Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haworthia

Need Help: Rotting of Adenium Tips

haworthia
9 years ago

The several tips on two of my adeniums are rotting. I cut of the rotten tips thinking this will solve the problem then it rots even more. One is grafted which I'm afraid will be lost to the original plant if this madness does not stop.

Sorry I don't have pictures. The plant is dormant with no leaves and I have held off watering and moved it to a sunny window. the caudex appears healthy otherwise.

Any solutions or suggestions ( I have use elmer's glue to seal the cuts Vs without glue on some cuts too but stills rots ).

Thanks

Comments (14)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Haworthia,
    My first thought was that possibly you had not cut back far enough the first time?
    Tough to know and I can understand your concern, especially with the grafted plant.
    I would be tempted to lift it and check the whole plant over, if you have not done so already.
    Rick

• haworthia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Rick. Here are pictures

• haworthia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another image

• haworthia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another image

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Haworthia,
    You have a multi grafted plant, I see. The branches that have been cut and the bark is shriveling would be a concern. I feel that these need to be cut back, making sure you get any diseased area out.
    Many of the branches are showing normal healing process and this is what the others should look like.
    I know it is tuff to cut and and especially when you are getting close to the graft union.
    Make sure that with every cut, you sterilize the knife. Not sure if people use cinnamon on above soil cuts? I know they do with roots.
    The cambium layer must be white with no Biege or brown within it, if not you need to go back a bit more.

I hope get this under control.

Rick

• haworthia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Rick.I have been doing what you have recommended. What you are seeing are tips that I have already cut off several times. It is not healing but rots after every cut. It looks great when I trimmed it off initially, then it turns to what you see in the photos a week or so later. I will try to sterilize the knife.

I got this plant from Rinoa and I have sent her pictures too for advice. I will post her advice too. I do have some cinnamon and will wait to hear from Rinoa to try it. I'm desperate. Thanks again Rick

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

You could send a note to Chris Durham from Durham Botanicals. He has always been a great source of information for me and very giving of his experience and knowledge.
    Give him a try and ask if he would be so kind to look at
    your photo's that you have shown on this site. He used to
    frequent on occasion.
    Rick

• haworthia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rick,
    Rinoa gave the same suggestions as you did with the exception of whats lies beneath..THE ROOTS. I think the roots maybe the cause. I did found some rotting of roots and caudex closer to the roots. I trimmed it off and applied cinnamon. I would love to uproot the whole plant but wants to wait to see how things go since we are in winter season I have held off on watering for 3 wks now and will continue to do so until I see any leaves or any indication of growth .

I have few adeniums from Chris at Durham Botanical and he is awesome. I will contact him for his suggestion too if no success in a week. I have already accepted the fact that I may end up with the original plant..without grafts if this fails. Hoping not to lose the entire plant.Thanks again. I truly appreciate this.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Haworthia, in India. Sundaram and staff at Adeniumsindia hang plants for up to a month and then replant.
    It would not hurt your plant now, to lift and examine the roots. Just keep in a warm situation. Better to check sooner, than later to save your plant.
    When you replant, use soil which is not moist.

I have just discovered that one of my larger plants has a rotten branch. It is tuff when it is a special plant to you.

Rick

• Pagan
    9 years ago

Haworthia, if it helps, I have uprooted and performed radical winter surgery on an adenium before. Keeping it in a room with temperatures at 25C and never below 18C at night, it survived and thrived the following summer. I would have just kept it out of the pot the whole winter but that room was also humid so I put it back in. It developed leaf bumps after a while but did not push out the actual leaves until spring.

At some point, I ended up deciding that the worst I could do to the troubled plant was kill it while it was already dying anyway.

Good luck,
    Pagan

• haworthia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pagan and Rick,

You guys are awesome.Thank you very much. I will follow your advice and give you update with progress. I wish I had ask for advice sooner :)

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Haworthia, I hope you can save the rot branches.
    Plenty of good advices already in this thread.

Marie

• haworthia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Guys,
    Thank you so much. I wish I took action faster as you suggested.
    Will post pictures soon, most likely with a new thread. Rick, you were right about the roots The entire problems was caused by rotted ROOTS. It was horrible. Like pagan did with her plant, I had to do radical surgery ( lots of amputations).

I will post pictures soon by the end of the day with new thread title "Update on Rotten adenium tips= Rotten Roots

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    9 years ago

Thank you I am having the same problem on some of my recent purchases. Time for a look see under the soil.