Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbrow156

Blooms and Seed pods

sbrow156
11 years ago

Hey everyone! My "stump" as i call him has now bloomed after his big pruning a few months ago. Thought i would share him with you :) The first couple of flowers were abit distorted and didnt open properly but they seem to be more normal now. I wonder what caused that? Also my seed pods are starting to turn brown on my other plant. I am excited to have some seeds and some babies soon :)

Comments (19)

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

stump again :)

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

and again/.///

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

seed pods on my other plant

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pods again.... :)

Sarah

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Sarah, I like your stump. It looks very good after prune.
    Don't worry about the blooms, it will bloom better next spring.
    Marie

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thankyou Marie! Yes its a shame the cuttings didnt root as they were quite large and would have been nice. I am trying to root some smaller red and black cuttings at the moment. Lets see how i do haha. Oh and someone mentioned that the sap was toxic for dogs awhile back? when i mentioned our dog chewed one of the cuttings up. Well i caught him the other day with one i had drying on the table...I took it off him n he started running around stupidly and foaming at the mouth. *sigh* needless to say i had to go wash his mouth out with water. I put the cuttings in soil next to my other plants. Now with the plumeria which he doesnt touch any more thanks to another sap encounter he wont go near my plants at all! :)

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Stumpy's looking good and it looks like there's quite a few more buds developing. You might want to wrap the pods so they don't split and have all the seeds blow away. I was surprised at how many seeds I got from a single pod, about 50 good ones. There were another 10 or so that were kind of skinny and non viable looking.

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ahh u recon it's time for that now? I thought it still might be awhile till they open?

• karyn1
    11 years ago

You said that they're turning brown. If so then they'll be ready soon. If they are still green you have time. I lightly wrap the pods on my ceropegia (same type of pods) once they're full size.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Put old knee-high stockings/tights over the pods and they will be able to breath just fine and keep all your seeds from blowing away.

Stumpy's looking great! Have you poked around beneath the soil to see if a fat caudex is hiding down there?

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will need to repot soon as the pot he came in really isn't optimal but he's just doing so well which is why I've waited so long... I will sometime soon though

• marialeal20 Leal
    10 years ago

Hi just a question please could you tell me what you used to pot this baby up. Thanks

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I ended up using a terracotta pot. I raised him about 3 inches as there was a lot of awesome roots under to be exposed. I don't think it had ever been raised. I will repot it again this December as that will have been one year since the last repot..and raise it again an inch or so... It seems to have done well but is loosing a lot of leaves at the moment. It is starting to bloom again though. It is just coming into spring here at the moment .

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Always love seeing this thread, Sarah!!!

Hope you are well!!!

Laura

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes haven't been posting in abit just lurking but all the babies (plants ) are good as am I haha

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Sarah,

I really like the photos of your stumpy. I am curious what the caudex looks like now that you raised it a bit. Sounds like you are enjoying your plant.

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is an updated pic of him on the left...the one that had the seed pods is on the right...I will be raising him again towards the end of this year...dont know whether i should prune him yet or wait for it to grow abit more...guess ill decide later....what do you think re pruning?

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Hey, look at that nice caudex that was hiding under there! Both look good, Sarah!

You could probably prune now. You're heading into spring, right?

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    10 years ago

it is spring now yes but does it really need pruning? i mean the branches are so thin...will it benefit from pruning now or should i wait till they are longer and thicker?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths