Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
adenium changing colour

Posted by Len76 Frazer Coast. Qld. (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 19:16

I have an interesting situation that I have never seen before. About 15 months ago I planted seeds from a double pink DR I have. On first flowering I marked the pot as to what colour the flower and from what plant the seeds came from. I got about 30% doubles ranging from white with a slight tinge of pink to a full red. The remainder were singles in the same colour range.
The singles I used to practice grafting.So far out of about 60 attempts I have failed to get one to take. As they failed I cut the back and allowed them to continue growing producing a squat plant, which I quite like. Now here is the strange part.
This plant has flowered for the second season and has changed from a pastel pink to a full red with a yellow centre.(see photo)
You can read my markings on the pot. DS for double seed, and pale pink for the colour of the first flowering.
We have just been through the hottest spring ever recorded and a lot of my plants are changing shade but none to this extent. Most just getting darker in shade but none completely changing colour. Any ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: adenium changing colour

I have heard people from the Australian Adenium group I frequent often speak of waiting for a second blooming on some for much the same reason you have experienced.
Beautiful flower and quite the size (flower).
Rick

o
RE: adenium changing colour

• Posted by Len76 Frazer Coast. Qld. (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 20:15

Hi Rick,I have noticed out of this crop several of the ones I put aside as singles have in the second flowering have thrown doubles, but not changing colour. Also some have both single and double flowerers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here