Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbya_gw

wanted: african violet box trade/new swap.. spring! 2014

Debra Andruska
10 years ago

Our other swap is doing ok- so I wanted to try another swap idea. This one might work out better for some. I've heard many don't like round robins. Usually because they hesitate to take leaves from a mixed variety of collections (fear of bugs/mites, diseases, or not wanting leaves that are in a box for any long amount of time.)
Doing a box trade- individual... Each person sends to ONLY ONE- person.
In exchange- you receive a box (from one person).

Let's see if there is any interest... TO- Our regular traders- please feel free to join this too! Hopefully, this provokes interest too for many new participants! We only need a few to make this work.

Box must be sent priority, with delivery confirmation (it's free anyway) you must add 20- to 25 varieties. Leaves, plantlets, plants- violet seeds, etc. Make the box FUN, something you would love to open- an early Christmas present, LOL! Varieties need to be named! One box- individual trade. What's in it- will be a total mystery until you open it! It will be filled with violets----- leaves, plantlets, plants- or a mix!
Make this box special! Share a ziplock bag of your favorite soil mix, or add some solo cups/wicking thread, permanent markers, small gardening bag for supplies, violet notecards. It's really endless what you can tuck in! Or just add a few extra varieties. Make this a swap box that won't be forgotten! :)
If this works out- we can do it again in the fall. This is a nice way to trade with one person, and not have violet material sitting in a box for any amount of time.

Deb

Comments (25)

• parr
    10 years ago

I would like to try your idea. Will check back here .

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Include me.

Linda

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is off to a good start! Will check back in a few days and update the list.

So far we have~
    Deb
    Pat
    Linda

• suecirish
    10 years ago

Add me to the list, Deb. I'd like to participate!

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So far we have~
    Deb
    Pat
    Linda
    Susan C.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Swap Team
    I posted on the RR swap, I would be happy to do a very moderate exchange, ten or less, if anyone is interested. I hope that is ok to post on this thread.
    thanks
    Joanne

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any more interest in signing up? If so do it really quick. I'm going to assign swap Pals with in the next few days (probably on the weekend or Monday)

Deb

• Vikki
    10 years ago

A smaller scale trade, like 10 or less, would work for me too. Named leaves/plugs I assume.

Vikki

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, Let's make this happen!
    Vikki, you want to do a smaller trade, 10. Ok, let's do it. You send to me- and I'll send to you.
    Deb- Vikki

For the regular 'bigger box' trade/ 20-25 varieties....

Pat sends to- Susan C.
    Linda sends to- Deb
    Deb sends to- Linda
    Susan C. sends to- Pat

This should work out really well, we only have a few. Pack those boxes, send them when you can. Post a delivery confirmation number when they are send out, and please post when you receive your box, along with some details of what was in the package so we all can drool! LOL!

Deb

• parr
    9 years ago

sent box on Monday 9114 9011 8986 6498 9495 32 to Sue

• suecirish
    9 years ago

I got my box from Pat yesterday! Wow! What an amazing number and variety of leaves! This was great because I didn't have to choose and replace. They are all mine! There were vintage (my fave!), Russians, Optimaras, LLG. Some great colors and frills!

Thanks so much to Pat, and to Deb who organized this.
    My box is on its way to Pat today!

Sue

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yay! Glad this is going ok. My Husband's bday was this week so I'm super busy!

Deb

• parr
    9 years ago

got the box from Sue today. lots of goodies.Thank you Sue. Ps the more light that the devils back bone gets the pinker it will be. And thank you Deb. Oh and Linda where do you get the Sulfer from ?Email me echoval@mwt.net

• Vikki
    9 years ago

Deb, yours is on its way. I hope you like the assortment I sent.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Deb,

I hope to send yours on Tuesday. I'll let you know when it is on its way!

Linda

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vikki sent a nice assortment of varieties..
    Leaves of Opt. Chagall, Millenia, Maui, Seurat, Pennsylvania, Ma's winter moon, Moon beams, Lyon's montique? Granger's Sugar frost, Psychedelic show.
    Plantlets of- blue mist, Lilac fanfare, Black Swan!

Thank you so much Vikki! This weekend was so busy. I need time to catch up. I'll mail your box out Tuesday, or Wednesday the latest. I'll post the dc# here when it goes out.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vikki,
    Your box was mailed today. Expected delivery Friday.

Hope you enjoy (and don't have) the varieties I sent!

Deb

• Vikki
    9 years ago

Great, I can't wait to dig in and see what's in there! This makes Friday even a better day :)

• Vikki
    9 years ago

I like this one-on-one trade. There's no worrying about the leaves/plants that you don't choose dying off on their way to the next place. We'll have to do this again! Next time I'll have more to trade and can do the full 20-25 trade because my plants will have had time to grow some.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Deb,

My dryer died so I have been shopping for a new one and schlepping my clothes to the wishy-washy.Going to try to get your violets out early next week.

Linda

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Take your time Linda! I totally understand.. I was going to reuse your box to send the plantlets/leaves back to you in. I'm out of boxes again and need to reorder some by USPS online. I love a few select sizes.
    With everyone sending at different times it gives me a chance for a break. It's hard when 5 boxes come at the same time. ;)
    I'm ready when ever you are!

Deb

• Vikki
    9 years ago

Deb, I got my box from you today and I love the selection in it!! I don't have a single one of them. Thank you!! Anytime anyone wants to do a trade, I'm up for it. Just need to give my plants a little time to recover and grow some more leaves again.

• Vikki
    9 years ago

You got it! You'll be hearing from me again on some trades. But right now my plants need a little recover time too.

• shabbu
    9 years ago

Oh I missed out on this trade, oh well I'll join the next one :)

Minal

• Rosie1949
    9 years ago

Wow, this trade is such a cool idea for african violets! Does it include streps or gesneriads?

Don't count me in although I would love to. I have 3 violets, only one is named (Optimara Hawaii), the other 2 are NOIDS.

My only affordable resources are my local stores. Lowe's and Meijers in my city. Mail order is quite above my budget at this time.

BUT that is why trading and exchanging is soooo awesome! I love this site and the posting and pics!!!

Take a look at my trade list! I will trade for Violet/Strep leaves or plantlets!!!!

If I ever build up my violets again I will sooooo be in on this!!!!~~~Rosie

Sponsored