Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19803843

Gritty Mix Transition Complete

User
9 years ago

{{gwi:354839}}
A couple days ago, I switched all 33 of these guys from potting soil + perlite to 1:1:1 gritty mix. I ended up going with Bonsai Jack's Bonsai Block rather than Turface, primarily because of the claim that Bonsai Block particles are more uniformly sized than Turface. I was eager to avoid Jessicasgrowincitrus's experience, where half the bag of Turface was wasted because it was too fine. I was pleasantly surprised when I sifted the Bonsai Block and found I had practically nothing to sift; there was barely a dusting on the bottom of my bucket after sifting the whole 3.5 gallons. The chicken grit was only slightly less uniform in size (I went with Manna Pro Poultry Grit), but next time I'd definitely go with pre-graded fir or pine bark fines rather than the Zoo Med ReptiBark that I used this time, as about a third of the bag was larger than a quarter inch. Not the worst problem to have, but now I have to find a good way to crush up the remainder without making a mess.{{gwi:354841}}

These plants are under 4 T8 bulbs for 16 hours a day, and with this setup they seem able to go 3 days before getting a little soft. Of course, I've read that as the roots grow to fill the pot and take advantage of the moisture farther from the base of the plant, they may become able to go longer. Being a diligent disciple of tapla, I'm also applying Dyna-Gro Foliage-Pro and Pro-Tekt regularly. Here's hoping one of these babies flowers before their first year is up!

Edit: if that second picture appears upside down for you, please let me know, and tell me what browser you're using.

This post was edited by And_Pau_Bri on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 19:07

Comments (16)