Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elliotswan

is it time to re-pot??

ElliotSwan
10 years ago

i started growing adenium from seed around 3 weeks ago. The seeds were sown in small plastic grow pots. At this stage they have grown 3 sets of leaves. Should i now re-pot them in larger pots??

Comments (5)

• ElliotSwan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

where's my post??

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Elliot,
    Your seedling looks very healthy. It has lots of room to grow in the pot you have it in. As long as it has drain holes in the bottom, I would leave as is.
    Rick

• ElliotSwan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Rick for the advice. Is it safe to use Kelp on adeniums??

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

I have not used kelp on my Adeniums, but I do use a seaweed emulsion at weak solution on some other plants.
    I am hoping that someone can give you more qualified information.
    Rick

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

ES - there should be no rush to repot until the root mass is congested to the point where roots and soil can be lifted from the pot intact. Your plant should be potted up before that occurs for best growth. Too, you shouldn't be in a rush to move a plant up if you're growing in a soil that retains lots of water, as a larger pot before the plant needs it would compound issues related to water retention. OTOH, if you're using a very coarse soil that won't hold water in a soggy layer at the bottom of the pot, you can plant a seedling in a 55 gallon drum if you like. When using the right soil there IS no upper limit to pot size, regardless of plant size.

When you use a fertilizer like kelp, do you know what you're supplying and when it will be available to the plant? Probably not. OTOH, if you're using a soluble fertilizer that contains all the nutrients essential to normal growth and in a favorable ratio, you know exactly what you're supplying and exactly when it will be available (the minute you apply it) to your plants. When you're using one fertilizer that doesn't include all essential nutrients, or combining fertilizers in attempt to cover the bases, you're either missing elements or over-applying/duplicating one or more (more is more likely) nutrients, so the ratio of nutrients (to each other) in the soil can quickly become skewed. Either course will be limiting.

The goal for fertilizing containerized plants can easily be described. You should work toward ensuring that all the nutrients plants normally secure from the soil are in the soil solution at all times, in the ratio at which the plant actually uses the nutrients, and at a concentration high enough to ensure no deficiencies yet low enough to ensure the plant isn't impeded in its ability to take up water and the nutrients dissolved in water. This goal is easily achievable using one water soluble synthetic fertilizer. You CAN use organic forms of nutrition, like fish/seaweed emulsions or various types of meal, but that makes it much more difficult to achieve the goal.

Al