Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
somalenese

root training

somalenese
10 years ago

hello everybody,
can someone tell me what is root training ?
i'm new to this forum
have been reading some interesting discussions
thoroughly enjoyed
thank you garden web
and thank you all................

Comments (17)

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

Are those yours in the pictures? Wow, what a sight. Siamadenium has a lot of info on their web site with diagrams about root training that you may find interesting. Hope it helps.

-Heather

• teyo
    10 years ago

what you see are adeniums that have been cut to remove all of their roots. usually at the widest point of the caudex, or the point before it starts to branch of into twists and bends. these plants will now be dusted with fungicide and hung somewhere in the shade (but warm) and left for a few weeks or even a month or two to create a callus on the cut site. From this callus new roots will develop once the conditions become favorable (when the plant is potted).
    When new roots are formed the grower can then arrange them in the desired form, usually a sprawling one. these new roots will be very uniform in size and shape and therefore look nicer when arranged, in comparison with the original roots which will grow this way or that, be thick,thin, straight, twisted etc.
    Root training is a sort of sculpting, and in my opinion this method right here works much much better than the usual "cut the taproot" on a tiny seedling and then hope it works out ok. these plants have a lot of reserves in the caudex and will recover and grow much faster,while seedlings will often rot or stagnate for a long time.

• somalenese
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gee thanks teyo
    that was really helpful
    now i got the basic
    very precisely explained
    now i can go ahead and try
    these in march
    thank you very much

• somalenese
    Original Author
    10 years ago

no ginger
    they are not mine
    but i wish...
    anyways wishing has no end
    they belong to adeniums india.com
    but i'm planning to start my own this spring
    thank you ginger and teyo for my first follow up

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

Good luck with your root training this spring Somalenes, hope we get to see how it turns out for you!

-Heather

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Hi there and welcome to the forum, I hope you get some useful information from us here....I'm sure you will as we are a friendly bunch! Please ask away if there is anything you need to know.
    Have you got many plants at the moment? We like to see pics of other peoples plants, so it would be great to see what you have, we can never have too many pics! Hope to see you around often.
    Gill UK

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi!!!

Wanted to say welcome to the forum!!!

Please keep us updated on your trees and if you try this method.

Interesting training method...

Have a great day!!!

Laura

• rooftopbklyn (zone 7a)
    10 years ago

This "root training" Adenium technique reminds me of one of my all time favorite gardenweb threads, and the technique used to build a new root system on an established tree. This thread: great thread on rebuilding roots. The thread is actually about an adenium, despite the initial misidentification as a schefflera.

I wonder what the pluses and minus are of chopping the caudex in the middle, vs. using the existing root system to kickstart a new one by making holes and burying deeper. Really interesting stuff (to me, a hapless plant geek in the making).

Daniel

• somalenese
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks Heather
    thanks Laura
    Daniel thank you
    and Gill
    thank you
    i have around 50 DR's 90% of them i bought from April to October this year.
    but all are in bad shape
    having different problems with my DR's
    i was thinking of starting a new page with photos and problems.
    my attraction (or is it addiction) to adeniums started this year.
    I felt seasonals require lot of time and energy and they die after 6 months thus all energy wasted
    On the other hand vegetative plants require lot of space and you don't have much to do except watering
    but DR's have both
    i feel spending energy on DR gives better dividends
    But only problem was that no one knows much about DR's
    BUT
    with this forum i think you all can solve this issue
    and my adeniums can grow and nurture under the light of guidance provided by you all.
    anurag

• somalenese
    Original Author
    10 years ago

common problems that i am facing

1. most of my flower dry and fall off
    2. plants have small tuft of leaves on apex of the branch rest of the branch is devoid of leaves they just become yellow and fall off
    3. under surface is reddish . i heard its because of phosphorus deficiency
    anurag

• souradeep1982
    10 years ago

hi anurag,
    it's dificult to advice without knowing the growing condition etc.But do not worry much about bud dropping, as it may happen in first year due to acclimatization.It will be all right next year.keep the plants in full sun.DRs respond well to regular low dose fertilization.Feel free to ask if you have anything to ask.

• somalenese
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks souradeep
    i will post photos as early as possible
    kolkata is heaven for gardeners
    what potting mixture do you use ?
    almost all my plants are from kolkata

anurag

• souradeep1982
    10 years ago

anurag
    I use coal chips (5mm) 3 part , vermi compost 1 part for DR.You can make your own with materials available to you but keep in mind that it should be free draining yet able to retain moisture allday long.water the plants every day with low dose fert (3:1:2) except winter months.
    For eample I use 20 gms caltium nitrate, 12 gms super phosphate, 4 gms potatium sulphate & 4 gms mag sulph per 20 ltr water. I also spray micro nutrients every month.
    Let me know where you live.Happy gardening.

• parodise
    10 years ago

Souradeep,
    what do you mean by "spraying micronutrients"? Spraying the leaves or the medium surface? Do you use your own "concoction"? Thanks.
    Lena

• somalenese
    Original Author
    10 years ago

souradeep
    i live in agra
    there are no nurseries at my place
    but the so called nurseries which are there are like big size kiosk where they buy stuff from outside like kolkata for perennials
    dehradoon , barelie, nanital for seasonals
    none of them grow a single plant
    so plants are generally expensive

you said coal in potting mix is it wood charcoal or stone coal
    thank you
    anurag

• souradeep1982
    10 years ago

Lena
    I spray both surfaces of the leaves with ws micro nutrients at morning or in the evening when the sun is not too bright.
    Anurag
    by coal I ment coal used for making fire in houeshold "chulhas". I am sorry that I don't know any english word for it.In westbengal small balls are made out of crushed coal to be used as fuel. The substance I use is basically the waste that remains after seeving the coal.we call it "ghaysh" in bengali.

• souradeep1982
    10 years ago

here's a pic. hope it helps.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!