Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbya_gw

WANTED: Spring Round Robin/ '12 Sign ups..

Debra Andruska
12 years ago

I hope we get a really good response this year and lots of people sign up! We need at least 5 or 6 to make this work, or what I add to the box will come back to me, LOL!

Leaves, plantlets, whatever you have extra- can be included in the box. I'll start the box out with 25 DIFFERENT clearly labeled varieties, all named. Take what you want, REPLACE it with something, and please be generous. If something perishes in transit, replace it- this is a fantastic way to exchange varieties for the price of postage. I do require you to send it with delivery confirmation, it costs under a $1 and it so worth it, it allows us to track the box at all times, and proves you mailed it on to the next person.

Box needs to be sent priority so it travels quickly. Priority usually arrives with in 2 to 3 days on average.

Let's see who's interested in joining and let me know if we can start this right away- or should wait a few weeks (if it's cold in some areas) so far with my weather, it looks as though I can start this on Monday. I'll wait to see what Everyone has to say first..

I'm so ready for some new varieties! ;)

Please send me your info/ name, address, etc. by email.

Deb

Comments (61)

• aviolet6
    12 years ago

weather here is fine too.

• suecirish
    12 years ago

I think it will be fine here, too. The weather this week is in the 60s. I don't expect a drastic cold snap.
    Sue

• parr
    12 years ago

Weather here in Wisconsin is good.

• aviolet6
    12 years ago

So when are we starting this? I can hardly wait!!!

• Robin
    12 years ago

I'm looking forward to this, too. I have a request -- along with the VARIETY label, can we please indicate whether it's a mini, semi, or standard, too?

~ Robin

• suecirish
    12 years ago

Deb,
    Another person who wants to join who can't post on the exchange page. Weird!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonority's post

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've had a family fur tradgedy, our cat "Spooky" died (he was going to be 16 in August) sorry I haven't been able to check in every day. Spooky was a little black cat, loved to talk, and be with us every second. He was very pesty in his older years, but I loved it! When he first came to us from a pet shop, as a kitten- he was shy and hid- then with in months he loved to be with us constantly. The vet suspected kidney disease ($400) for a geriatric checkup, so Spooky lived out his life laying on our leather couches, basking on an afghan in the sun! Plus, devoured every tuna flavored cat food available, he loved variety and had no health problems with changing cat food. He lived a really good life! He was so shiny- his entire life looked like shiny black glass, you would of never knew how old he was! ;) He started to look more like a kitten in his golden years. He was the 'runt' of the litter and always small.
    He ate and talked with us (very vocal cat) until the day he died (two hours of quiteness, and died laying on a new cushion on our one of our oak kitchen chairs) when he passed, it was totally unexpected. The vet couldn't even give an exact diagnosis, she only guessed because of his age. His bloodwork came back fine. He just started to lose weight, other than that, he could jump and acted fine.

I'm so sorry that I've put this on hold. I'll check my emails tonight and update the swap. Our weather did turn chilly again (40's last night and tonight) so I'll have to recheck the weather again to see if it's ok to ship the round robin.

The way it looks, I'll start it wednesday or thursday. Eileen will be the first on the list, she's going to be out of time for a brief time, so I don't want problems with the box being 'on hold' for any amount of time, so it goes out to her first.

I'll check my emails tonight, update the list and let everyone know exactly when it goes out.

Deb

• suecirish
    12 years ago

Deb, Sorry for the loss of your special friend. It is always a very sad day when it happens, even if it is expected. We're ready whenever you think the time is right.
    Sue

• parr
    12 years ago

Sorry , I know how that feels I lost my cat that I had for 28yrs ,You get so attached .

• fawnee0214
    12 years ago

I'd like to join, if it's not too late...

Lemme get this right on how this works, we get a box with tons of leaves. You take out what ever you want then put in the same number of different leaves then ship it to the next person? Sorry, this is the first one I have done!

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, I'm back and things are better.. We had a carpet company come to the house and install new carpet in the entire house (plus we had new hand scraped wood floors put in too) so I've been super busy. I still miss Spooky ;) the house is really quiet without him follwing me everywhere and meowing!

I'm ready to start the swap, everything's back to normal.
    I'm going for some insulation today (to Joannes) for quilt batting. It works really well in boxes and keeps things cushioned, plus can be easily cut to size.
    So far we have 6 (I have 6 emails with addresses) if your name is not on the list- you must email me ASAP, I'm going to compile the list tonight/tomorrow and the box is being shipped MONDAY, APRIL 2!

The order in which the box is going-
    Eileen
    Robin
    Tricia
    Minal
    Sue
    Pat

Thanks so much for all the kind emails about Spooky.
    If I wasn't working on the house so much, and cleaning preparing for carpet, I would of been able to do this last week.

Fawnee,
    You asked about a round robin, yes- it's basically what you thought. A box will come to your house- filled with NAMED violet leaves (plantlets) whatever the person before you is willing to share- there might even be a streptocarpus baby or two (named) basically limiting this swap to NAMED items. You pick out what you want, and replace it with the exact amount or MORE. Make it worth the priority postage! Clearly label everything you add- and ship it to the next person. This must be sent Priority/delivery confirmation. Delivery confirmation tracks the package and proves you mailed it.

Ok, the fun is going to start really soon. Last minute emails- do them fast. The box route is already posted, it will not change! But, I can add a person or two to the end. IF we get a lot of interest, I can start one more box.
    This box MUST contain 25 violet varieties at all times! Plus, of course named 'extra' gessies if your really feeling generous. And feel free to add plantlets, small plants, whatever you can.

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, Checked all my email, the swap is officially now CLOSED! I'm going to work on the paperwork, start to fill the box, etc.
    I'll do another swap soon, so please if your interested in doing a trade/swap with NAMED violets- bookmark this page!

The swap lineup is-
    The order in which the box is going-
    Eileen
    Robin
    Tricia
    Minal
    Sue
    Pat

Will post a delivery confirmation number as soon as the box goes out on Monday.

~Swap closed~

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I filled our Round robin box up, as much as I could. It's ready to go to the post office in a few minutes. The delivery confirmation number is 0310 1230 0001 2195 8334 Eileen's first!

Please post when the box arrives and goes back out. Also, post what you took, not what you add. Please be generous! Add what you can to make this swap really special and worth postage!

Lots of really neat varieties in the box! At any time- please feel free to put everything in a bigger box.
    Always use priority/delivery confirmation.

Get your supplies, soil ready- Eileen!
    Almost forgot to mention, keep the box moving really quickly to keep the varieties fresh!

Let the fun swapping begin!

Deb

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Woo Hoo!!! Box came today. Lots of great leaves were in the box. Here's what I took out:
    Celery
    Neptune
    Blue Mint
    Vintage Lace
    Okie Easter Bunny
    Pixie Pink
    Bob's Omega
    Silverglade Bangles
    Playful Spectrum
    Sweet Lady Love
    Blue Lace sport
    species ioantha
    I also took the strep leaf. It was very wilted, so I have it soaking in water with a little sugar. Tomorrow I'll pot it up in some perlite and vermiculite and see how it goes.
    Box is ready to go out first thing in the morning. I'll post the del.conf # as soon as I get back from P.O.
    Debbie we have to do this again toward the fall.
    Thanks for the great selection of violet leaves.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm so glad you liked the choices I added. ;)
    The strep leaf was extra. It needed a good home, and should perk back up, allow it to sit overnight if it takes that long, remember that cinnamon dusted on any cut prevents rot on streps and violet leaves. Lost some of the variegation on the strep leaf- so hopefully it comes back. My plant room has been running a little warm lately, so my streps tend to lose variegation, but returns in late Fall/Winter. The leaf I sent was from a smaller strep that needed to be trimmed.

I love Celery, Neptune- Species Ionantha! I'm sure they will become favorites of yours too!

Deb

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

OK Robin. Box is on it's way to you. Here's the tracking # so you can see how it's moving.
    Del. conf# 9405 5036 9930 0470 5061 00
    Get your cups and soil ready!
    Eileen

• Robin
    12 years ago

Can't wait! I need some advice on the upcoming week-end, however. I won't get this 'til later in the day tomorrow (Friday), and the next day will be Saturday. Should I mail it along on Saturday morning, or keep it until Monday morning and mail it early so I can personally watch the temps on it over Sunday? What do you think?

~ Robin

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

I would mail it on Saturday. The post office moves things every day, even Sunday. So they say!!! If you wait until Monday, that's keeping them in the box two more days.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I checked the delivery confirmation number, the box was delivered on Friday. ;) I'm sure Robin's busy planting- and having fun going through the box! I would of mailed it on Saturday too. The post office does work on Sunday (keeps the mail sorted/traveling) so the box would of arrived either Monday or Tuesday.

Robin,
    Please let us know what you liked/found in the box! Also, if it went back out on Saturday. I'm excited for you- and can't wait to hear what neat varieties you took!

This is sooo much fun! Oh, forgot to mention- the address list of participants is in the box.

Hugs,
    Deb

• Robin
    12 years ago

I took 3; Island Breeze, Bryte Bubbles, and Opt. Little Amethyst. Replaced them with 5. Very excited to start these and see them in person!
    Spoke with a friend of a friend who works at my local little PO; after the convo I thought it wise to safe-guard them myself over the weekend so I am now taking the box to the PO so it will be loaded tonight when it's cooler.
    Tricia, it's on its way to you!

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Checking to see if there are any updates on our little round robin! ;)

Deb

• Robin
    12 years ago

Deb, Trisha should have received it today. I so hope I didn't mess up by keeping the box over the week-end. After the convo with the PO guy, I really thought it was the thing to do. As it was, there were a few leaves in the box that were getting a little ripe when I received it : [ Keeping my fingers crossed!

~ Robin

• aviolet6
    12 years ago

No I did not receive it today but that does not surprise me. It usually takes 3 days for things like this to reach me unless it is from a state nearby.

Tricia

• Robin
    12 years ago

04/08/2012 05:02 PM CDT

Delivery Confirmation # 9405 5036 9930 0473 6700 99
    Shipped to:
    TRICIA GLASS
    PO BOX 16756
    JONESBORO AR 72403-6712

• aviolet6
    12 years ago

I did get it today. Many of the leaves are rotten, some are wilted enough not to ship out but may survive. A few are good. Looks like I will be keeping practically everything & replacing with new leaves. Don't feel bad Robin, not sure an extra day made any difference. Some of these would not have made it anyway!

In good condition:
    Jolly Magic
    Grape Treat
    Rollalong Pink
    Trinket Summer Skies
    Optimara Maui (1 leaf)

Okay:
    Eskimo Kiss
    Optimara Everlove (1 leaf)
    Foxwood Trail
    Mad Cat

May be Salvageable:
    Evergrace
    Nymph Fly
    Glenna
    Okie Grape Festival
    Biscayne Trail (1 leaf)
    Jolly Gold
    Classic Rock

All others not listed:
    ROTTEN

I'll send some new ones tomorrow. Good luck everyone!

Tricia

• suecirish
    12 years ago

Oh, dear! It's really too bad that so many didn't travel well, but I'm learning that survival of the leaves in these RRs is rather luck of the draw - dependent on so many variables. Good luck with all the leaves that you are trying to save, Tricia. I'll be looking forward to the new leaves you are adding to the box. I should be getting it late next week.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Round robins are so much fun as long as the leaves/babies are doing well in the box! It's not so much fun when the stuff comes in the box 'iffy'.. So sorry Tricia, I hope you can save a lot of it! Remember to cut off everything rotten, dust with cinnamon. The cinnamon will stop rot.

Other than that, thanks so much for repairing the robin/refilling it! I started the box out with 26 varieties/violets, 1 strep leaf. Not too sure I'll ever do this again. We had the same problems last time when the box came back. Lots of stuff was dead.

Hopefully, things do a turn-around and go well up until the end.

Deb

• aviolet6
    12 years ago

I'm thinking maybe it only works if each person takes everything that comes to them and replaces it. Of course, if it was done that way we would probably not start out with as many varieties. Anyway, I mailed the box this afternoon. I don't know where I put the confirmation number but when I find it I will post it. Unfortunately it's been one of those days that didn't go well. So I ran out of time and had to take the box to the post office without reaching the 25 leaf number. Still, I think there is a pretty good selection in the box. Just wish I'd had time to add more.

Tricia

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tricia,
    Thank you! ;)

Can't wait to hear the selections you chose from the box, Sue!

Deb

• shabbu
    12 years ago

I was just thinking about the Red Robin Exchange today...I am glad I stopped by to check!!! I cant wait to receive the box, thanks Tricia for shipping it out. No problem, about the # of leaves, I will add some extras to the box.

thanks,
    Minal

• aviolet6
    12 years ago

Here is the confirmation number: 0311 2550 0003 0628 2794
    Most of the leaves I kept are hanging in there so far. Some of them are in water instead of soil, until I see if they get strong enough to put in soil.

Tricia

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I checked on the DC number and the box arrived at Minals today! :)

Deb

• shabbu
    12 years ago

Yes!! I did receive the box today. Thanks Tricia for the great choices. I took out the below leaves:

Ness Dynomite
    Mary Craig
    Robs Bed Bug
    Blue Horizon
    Spectacular
    L'Heure Bleu
    Fiery Sunset
    Moonlit Waters
    Tommorrows Pink Ice
    Festive Holiday
    Yellowstone
    Suncoast Wild Mustang
    Candy Fontain
    and 2 plantlets (trinket bluebird and starry night blue).

I have replaced them with the same number I took out and also added another 11 leaves, so the box should be back to our original 25 total leaves.

The box will ship out tomorrow afternoon to Sue. The delivery confirmation # is 9405 5036 9930 0482 6426 36.

I printed the postage from USPS website, so the tracking information should be updated by tomorrow evening.

Minal

• suecirish
    12 years ago

Fantastic! Minal, great choices, and Tricia, you did a very nice job refilling the box. Now, it's my turn, and I should have the box here by Thursday or Friday afternoon. :)

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Minal,
    Wow what nice choices! I have Candy Fountain and love it! It makes such a nice self forming trailer! L'Heure bleu and Festive Holiday is another few of my favorites. ;) Festive Holiday has mosaic foliage if I'm remembering correctly. I love it for the foliage alone!

Very exciting reading about what's in the box! Sue should be receiving it soon.
    Can't wait to here what Sue chose!

Deb

• suecirish
    12 years ago

Well, I thought I posted last night, but somehow it didn't take! So, quick note for now. I got the box yesterday afternoon and did a quick scan of the contents. Everything looked good and nothing needed to be discarded. I grabbed the one leaf of 'Chanticleer' since I have really been wanting this one and it needed some rehydrating. I have gone through and googled most, and will finish in a bit. Then add my own, pack it up and back to the PO this afternoon. I'll post again once it's gone with the DC number.

Sue

• parr
    12 years ago

Thanks Sue for being so quik I hope I get the box Sat.Can"t wait Pat Violets are like potato chips can"t have just one.

• suecirish
    12 years ago

OK, Pat, the box is on its way to you, and it is stuffed full. Be prepared to drool!
    The tracking number is 0312 0090 0000 3248 4118 You will probably get it Monday.
    Several of the leaves I took had quite a few in the baggie, so I took two and there were still more left to send on. I think everything looks pretty good, so I hope it continues that way.

These are the leaves I took:
    Wiko
    Lucky Ladybug
    Mikinda Girl
    Alamo Ruby
    Rob's Whodunit
    Chanticleer
    Wrangler's Ragtime Cowboy
    Teas' Irish Green Fields
    Heritage Frolic

These are some great varieties, so thanks to all my RR buddies for contributing them to the box. Thanks to you, Deb, for hosting again! It's lots of fun.

Sue

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, what nice varieties! Wranglers ragtime cowboy! Tea's Irish green fields! Nice job filling the box! ;)

Deb

• suecirish
    12 years ago

Anybody have a description for Teas Irish Green Fields? I can't find one anywhere. I did find some information about Teas Nursery in Texas that closed in about 2005 I think. It said they offered AVs. Was that the hybridizer for this plant?

Sue

• parr
    12 years ago

Yes I received the box this morning. And mailed it this afternoon tracking #0306 0320 0002 8650 9688 Here is what I took out Morguns little linny--Mikinda girl--Heritage Frolic--Jolly Disco--Orzo--Teen Kisses--Alamo Ruby--Trinket summer skies--Trinket O pink--Pink mint--Ness Satin Rose --Cezanne--Robs neat nellie--Lil Runaround-- Baby brian--Chico --Dali--Robshot chocolate--Emerold pink --Ness Angle eyes --Slow dancin-- Robs Zoot Suit-- Kermit and the holly hock seeds My husband loved those. This was a lot of fun can"t wait to do it again Hope you like what I added Deb By the way you live 1 block away from where I grew up on Ferdinand Pat

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Pat,
    Yes, Beloit is one block from Ferdinand. ;)
    WOW--- LOL! I'm sure I'll love whatever you put in the box! I'm sure your Husband's going to love the hollyhock seeds, they are gorgeous! And basically self seed!
    You found some wonderful selections-- I'm soooo excited that the box is coming back home! I'll post when it does and let everyone know what I ended up with!

Hugs,
    Deb

• suecirish
    12 years ago

What a great haul, Pat! All those varieties were sooooo tempting, but I had to limit the number I could take 'cause I'm really running out of space! But I love growing babies and I got some really good ones to take care of. Deb, there should be a whole lot of goodies coming your way. Hope it makes up for the disappointment of last fall. Thanks again, for being a great hostess! I love these RRs.

Sue

• parr
    12 years ago

I only found one rotten leaf it was one of the Ness Angel Eyes but the other leaves in that baggie seamed alright the two that I took are still hanging in there Thats why I sent them back out on the same day, I hope you have a lot of choices Pat

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The box came back today- I LOVE all the varieties in the box! I did a quick count and there were 30 varieties! Mostly all of them have a few leaves!
    Every one of them traveled well and look great!
    Thanks to all of you- that participated! I'll post tomorrow the list of what I
    received. It's been such a long day-- and I'm exhausted! A few minutes ago a few birds were screaming by my window, I went out there with a flashlight and found a baby bird. I just picked up a basket of petunias so picked up the baby robin- placed him in the center of the basket- hung him
    In the tree by the mom- and now she's happy. It's a myth about handling a baby bird, birds have no scense of smell, so will continue taking care of the
    baby even after handling. I'll post more tomorrow and list all the box contents!
    This round robin turned out really good... I'm so happy to have some new varieties to grow!

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What I ended up with-
    Pink Mint
    Rob's Hot Chocolate
    Ever Joy
    Lucky Ladybug
    Trinket O' Pink
    Evening Splendor
    Ness Fantasy Gold
    Ness Angel Eyes
    Emerald Pink
    Rob's Hot foot (never heard of this one- will have to look it up on Rob's site, wonder if it's red?)
    Pixie Blue
    Minstrel's Mary Ruth
    Magic Charms
    Southern Delight
    Baby Brian
    Ballet snowcone
    Optimara Chico and Dali
    Lil Runaround
    Rhapsodie Rebecca
    Slow Dancin'
    S. Ionantha (wanted this one, I previously had it and lost it, love the species!)
    Blue Dragon
    Trinket skies
    Neon Fantasy
    Morgan's Little Linny
    Jolly Disco
    Kermit
    Sparkle berry

Thanks so much, Everyone-- for adding such a neat variety of leaves. :)

ALL of them look fantastic and are happily planted.

Deb

• suecirish
    12 years ago

Fantastic, Deb! Glad you got such a great variety of healthy and happy leaves to get growing! And good for you for saving that baby bird. I'll be looking forward to the fall swap, and we can do it all again.

Sue

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hope everyone's leaves are doing well, babies too! Whatever was in the box. ;)

I'm excited about our Fall round robin. I'll definately start it, unless someone else wants to.

Make sure you check this forum when the temps start cooling off.

I have a feeling we are going to have a very hot summer- it's been such a mild spring so far/winter too.

Deb

• ima_digger
    11 years ago

Deb, you got a great collection. Just wanted to give you a BIG THANKS for doing this RR. Your RRs are always great. I just got back from my grandsons wedding in Staten Island NY, and tending to my gessies. They survived me being away for almost two weeks. Thanks to wick and mat watering. Trays were empty but plants looked good. They drank up the water I put in trays and mats. I removed all flowers and buds before I left, just in case some dried up or rotted and fell into trays. I didn't want to take any chances of losing any.
    Now I have to get busy and read all the posts from the forums I belongs to. It will probably take me a few days. LOL
    I'll be checking back here patiently awaiting the fall RR. What a fun way to collect more plants.
    Thanks again for a GREAT RR!!!
    Eileen

• rosie.garden
    11 years ago

This definitely looks like fun! Can't wait till I can participate in the Fall Round Robin.
    Rosie

Sponsored