adenium oleifolium

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adenium arabicum

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adenium arabicum "Thai Socotranum"

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adenium arabicum

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adenium arabicum

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adenium arabicum (large red flower form)

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adenium swazicum

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adenium multiflorum

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adenium boehmianum

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

True Adenium socotranum

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

True Adenium socotranum

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adenium crispum

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adenium crispum grafted on to Adenium somalense stock

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adenium somalense

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adenium somalense

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adenium sp. Tanzania

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adenium sp. Tanzania

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adenium obesum (Mombasa form)

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adenium obesum

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adenium obesum

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And finally, this Adenium was sold to me leafless as Adenium multiflorum. After it leafed out it was obvious that it was not. I think it's probably a form of A. obesum or possibly A. somalense.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Pachypode,
    Quite the collection there. Nice to see all the different species and the way that you have them trained.m thanks so much for sharing your photo's.
    Rick

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rick for the kind words and for taking the time to look at the photos. I know there are a lot.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

pachy, that is an impressive group you have there. Nicely chosen for the pots they are in and I am always a rock hound. I like how it looked like you had 2 together. Were these grafted together or grew this way? Can't wait to see them in flower. Paula

• longaeva54
    10 years ago

Nice collection ,you have most of adenium species. Which is your favorite one and are they equally easy to grow ?

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Pachypode,
    Where did you get your Tanzania, oliefolium and oman species from?
    Did you start them from seed?
    I have most of them but not either of those.
    I love the shape of the caudex on the Tanzania and having the thin leaves really adds to it.
    Wonderful,
    Rick

• jv44
    10 years ago

Excellent plants--I really like how each is presented as a work of art, with accenting stones set in nice bonsai pots....these are like miniature scenes. This gives me some ideas to use my Lake Superior agates with my adeniums. Thanks for posting all these photos of your collection, pachypode--they're an inspiration!

Mike in MN

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

What a great collection you have there. Are they grown from seed or have you bought as plants? Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, I'm just curious! It's good to see pics of the various species of DR's all together, a good reference thread for us...thanks for taking the time to post them for us to admire. I do like the way they are displayed in the shallow bonsai pots...brilliant!
    Gill UK

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone.

ilovetogrow, these are two plants together, which (as they get older) I'm hoping will fuse into one.

longaeva54, they all seem pretty easy to grow, but some species are much slower growing than others.

jv44, thanks for the kind comments and I'm happy to have inspired you. I'd love to see what you do with your Adeniums and Agates. I'm sure they will look fantastic!

greenclaws, all were bought as plants, most of which I either grew larger or in some cases pruned shorter before I potted them into the pots they are in now. I actually should have taken pictures earlier in the year when they were all leafed out. Hopefully come this spring I'll do that, so the difference in leaf shape can be seen on all of them.

rcharles, I bought both of these A. sp. Tanzania from Out Of Africa Plants nursery. The A. oleiofolium and the A sp. oman I got from Arid Lands Greenhouses. I think Arid Lands has all 3 of these Adeniums available now. I also love the look of the caudex on sp.Tanzania. Not only it's shape but the caudex has a really nice color to it.
    I also have the Adenium pictured below, which I purchased several years ago as Adenium sp. Tanzania, but it has a very different looking caudex. However, both the leaves and the flowers look exactly like the ones on my other Adenium sp. Tanzania, so it must be that species. Maybe it was grown from a cutting and that's why the caudex is different?

• Pagan
    10 years ago

I'm curious too, Gill. Particularly I am curious about the age of each plant.

This thread rocks, Pachypode. I bet you have other caudiciforms.

Pagan

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a closer look at the caudex.

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

fakechuchi, I don't know the exact age of any as I did not grow these from seed.
    Yes I grow other caudiciforms. My main interest is actually in the genus Pachypodium. Below are two Pachypodium in my collection.

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The plant pictured above is Pachypodium saundersii. This one is Pachypodium densiflorum var. brevicalyx

• Pagan
    10 years ago

Oh wow. Those are jaw-dropping, Pachypode.

This November will only be my first year in the plant kingdom. Before that, they were all salads to me. One year later after my first adenium. I now have two dorstenias and two pachypodiums--P. gaeyii (I like the metallic look) and a P. brevicaule seedling grafted onto either P. gaeyii or P. lamerei (see photo below). I am trying very hard not to kill any of them this winter.

I was thinking of getting a true Adenium socotranum plant since I already have obesum and arabicum seedlings that I am being impatient about. Out of Africa is the only source I am familiar with. Did you get yours from them as well?

Thank you for these pictures.

Pagan

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Pagan,
    I wonder if you could get one from Ken Wall of Florida. He is the one that I was able to get true Socotranum seeds from (through Adenium Group).
    The other might be Chris Durham, worth a check or call Lithops Greenhouse and ask Gene Joseph.
    Rick

• pachypode
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pagan,

Happy plant collecting anniversary! It can be an addictive hobby, but a lot of fun.
    I did not get my A. socotranums from Out Of Africa, but I think they have seedlings available now. Also I'm pretty sure Arid Lands Greenhouses has seedlings as well. Both nurserys have reasonable prices for such a slow growing plant.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths