Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantvba

My New Adenium is Loosing Leaves

plantVBA
9 years ago

Hello,

I am totally new to plants. bought this plant about a week ago; it is my first pant ever. I put it in my office desk and for some reason its not doing well. I think its dying.

Symptoms:
- Loosing leaves
- Dark spots on the leaves.
- Yellowish leaves.

What I have tried:
- Not watering (I watered it twice since I bought it and I read online that I am not supposed to water it so often; once every 4 weeks should be fine)
- Placed it near the window to get sun.
I have attached some pictures.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Comments (5)

• ginger9899
    9 years ago

Congratulations, you got a nice Adenium. I'm sure others will answer with their advice, but I think your plant is probably fine. The leaf issues you describe sound like they are naturally falling, either because it is adjusting to a new environment or it is going dormant. I am not sure where you are in Florida but I am in SW and my leaves are doing the same thing. Some are going dormant, some aren't. I would say continue to water very sparingly unless you see signs of growth (it could happen if it is warm enough and sunny enough inside), in that case still water cautiously but only when soil is dry way down. If no new growth assume dormant and just give it a little bit of water once a month or so like you started doing.

I like your monkey BTW :)

- Heather

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

I agree with what Heather has told you and she is from a similar climate.
    Rick

• plantVBA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks a lot for the response Heather.

I am in SW Florida too. I am so happy my plant is ok. I will follow your advice :) I will keep posting on the progress.

The monkey was a gift from a friend :)

Thanks again.

• plantVBA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It seems my little plant wants to wake up after all. I know its a little early to say; but there small leaves growing :)

I water it a little today to help her wake up

I will be posting more pictures when the foliage is full

BTY: I named my plant "Sophie"

Thanks

• jedobaTX9b
    9 years ago

That's a nice plant!

I have several adeniums in large clay pots. Even 9b isn't always warm enough to support these guys being outside year round, so when the short winter period arrives, I bring them inside and place them under lights. I have read in adenium research how plants going dormant increases the likelihood of failure from minor afflictions which could have been "grown through" if the plant were actively growing.

In the past, I used two small banks of LED grow lights. However, I recently bought two, four-bulb fluorescent lights (4 feet long). I purchased them at Home Depot for a combined $100.00. I also decided to hard trim my adeniums this year. I trimmed my two large plants on all except 1-2 branches on each. I left those branches to ensure that the plant had energy coming in from at least those leaves, and I will cut them after more new branches are showing. I want to avoid any downtime that might weaken the plant.

Placed under these lights I am able to do all of the things I should not do to an adenium in winter. I water them almost daily. I fertilize them.

I would recommend placing your plant in a warm location with at least some additional lighting. I would also recommend something that I should have done sooner to my first adenium: trim the spindly limbs. Cutting a main limb at the correct length will result in the growth of 2-3 new limbs - greatly increasing the number of limbs, and thickening the growth.