Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blooms and Seed pods

Posted by sbrow156 Cairns QLD Australia (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 18:25

Hey everyone! My "stump" as i call him has now bloomed after his big pruning a few months ago. Thought i would share him with you :) The first couple of flowers were abit distorted and didnt open properly but they seem to be more normal now. I wonder what caused that? Also my seed pods are starting to turn brown on my other plant. I am excited to have some seeds and some babies soon :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blooms and Seed pods

• Posted by sbrow156 Cairns QLD Australia (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 18:28

stump again :)

o

Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 18:29

and again/.///

o

Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 18:31

seed pods on my other plant

o

Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 18:33

pods again.... :)

Sarah

o

Sarah, I like your stump. It looks very good after prune.
Don't worry about the blooms, it will bloom better next spring.
Marie

o

Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 18:54

Thankyou Marie! Yes its a shame the cuttings didnt root as they were quite large and would have been nice. I am trying to root some smaller red and black cuttings at the moment. Lets see how i do haha. Oh and someone mentioned that the sap was toxic for dogs awhile back? when i mentioned our dog chewed one of the cuttings up. Well i caught him the other day with one i had drying on the table...I took it off him n he started running around stupidly and foaming at the mouth. *sigh* needless to say i had to go wash his mouth out with water. I put the cuttings in soil next to my other plants. Now with the plumeria which he doesnt touch any more thanks to another sap encounter he wont go near my plants at all! :)

o

Stumpy's looking good and it looks like there's quite a few more buds developing. You might want to wrap the pods so they don't split and have all the seeds blow away. I was surprised at how many seeds I got from a single pod, about 50 good ones. There were another 10 or so that were kind of skinny and non viable looking.

o

Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 6:22

Ahh u recon it's time for that now? I thought it still might be awhile till they open?

o

You said that they're turning brown. If so then they'll be ready soon. If they are still green you have time. I lightly wrap the pods on my ceropegia (same type of pods) once they're full size.

o

Put old knee-high stockings/tights over the pods and they will be able to breath just fine and keep all your seeds from blowing away.

Stumpy's looking great! Have you poked around beneath the soil to see if a fat caudex is hiding down there?

o

Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 16:18

I will need to repot soon as the pot he came in really isn't optimal but he's just doing so well which is why I've waited so long... I will sometime soon though

o

Hi just a question please could you tell me what you used to pot this baby up. Thanks

o

Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 4:58

I ended up using a terracotta pot. I raised him about 3 inches as there was a lot of awesome roots under to be exposed. I don't think it had ever been raised. I will repot it again this December as that will have been one year since the last repot..and raise it again an inch or so... It seems to have done well but is loosing a lot of leaves at the moment. It is starting to bloom again though. It is just coming into spring here at the moment .

o

Always love seeing this thread, Sarah!!!

Hope you are well!!!

Laura

o

Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 17:04

Yes haven't been posting in abit just lurking but all the babies (plants ) are good as am I haha

o

Sarah,

I really like the photos of your stumpy. I am curious what the caudex looks like now that you raised it a bit. Sounds like you are enjoying your plant.

o

Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 5:00

Here is an updated pic of him on the left...the one that had the seed pods is on the right...I will be raising him again towards the end of this year...dont know whether i should prune him yet or wait for it to grow abit more...guess ill decide later....what do you think re pruning?

o

Hey, look at that nice caudex that was hiding under there! Both look good, Sarah!

You could probably prune now. You're heading into spring, right?

o

Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 21:30

it is spring now yes but does it really need pruning? i mean the branches are so thin...will it benefit from pruning now or should i wait till they are longer and thicker?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here