Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sam401_gw

My adenium has been neglected! please help!!!!!!

sam401
10 years ago

My Desert rose is about 7 years old, and up until about a month ago I thought it was doing fine! Don't get me wrong, its healthy, green, and flowers very well but you will notice in my photos it needs a good hair cut and it needs to be relocated.

Like I said, I thought it was fine until I started forum surfing for info on seedlings and came across all of the beautiful specimens everyone has on here.

I got the plant when it was about 2 years old, I repotted it and then just watered it......

I have a few questions...

It has a seed pod on it should I wait to transplant it or will it handle the move ok?
I have learnt from my 'surfing' that I shouldn't prune and re-pot at the same time, how long should I wait? And can I chop all of the branches at the same time or should I wait between cutting?

I should get some photos up so you can see what im talking about.

This post was edited by sam401 on Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 22:44

Comments (58)

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

Your DR doesn't look neglected to me, nice plant! Looks like a great new pot for it, too. FYI, I think good advice says not to cut all branches drastically at one time but I have cut all super long branches down to a few inches before and it has always branched and leafed out great afterwards. Like Rick said, they seem to always do great after pruning. Please post pics after the repot, we would like to see.

-Heather

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Rick and Heather!
    Yes we are in summer here, its nice an hot and humid. The seed pod is taking its time, its going on 3 months and its still not open. I suppose it'll open when it's ready.
    Thanks to both of you for your good advice, and I definitely will post updates for you.
    I cant wait to see whats going on under the dirt!

Thanks again
    Sam

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Sam I would remove the bag off the pod. I had put nets on mine this summer and here it was rainy and humid. One of my pods rotted as it did not truly dry out. I used twist ties and kept an eye on them. I cut this one off right after the photo. Welcome Paula

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Paula.

Mine are still fat and green! It's taking forever for them to mature. I will be patient though. :)

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok. So I couldn't wait any longer to find out what was under the dirt, and BOY did I nearly fall over when I washed away the dirt!

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bottom of the roots.

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bottom of the roots.

{{!gwi}}

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Holy moly! These roots look like a giant pretzel!

This post was edited by sam401 on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 6:01

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I may need a bigger pot.

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the plant sitting in the pot.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Sam401,
    That is quite a find of a interesting root structure. Very nice.
    You could use the same pot as I would imagine you will raise slightly?
    The pot diameter looks to be fine. If I went with a different pot, I would elect to go with same overall depth, maybe more bowl shaped with out the pedestle form.
    Just my thoughts,
    Beautiful specimen.
    Rick

• Pagan
    10 years ago

Hi sam,

I think it's a good thing you neglected it because in that time that it was undisturbed, it had the opportunity to develop that massively unique root structure. Now you can unveil it! You can clean up some of the smaller roots around the part you will expose.

Pagan

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

looks awesome to me too!!!

Great job!!!

Laura

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I may need to use this bigger pot

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys! I'm still blown away by the treasure I found. With cleaning up the little roots, do I just cut them off? An there is dirt still stuck in the big root "pretzel" do I need to get it all out or is it ok to leave it as is now.

Hi Rick. Yes I definitely want to raise it, im just not sure how much, can I raise it too much? Will I do damage if I go too high? The last pic is of the two pots I have.......... I think I need to go to bunnings and get one in between, just so its got a bit more room to move underneath....... My partner will have a hissy fit if I buy anymore pots though :D

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm thinking of using the bigger pot

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by sam401 on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 20:30

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Sam401,
    I have raised mine probably more frequently than yourself about an inch or two at a time, but I think you can raise them more.
    I know that Laura has potted up a tremendous amount, like lots!!!!!
    Laura or Marie have more first hand experience than myself.
    I do know that sunburn can be an issue for newly exposed caudex. If going to be put in full sun, just expose gradually and keep in one position.

My first thought would be that the new pot might be a bit too deep, but if using a gritty mix of sorts you should not have issues.
    Can wait to see your newly potted gem.
    Rick

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your advice Rick! Everyone is so helpful on this forum n I have learnt so much.

I have decided to go with the bigger pot as the mix is well draining and our weather is hot enough that they need a bit more water than other parts.

I didn't think about the sun burn issue, I'll leave it out of the full sun for a week or two and gradually introduce it back out in time.

Im just not sure about which roots to trim back.

Sam

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Are these roots ok to cut off or are they too big now?

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And these roots up on the right, can they all be cut back as well?

Sorry the picture is on its side.
    Sam.

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After hours of careful planning, i've decided to go with the bigger pot. I have left some of the bigger roots intact as i thought it gave it more character.

Here is my gem all potted up with pruned branches and new growth happening on the pruned ends.

I'm pretty happy with the final outcome, what do you all think?

This post was edited by sam401 on Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 0:32

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the other side.

I also decided to re pot it as it came out of the old pot, i was thinking about standing it up so the branches were more in the middle, but i didn't want to mess with the way it was already growing.

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Sam,
    I think it looks marvelous just the way you have it potted. Sometimes when I have repotted a plant that has been growing with a lilt. I have tried to make it more upright and unless I hard prune it just does not look right.
    It is all in the eyes of the beholder, "You".
    Looks wonderful. Now we can hope to see your photo's of it in bloom.
    Rick

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Rick and Laura!

Thank you, im glad you like it.

I think I'll put it in the smaller pot next time I raise it up, I didn't want to raise it too much the first time.
    I have it on the edge of the patio at the moment so its out of the harsh sun during the day but still gets some late afternoon sun. I'll gradually move it further out as it gets used to it. Thanks for your advice, its made me more confident to actually do this....... I was very overwhelmed when I uncovered the rootball, but with the advice and encouragement I have received I felt confident to help bring out the beauty in my plant.
    Wow Laura! Awesome plant.
    I will definitely post a pick of this one flowering. One if my other plants look like its got more buds growing on it now, so maybe this one mite flower again soon too.

Thank you again!

Sam.

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I decided after about a week that I had to re pot again. I kept an eye on the soil and it was staying too wet.

So I went back to my origional plan and used the smaller pot.

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the back view.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Sam,
    It looks very nice in that pot again all trimmed up.
    Those pot feet are a good thing. I got a bunch from Lee Valley here for all the pots on deck.

Your plant is going to look marvelous when in bloom.
    Rick

• Pagan
    10 years ago

Hello, Sam.

She looks so much better after that last repotting--I am partial to wide, shallow pots myself. Your plant now looks like a proper centerpiece. Please email me some of that summer!

Pagan

p.s. That plant of Laura's is quite the legend around here. Kirk also has a remarkable specimen. There are more but those two are the ones I remember the most.

Rick,

Every time Lee Valley crosses my path, I come away impoverished lol

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Sam, she looks beautiful in the shallow pot.

Marie

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Hi Rick- the pot feet are a must have I think, especially with all of the rain we're having! It helps with drainage, and they look so cute under the pots :p

I can't wait for it to bloom either. After I pruned it, almost every branch sprouted 3 new shoots, so i think it's going to be pretty special.

Hi Pagen- This is the one I was going to put it in originally, but I talked myself out of it! Once I saw it in the bigger pot, I knew it had to go in the shallow one. This is going to be its home for a while now. And as for the weather, I wish I could send some your way! If it's not stinking hot, it's a torrential downpour. My DR's like it though, I have one with 6 or 7 buds on it.
    I'll have to stalk Kirk and have a look at his plants :)

Thanks Marie, im very happy with the final result!

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry. Double post.

This post was edited by sam401 on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 2:06

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WOW! I just found what I think is buds forming on my freshly pruned and repotted beauty. They're forming on the first branch I pruned about 8 or so weeks ago.

Im super excited! As I said at the beginning, I've had this plant for 5 years, but its only been the last 3 or 4 months that I actually started taking an interest in them...... or should I say become addicted to them :)
    Ive been inspecting them twice a day and noticing growth and all sorts of things.

LOL I just had an image of us starting our own 'AA' support group 'Adeniums Anonymous'

Anyway! Here is a pic of the new growth, where what I think is buds, are growing. Its the left branch on the fork.

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is one

This post was edited by sam401 on Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 19:15

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And this is the other one. It's a bit harder to see this one as its still green.

I hope they are buds and are able to mature and open.

This post was edited by sam401 on Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 19:21

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

That is wonderful Sam. Sounds like your having some crazy hot weather there.
    They look like the starting of buds. You will know for sure when they become
    slightly larger. How nice. I am excited for you andcan't wait to see photo's.
    Rick

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rick. Yes, we've had some wet and hot weather with humidity on top. I will definitely post an update if and when they open.

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rick. Yes, we've had some wet and hot weather with humidity on top. I will definitely post an update if and when they open.

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Congratulations!!

I see Buds... ;-)

Love the container too, Sam. Looks wonderful...

Pruning really helps the vitality of the tree and encourages fuller healthier foliage . Win, win....

Looking awesome!!!

Laura

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Laura! I was so nervous about pruning it as I've never done it before. Now that I have seen how well they respond, im going to look at pruning one of my other beauties. :D

• sam401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Laura! I was so nervous about pruning it as I've never done it before. Now that I have seen how well they respond, im going to look at pruning one of my other beauties. :D

• eilandkind
    10 years ago

Your plant looks awesome in the shallower pot. Makes me want to go out and buy a new plant to up pot! You never know what treasure is hiding under that soil. Keep us updated, would love to see it when it blooms.
    Eurika

• sam401
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi everyone! It's been way too long since last time I checked in!

I thought I had better post some progress photos of my big baby! This is the first time its flowered like this since its big haircut 8 months ago. Its tried to flower a few times but the buds would fall off before they got big enough to open.

My seedlings on the other hand are not so good. I think maybe they're getting too much sun..... but I will update that post in the next few days. I also had some interesting results with some of my seedlings and seaweed solution.

Enjoy :-)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

It is nice to see you back, Sam. It is come around very nicely, hasn't it.
    You must be heading into fall now I imagine?
    Rick

• sam401
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Rick, its good to bee back!
    It has bounced back nicely. No, we're just coming out of winter, you wouldn't call it winter as its still about 20ðC during the day an I think it only dipped down to 9ð over night once...... luckily I was asleep and didn't have to suffer through it! :-)
    Since our winters are so mild my plant pretty much flowers all year round and I have never seen it go dormant. I know, I'm showing off now :p
    All the best
    Sam