Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginger9899

Does Anybody Get Minimal Sun Regularly?

ginger9899
10 years ago

I am wondering if anybody gets like only 4 hours of sun on their Adeniums regularly. I know those of you in areas like the UK do gets less sunlight than those of us in Florida, but I'm wondering if anybody grows their Adeniums with less than 6 hours regularly and if they grow good, or seem to bloom less or stretch more.

I ask because I'm dying to grow mine on my west facing screened porch. In the summer it gets like 5-6 full hours of direct afternoon sun, but that gets less and less as the summer goes by and ends up with only like 4 hours of sun. I have adult Adeniums and also seedlings less than a year old. I'm not sure if the seedlings would suffer or be ok with less sun either. I have always chickened out and moved them outside further after a short time if they grew at all in panic about stretching.

Thanks for sharing your sun habits.

-Heather

Comments (6)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Heather,
    I am not all that familiar to Florida weather, but am with Hawaii, California.
    They would do fine with 6hrs. of sunlight. If your west facing deck is screened, will this not reduce sunlight to the plants?
    Your temperatures will be warmer than many of us for a much longer period.

With my Adeniums, I try to give as much as possible, because my growing period is much shorter than yours. I get one flush of buds each year and some flower at end of summer when light levels become less.
    In Florida you can get two flushes of buds from what I hear.
    Rick

• ginger9899
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes Rick, I do get blooms twice a year. I guess the screen is supposed to reduce the light, but the light is super strong early afternoon bright blazing harsh sun so it doesn't seem so. The days that it is 6 hours does not concern me, but it goes down to 4 hours before too long in the summer. I suppose I just need to do it a whole season and see.

My issue is that outside It is a constant struggle here. Bugs, weather, etc. Constant. I'm whining, I apologize. I think i'm worrying about less sun on my porch when others are bringing theirs in for the winter. I just want someone to tell me "I only get 4 hours of sun a day and these are my gorgeous plants so it works fine" lol.

-Heather

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Heather,

I have a few of my Adeniums in my house in a South East facing window and the garage protrudes a bit so that once the sun is moving into late afternoon it no longer gets sunlight so I would say they only get about 5 or 6 hours a day and as you state this late in the year the hours of sunlight are getting less and less.

Also, we have a LOT of days where it is cloudy so they do not get much sunlight. My plants on the window sill are nice and bushy. But then I did prune them which created them to branch out nicely. I think you will be just fine with them in your screened porch.

• ginger9899
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ladylotus, very good to hear your experience. I will try it a whole year for some and see how they react vs the outside ones. I think I am over thinking things as usual.

-H

• somalenese
    10 years ago

good decision heather

i think i understand your question
    because i also belong to almost same zone (in a different continent though)

harsh sun at times
    alongwith good growth of parasites and disease carrying vectors etc

but a rational guess and experimenting is the key for success of any hobby
    anurag

• parodise
    10 years ago

I'm a newbie with Adeniums, but also get the same question... Our winters (southern Germany) can be a total disaster in that there can be virtually no sunny days at all... I'm also wondering if this will have any significant adverse effect on my seedlings and young plants. I water sparingly and keep the temps from getting too high. So far, they haven't been growing so fast as some of the forum members' young plants I have seen in the pictures here, far from it, actually, so I'm hoping they won't become elongated.
    Lena

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor