Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whitelacey1

wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr

Whitelacey
9 years ago

I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while to get organized, I am starting now. I will host a spring RR as soon as the weather breaks. Here are my thoughts: At least 25 named and labeled varieties. No big box store violets (you know which ones I mean!) unless someone has a specific request for one.

If you decide to participate, post your wish list so if someone has that variety, they can pass it on to you.

We had a great rr last fall and I hope the same people will join again plus some new ones! If I get enough people, I will try to break it down into different rrs going to different parts of the country. That way there will be less time in transit for the violets.

Let me know if you are interested!

Linda

Comments (254)

• Melody Rose
    8 years ago

I'm ready :)

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

I really don't have 25 violets to put in the RR. I don't really understand how it works. Or if you just take 3 you put 3 in? Is that how it goes? But I only have 5 to trade and they are from big box. Nothing special and not named. I think I will pass until I get something worthy of putting in the box! But thanks anyway. I put pics of my new violets in my Ideabook. I also posted them twice on the forum but for the life of me I don't know where they are !!!--Rosie

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Hey Linda! Thanks for clarifying about Garnet Elf. For a minute I thought for some reason she was "persona non grata" !! Glad to hear she is alive and well at your house!--Rosie

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Linda---PS. someday I would like to trade for a leaf of her!--Rosie

• ima_digger
    8 years ago

I'm ready for more violets. Can't wait for this to get off the ground and running.

• Brunilda
    8 years ago

Ok I found you! Wow, I have had a terrible time finding this RR. I haven't been getting any of the emails but went back into an old email to see what was going on! How do I get into the loop on the emails ?

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

I am not sure but I think you have to "follow" a person to email them. I am "following" every name I come across. Someone on here said to do that so you can send personal messages. But you can only do it if you "follow' them. To follow someone put your cursor over there name and a box will drop down and click on follow. I am "following" you now. If you follow me also, we can send personal emails to each others profile page inbox.

But if you want a copy of a message from here to show up in say for instance in your yahoo mailbox, I think that is a setting on your profile page? Maybe someone else can explain it better?

This is all I have been able to figure out so far. Oh and how to make an Ideabook!!!!!--Rosie

• fortyseven_gw
    8 years ago

Hi, Linda, So sorry to read about the hospital stay. Glad you are feeling better now. Ok, I can join, I think I can put together enough for a trade. I grow standard AVs. Or semi's. We moved so I need to send you my new address. I will send an email. (I know I keep saying I don't have enough to join, but I think I do now.) Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just a couple of quicks-more tomorrow:

Rosie,
    You do not need 25 varieties to join the RR. Only the person who begins the RR (me) must have 25. You replace as many as you take. Take 3, replace 3, take 23, replace 23, etc.

Also, when my GE gets bigger, I plan to trade her around everywhere. (Hmmm, that doesn't sound quite right but you know what I mean!) The more our varieties are traded, the less likely that they will go extinct.

Brunilda,
    Rosie's right. You must follow a person to be able to e-mail. (Sorry, but this Houzz is a pain.)

Later!

Linda

• Vikki
    8 years ago

You must be following them and they must be following you to send emails. Yup, this is a pain. But at least it's still working.

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Thanks Linda! I think I will be ready for the next RR. Will sit this one out til I can contribute different varieties. Dont' have much now. Just my 5 Optimaras. Trying to trade for different things. Maybe next time!

BUT I will live vicariously thru the posts about it!!!! Rosie

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Wow,,,guess if I am going to have a chance for Garnet Elf I better get crackin' (or at least trading real hard! LOL) Keep me in the loop on that conversation! I wanna be ready!!! Rosie

• Lindee V.
    8 years ago

Linda, not sure how to send a PM, but I am READY for a box to arrive at my house in Tennessee. Our weather is warming up and we have the windows open, so WELCOME VIOLETS!!!

Lindee

• Brunilda
    8 years ago

Do we have a timeline in mind to start the RR. Want to make sure I'm in town when it's my turn so it's a quick turn around.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Brunilda,

The timeline is above and I hope to get the RR started tomorrow!

Linda

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Another tutorial, please! I am trying to e-mail Brunilda. We are both following each other and I still can't figure this out! Grrrrrrrrrr........

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Click on Brunilda's name in her last posting just above and on her page you'll see at the top right inside the colored header a white box that says "Following" and next to it a white box that says "Message." Click on Message.

• fortyseven_gw
    8 years ago

HI, Linda, Did you get my email that I have enough now to join the RR! Perhaps put me towards the end of box II, if that works with your plan. (Not sure if the boxes are the same, and just the locations are different. I pretty much am a standard size AV gal.) Joanne

• Debra Andruska
    8 years ago

Joanne,

You can have my last spot! LOL! I'm wayyyyy at the bottom!

Deb

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Please forgive this random question since I am not in the RR trade. When someone gets the box, what if they take 2 out but all they have to put in is 2 and the box already has one like one of the ones they have to put in? Gosh I hope someone understands my question! In a short,,,,,it would be a duplicate. Should they then only take one? Thanks! Rosie

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

debbya yes you have to "follow" and that person has to "follow" you in order to message them privately from the homepage. Otherwise you talk to them thru this page.

I have clicked on EVERYBODIES "follow" because I want the freedom to go to their profile page and message them if I want to. I am figuring out this system.

And I have it set up thru my settings that every message on this site goes to my yahoo email. That way I don't miss a thing. And no one wants to miss anything about violets!!!! lol

And I do like the Ideabooks. I have made a few. Anyone can look at them. I have one for Trade Stuff,,,,,My AV's & Gesneriads,,,,,,,My Houseplant Fotos etc. My next step is to see if I can upload a word page instead of a photo. Will let ya know.

All I do to get here is type in gardenweb forum then click on my profile in the upper right hand corner to go to my profile page. From yahoo when it tells me someone made a post,,,I click on "message" and it brings me right to the post!!!!

Honestly, I still don't know where houzz put my old trade list. So I just made an Ideabook for trade. That is why I want to see if I can upload a word file or something with just words. You can't post a pic of every single seed and cutting, I understand that. So that may be a dilemma. We will see.

Ok enough for now,,,,,sorry to bend your ear with this! Rosie

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Rosie,

I would think it would be okay, (just my opinion). It would give more than one person the opportunity to grow that variety. Anyone have any thoughts?

Linda

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We're off! Be sure you know where you are on the list above.

To repeat-at least 25 named and labeled varieties
    No big box violets unless specifically requested or they are in addition to the first 25
    Check the wish lists of the upcoming people to see if you can make their day by letting them check off a violet on their list.

Mailing requirements- always use priority USPS. Post when the box
    arrives- and post the delivery confirmation number when it goes out.
    The post office receipt has the 'free' delivery confirmation number that
    allows you to track the package. We need to know where the box is at
    all times! Keep the box the shortest amount of time- plants and leaves
    are delicate and it's important that the box moves quickly! Please be
    generous, add extra whenever possible. This is a fantastic way to clear
    off a shelf, make room for new varieties... groom leaves, add extra
    plantlets that you have. Always make sure they are named varieties.
    Make sure to make arrangements to receive the box if the weather turns
    too chilly. Have someone home to accept it, or have the post office
    keep it- and you pick it up. Don't allow the box to sit on a freezing
    cold step for 8 hours! Communication is so important in a swap! Take
    whatever you want- replace it... with more if you can! The box should
    NEVER be sent out with less than it was started out with! Varieties do
    perish, be prepared to replace some, always pack a box you would want
    to receive! :) Most of all, have fun! I hope each box stop is filled
    with wonderful varieties- some 'lost' and some 'rare' you NEVER know
    what's growing on a persons shelf, sitting in a basement or plantroom!
    We want to hear about the things you found- please share with us, post
    what you took! Don't post what you added.. keep the box contents a
    surprise!

Linda

• shabbu
    8 years ago

Great!!, cant wait to see what we all receive.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    8 years ago

If I missed anyone, let me know and I will fit you in. I hope I did okay; my hospital visit has me a little off my game!

Linda

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm trying to get hold of Dixie. I guess she's not following me. Can someone ask her to so I can e-mail her?

• Debra Andruska
    8 years ago

I read that you don't have to follow people anymore to email- LOL! Is that true? Only because I haven't had the time to add anyone! I know- I'm so behind! I'm forever trying to catch up from yesterday!

I received the brat pack RR- so leaves are doing well, and traveling.... in this semi warm weather!

Deb

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Hey Deb--Gee I don't know. I tried to message someone and it would not let me do it until I followed them. Trouble was,,,,they hadn't followed me yet! So I really don't know.

I just click on the names as I read the posts. And hope that they do the same! Rosie

• fortyseven_gw
    8 years ago

Linda, We moved a couple of weeks ago. I sent you my new address in an email directly.

You can let me know here if you got my email ok with the new address. I don't really have a Wish List, I would be happy with anything.

Kaity, I am getting the box immediately after you, so I sent you my mailing address through the Houzz email. Let me know if you got it.

Melody, I am just before you, so I will review your wish list and see if I have something that matches. It won't be exact, it will be more in the general range of what you are requesting.

Deb, I did get a placement on the West Coast list, which will work out well as we will be traveling later in the month.

Rosie, I think it is totally fine to put duplicates in of what is already in a box. Many of us raise more than one plant of a particular variety.

Joanne

• fortyseven_gw
    8 years ago

Linda, Dixie had noted that she sent you her email and you replied you got it. (I was reading through the old posts to see what people's wish lists were and came across that exchange.)

If by any chance the box went out with my old address on the list, it should be ok. It would be best if it goes to the new address, but the mail is being forwarded.

Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Joanne,

I got your new address and it is on the mailing list. I did have to put you near the top because I am trying to keep the distances as close as possible. I hope that's okay! Thanks for the info on DIxie.

I will send you a personal e mail tomorrow. We need to catch up!

• Vikki
    8 years ago

Would it be a good idea to maybe start a new thread for the actual shipping of the boxes? It's getting really hard to find the actual order list for the RR because this thread has gotten so long and there are multiple lists of names as we signed up. Just a thought.

• Dixie Mahaffie
    8 years ago

I have not been able to keep up with this thread because my husband has been very ill for over a month, in the hospital for last 10 days. I am getting nervous that I'm not fully aware of what's going on and my obligations. I don't want to mess up the RR or have someone disappointed. I think it will only work for me if someone can email me with the specifics of what I need to do. I have never done an RR before.

• Dixie Mahaffie
    8 years ago

My email address is dixiemahaffie@gmail.com

It may be better for me to bow out.

• shabbu
    8 years ago

vikki i think thats a great idea, it is hard to find the list and the tracking info. Glad to hea your feeling better Linda.

minal

• fortyseven_gw
    8 years ago

I am ok with being near the top of the list and have my baggies all ready and labelled for when the box comes to me.

Vikki and Minal, Yes, I would like to to that if ok with Linda. We could label the new thread "Spring 2015 Round Robin Exchange." We can refer back to this list for the sequence and people's requests. The thread for the exchange can be to the point, such as the date arrived, what the person took out, the tracking number and date sent out and to whom. that way, when we want to refer to it for the future, we will have a clear track record of who got the box and what she took. So next time, we can either mix it up or put in different plants. The new thread can be like a log. How does that sound, Linda?

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think the new thread sounds great. If I can figure out how to get to the trades section, I will do it.

Linda

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    8 years ago

New thread started with name Spring 2015 Round Robin Exchange. Everyone go there for updates!

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    8 years ago

Everybody, here is how you get to the new thread. Go to the very top of any of these thread pages and click on the green words, Garden Forums. That will bring up a menu on the left side of your screen that lists Garden Forums. Click on "More Forums." to bring up a new menu of subtopics. At the bottom of the list is the topic Exchanges & Trades. Click on that, it will bring up the list of trade forums in alphabetical order. Click on African Violet Exchange and you will find Linda's post. Please use Linda's post. I did not realize Linda had already done this, so to try it out, I also posted a thread topic at the same time. It has a similar title and has a suggested log of the info we need for each exchange, such as date box shipped and to whom, names of what was removed/replaced, number of times that were inserted (but don't name them, let it be a surprise), name of person shipped to next, and tracking number and date. Comments can be in a separate section at the bottom of the post, if desired. This way, we have a permanent log for the future. Linda, I will go back and bump my post so yours is at the top of the list. I can't delete it, the forum won't let me remove it entirely. Everyone, please check in there. You don't have to post, but just make sure you can find it.

There are several names following me of people I have traded with in the past who have requested something that I promised to send. Maybe the leaves I will put in the box will survive. (Or if not, I can always resend at another time, once the RR is completed.) Looking forward. Joanne

• fortyseven_gw
    8 years ago

For those participating in the RR, the gun has been fired at the starting gate and the boxes are now racing across the country! Box No. 2 has been spotted at its first destination. The tracking and discussion has been moved to the AV Exchange Forum. This comment is just a reminder.

Joanne

• fortyseven_gw
    8 years ago

Melody Rose, I hope you see this. I tried to send you a message on your home page, but I don't think you have messaging enabled. Anyway, I tried to review what you want on your wish lists and am a little confused. Did you want both minis and Russians? I will try to put in the box what I think you will like because I am right ahead of you. I have Ness Ruffled Skies but it is a baby, so ask me after the RR is over and I will send you a leaf. I don't have Gillian but I have other whites, they are also quite small, so again, in a few weeks, ask me and I can send you a leaf. My plants are still recovering from winter.

Joanne

• Melody Rose
    8 years ago

We're following each other now so messaging should work. It's midnight now but I'll message first thing.

• fortyseven_gw
    8 years ago

Parr, I messaged you. However, you are Box 1 and I am in box 2. After the rr is over, if you want me to send you some violets, let me know.

Deb, did you need Baubles?

If we do another rr in the fall i will have a different list as many plants are babies will be big then.

Joanne.

• Debra Andruska
    8 years ago

Thanks for offering SG Baubles, I just put down 2 leaves from a RR

so should be ok. :)

Leaves usually do well for me in the spring/fall. I don't really bother putting leaves down in summer, they always struggle!

Deb

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Eileen,

Are you ima digger? Does anyone know this?

Linda

• Debra Andruska
    8 years ago

Yes, Eileens Imadigger... :)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I thought so but I wasn't sure. Thanks!

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    8 years ago

This explains a lot! I will keep this in mind when sharing leaves with people who live in areas with notable climate changes.

You wrote: "Leaves usually do well for me in the spring/fall. I don't really bother putting leaves down in summer, they always struggle!"

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Climate was one of the things I ran into when putting together this RR. The Southerners were telling me it was getting too hot to mail and the Northerners were saying it was still too cold! AAAGGGHHHHHH...!!!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner