Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pagan_

Autumn Bloom!

Pagan
9 years ago

Yo, everyone! I only have time to post this pic. I mean, jeez, I counted about 8 pages of posts I've missed. Back in a bit!

{{gwi:354168}}

Pagan

Comments (13)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Wonderful bloom, Pagan. Glad to see you back.
    Rick

• Pagan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Rick. I've been looking at your blooms as well and they are fabulous! I am down to 4 adult plants now, after losing two last winter. Fortunately, all the seedlings are alive despite the utter neglect this past summer. Still no seed pods this year but that's fine.

Is it colder than usual everywhere else too?

Pagan

Bonus pic

• maark23 TX/8a
    9 years ago

Great bloom, Pagan!

I need to get myself a white flowered variety. Glad to hear that your seedlings are doing fine.

Mark

• ginger9899
    9 years ago

Love the white bloom! It's colder than usual even here in Florida, down to 46 this weekend. Grrrr.

-Heather

• Pagan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, all! I was actually surprised that this plant bloomed at all, right when it was getting cold. So it's in a prime indoor location now because there are more buds on it.

Also, I have decided to acquire one more plant, teehee. And I will be experimenting with grafting this winter, yay! I want more Frankindeniums.

Pagan

• Lorraine Miller
    9 years ago

Beautiful pagan. To my Surprised mine is still blooming. Brought it in garden room bec weather hit 45' wondering if I should bring inside house. Brought 3 small ones for friends for Xmas. Hopefully they will bloom next year for them. Is there anything that needs to be done to get all thru the winter? I Also have another adenium pink blooms. Beautiful. When I got it last year it was 3" tall now as you can see it has really grown was going to cut back for more fullness for next year until I saw it looks like it wants to bloom again. When is a good time to cut back for more fullness???. Picture will follow.

• Lorraine Miller
    9 years ago

When I brought last year, it was 3" tall. Bloomed beautiful over the summer? This is after one year, want to cut back for fullness, how far should I cut back, should I wait to see if they bloom again or do it now? Should it be fertilized during the winter, understand should only water maybe once a month until spring?

• Lorraine Miller
    9 years ago

Three to the left belong to friends for Xmas. Looks like another bloom on one of my adeniums. Love the fullness for the plants. Don't think these will need to be cut back. What do you think? Any suggestions

• Pagan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Mrainey!

White adeniums are so pretty! Yours looks like it's about to erupt in some fantastic blooms.

Individual plants behave differently, from my experience. First remember that these things need warmth and sun. I have adult plants that dropped their leaves early on in October so I just put them in a sunny window of a room that gets relatively colder than my plant room.

I also have adult plants blooming in my office where the temperature is around 25C (about 77F) during the day and no lower than 16C (60F) at night. This is really critical. In that room they behave as if it's summer (ish) so I treat them the same way as I would in summer. They get water every week and weakly fertilized every two to 3 weeks.

Not everyone does it this way but personally, I have had no problems pruning adult and established plants even during the winter. I do not like tall and gangly adeniums so I treat them in a way so they will grow tight and compact. Since I keep some of them very warm indeed, the pruning doesn't bother them at all.

The only thing to do before bringing them indoors for winter is to make sure they are clean and pest-free. I hose them down to knock out all the bugs that may be stuck to the plant. Then I take them to a shady location and for three days they are sprayed with neem oil. I also drench the soil with water and Gnatrol. Once indoors, I spray them again, this time with a weak solution of 3 parts water and one part rubbing alcohol.Throughout winter I water them with Gnatrol (one tablespoon per gallon). And If I am feeling paranoid I spray them with alcohol.

I do all these things because I want to avoid annoying infestations indoors, I found it's better to be ahead of it than behind it. I also do not like using chemical pesticides. Treated this way, after a month indoors, adeniums go back to the fantastically low-maintenance plants that they are. The dormant ones get an occasional sip of murky Gnatrol juice, the active ones get more water and a lot of light.

This is the part where the gritty mix is really different from the usual potting soil--it is unbelievably easier to control bugs in the soil. Gnats and flies do not thrive in gritty mix, not even in 5-1-1.

I hope this helped!

Pagan

P.S. I'd love to see a picture of that second plant showing the entire body.

• Lorraine Miller
    9 years ago

Hi Pagan this is the second picture. I have neem oil and can use alcohol and water. However. Have had the plants in my garden room for a couple of weeks. I think this is the best light I have other than outside. I was thinking about using a floresant light to cover all my adeniums. Do you think that will help since they are not getting the bright sun.

• Pagan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wowza. I actually like the proportions of that plant, Mrainey. If it was my plant, I would trim no more than 3 inches from the tip of each of the branches, thus keeping the general spread more or less the same, just a bit shorter and less lanky than it is now.

Nice orchid!

Pagan

• Lorraine Miller
    9 years ago

Thanks.... When would be the best time to cut it back. It looks like it wants to grow buds. Also what is gnatrol???. what is gritty mix??

• Pagan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

{{gwi:354170}}

Bonus shot. Mammilaria something or other
    {{gwi:354171}}