Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbya_gw

WANTED: Spring 2013 Round Robin Signups!

Debra Andruska
11 years ago

Our weather is still iffy..
So this wiil start in 2 weeks. Mid April-
Please sign up on this thread, and email me your info.
Named African Violets only. Plantlets, plants, crowns, leaves, whatever you have that's extra is ok to add. This is a great way to get named AV's for postage costs only! ;) A fantastic way to add to your collection. The box must move quickly! We want to keep everything as fresh as possible. Clearly label what variety your including. And please be generous.. Pack a box with as much as you can to make this really fun! I want everyone to be really happy with what they receive, and the more selections/varieties, the better!
I'll start the box out- with 25 varieties! There should be 25 different hybrids at all times in the box. Feel free to take whatever you want, just remember to replace what you take!

Let's make this our best round robin!

Post any questions.. Sign up here!
Almost forgot to mention- you must send this box out USPS priority (they provide a free tracking #) with the package. Post when you receive the box- and when it goes out. And let us know what 'must have' varieties you kept! ;)
Don't tell us what you add- let's keep that a secret... Who knows what you'll find in the package! :)

Deb

Comments (74)

• Louise84
    10 years ago

Hi, I saw this too late for this exchange, but if you keep a list of people for the next one, I'd love to be a part of it.

Thanks!

• suecirish
    10 years ago

Minal, so what did you take from the box???

• shabbu
    10 years ago

Hi Sue, Well took a few minis, few senks and a few standards. Replaced with around 15 varieties, added more senks, one robs, a few standards and a few trailers.

There's a total of 29 varities in the box, enjoy!

Deb, the packaging was done really well. I was wondering where do you buy the cotton/soft packaging material which were on the insides of the box and the top of the box/

• shabbu
    10 years ago

Below is the tracking # for the next shipment, via USPS Priority mail.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Minal,
    The white stuff is fiberglass. Usually vendors use it to ship during 'iffy' weather (too hot or too cold). It comes in different colors, pink etc.
    I saved this box specifically for our swap! So my fingers are crossed that everything ships really well! :)
    I've been in a couple of swaps lately that had a lot of leaf loss due to rot, and if ours goes ok with hardly no loss then I really have the feeling the leaf rot is due to shipping. Leaves getting chilled/hot. None of the other boxes had fiberglass.

Darike's next- I hope you find a lot of neat things on the box!
    Minal, glad you found some stuff too! I just purchased those plants to add for different variety. I didn't have minis/semis.

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are going to have to speed up our round robin a little.. To keep the plant material fresh. Please keep it no more than a day or two at the most.
    Think about it for a minute.. I started the RR on Monday evening, freshly cut everything. That was April 22. It's May 2nd, stuff lasts for so long and then deteriorates.

I really want everyone to enjoy this.. Lets keep the box moving quickly!

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Delivery confirmation wasn't working the other day.. But started working again yesterday! It shows the box was delivered May 2nd to Darike.

It should be going to Pat next..

Darike,
    I hope you found lots of neat varieties in the box! :)

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I kinda feel like I'm the only participant in our round robin..
    Where is everyone? Lol!!

Deb

• shabbu
    10 years ago

Seems like the good weather in the NE seems to be keeping everyone outdoors. Its beautiful here in NY, in the upper 70's. Just came back from our first farmers market and had a nice lunch on the hudson riverfront!

• suecirish
    10 years ago

I was planning to work outdoors this beautiful weekend, but a hip injury has kept me in the house. So I have been busy potting and repotting. And chatting with some AV friends. I'm looking forward to the box coming along my way, but I'm close to the end so it will be a while yet. Still got my fingers crossed for those Senks.

• ima_digger
    10 years ago

I don't know about anyone else, but I've been having trouble with yahoo lately. I don't know if it's my cable provider or just yahoo. I belong to a few groups and it takes forever to read and reply to messages. I think it the same may be happening here.
    Deb, I get anxious when I don't see posts. Last year I was in a RR where a new forum member joined about a month before our RR started. She received the box full of leaves etc. and never posted that she got the box. We know she received it because of the conf. #. It seems she got what she wanted and then just disappeard. I've seen her post on a few other forums, and if I see here joining RRs again, I will alert others.
    But everyone on our list is trust-worthy. It may be just life gets in the way or maybe computer problems. I know I had no internet or phone for two days because of a power outage in my area. I finally got my phone service and internet back today. But internet is very slow. I;m sure we will hear from someone soon.

• aviolet6
    10 years ago

I'm just waiting for the box.

• chiquib313
    10 years ago

I am the last one on the list before it goes back to Deb so patiently waiting for the box. Do we know it the box was delivered? In order to keep things fresh everyone should be sending it out the next day after you receive it and posting the tracking number.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update-
    As of today- only Minal has had the box. If some things are still in the box that I added they have been in there since April 22. I packed it at night- mailed it on the 23rd. Minal's delivery tracking number shows Darike received the box May 2nd. Today is the 6th...
    Priority is great to use, now a free delivery confirmation # is included. It's useless though if we don't receive updates letting us know if the box made it- or not.
    The swap isn't turning out at all as planned..
    I'm sorry Everyone! I wanted to do this so quickly- before it turns really hot and shipping/heat problems occur.

Hopefully we hear something today from Darike. :)

Deb

• parr
    10 years ago

Got the box today,good thing I was home had no idea it was shipped. sent it back out today Tracking #9114 9010 7574 2418 8538 76

• parr
    10 years ago

Got the box today,good thing I was home had no idea it was shipped. sent it back out today Tracking #9114 9010 7574 2418 8538 76

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pat,
    Thanks for letting us know...:)
    Box is on the way to Tricia!

I hope you found lots of neat varieties in the box, Pat! I'm glad you were home to get the box. It's always nice to have a little warning that the box is arriving. Things worked out- so I'm happy!

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Darike,
    Did you find any 'must haves' in the box? Tell us.. We would love to know..

Deb

• GermanMajor1980
    10 years ago

I am very sorry for not posting. The box arrived and we had a family emergency and so I shuffled through, added and got it out the next day. Things are a but chaotic here but I did keep 2 varieties senks Neverland dreams and one other.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Senk's are really neat. I added leaves from several Senk's, purchased just for this round robin. I can't wait to see what Senk's 'the sorceress'
    Senk's beanstalk, Senk's Longlegs, Senk's blue cascade, Senk's blue ice, Senk's alchemy parakeet, and alchemy yellow bells, just to name a few I added! Also added just to make everyone drool was-
    Falling raindrops, falling snow, rambling maytime. Ramblin pink pizazz, dainty lass, Ron's cotton ball. I won't name them all- 25 or more varieties should be in the box at all times.

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was rambling in the other post.. I can't wait to see the Senk's bloom and grow! Lol!
    I remember when beanstalk and the sorceress, Longlegs went for big $ on ebay! ;)

Hopefully the box arrived today- for Tricia. Or will soon, I didn't check the dc# yet.

Deb

• aviolet6
    10 years ago

Box came today but I also took in a homeless very demanding Siamese kitten tonight so I've not even had a chance to look in it. I hope to get the box out tomorrow, maybe I should stick the cat in the box and send it too! : ) It will have to go to a new home or shelter, I have 4 pets and this one is plenty all by itself!

Tricia

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tricia,
    I have 2 kittens- so totally understand! ;) both of mine are handfuls.. They recently went to get neutered, so are very quiet this week. I'm enjoying both laying around.

Deb

• aviolet6
    10 years ago

I sent the box out today. Sorry I could not get it done yesterday. When it came to me almost everything looked like it would not last another trip so I refilled it with my stuff. The Senk varieties in the box looked pretty good so I set the stems in water for awhile then put the best ones back in the box so maybe someone else can get them. Everything else in there now is from me. Tracking number is 9505 5102 4791 3130 6006 36
    I hope everything doesn't wilt. I was surprised how much was wilty when it came to me. It hasn't been that hot...
    Expected arrival date is Monday, but I've learned it sometimes takes an extra day.
    Tricia

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm starting to have the feeling that cold/chill is just as damaging as hot temps. It's been chilly again lately- and its staying.. tomorrow night's 37*
    I have the central heat on at night. And by Wednesday 80* lol!
    Thanks Tricia for re-adding fresh varieties.

I'm looking forward to the box coming back. ;)

Deb

• ima_digger
    10 years ago

I don't think it matters very much, if it's hot or cold. It depends how long the box is in transit in the truck. We have no control over the post office. They advertise two days, but it rarely gets to it's destination in two days. We just have to make sure the leaves are very dry when we tuck them inside the baggies. Last year I was in four RRs in the Spring and in two of them, most of the leaves were mush. The three RRs in the fall fared much better. Maybe because it wasn't hot and cold weather hasn't set in yet. In one RR the box was in transit 5 days. Maybe some should keep a record. LOL
    The boxes have been packed and insulated very well so that should help them.
    I think the box is coming to me, so I'll be on the lookout. My mail lady is very good. She rings my bell whenever we have packages.
    Eileen

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Eileen
    Susan
    Chiqui
    Back home...Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very weird weather- we had frost last night, 32* and with in a day it's going to 80* hmmm? Lol!

Hopefully the box arrives today! ;).
    I want to hear about all the neat varieties in the package!

Deb

• ima_digger
    10 years ago

It's 2:40 pm and still no box. I'm getting anxious. Hurry up mail lady.

• ima_digger
    10 years ago

The box was finally delivered at 5:30pm. . It was a different mailman. I don't know why it was so late. My reg. mail lady must be either on vacation or ill.
    The box was crushed. It looked like someone sat on it. I found another box and used the insulated material in it Anyway, I spent last night unpacking and checking. Some of the leaves were very limp. I kept those. No sense in sending them on. I don't think they would have made it any further. The box was filled today and sent on it's way. It's stuffed to the top. I'll have to get back post what I kept. I want to get them potted and domed.
    The del.conf # is 9405 5036 9930 0427 8289 34

Tricia, what is the plantlet 'She's Dancing'. That is one I kept, but I don't know what gessie it is. The leaves look almost like grape leaves. Are you setting me up for growing grapes? LOL
    It looks interesting and it had my name on the bag. So it's mine. That one I just put in a small pot of mix and covered it with the baggie it came it. It will do for now until I finish the others.
    Thanks for the goodies.

• aviolet6
    10 years ago

Well I hope the varieties you want survive Eileen. I think most of the ones I kept are going to, but they were so wilted and I was so busy I ended up putting bunches of them in shallow containers of water to perk up or not. So eventually I will have a bunch of noids because it was too hard to keep them all labeled separately. I don't mind except it limits who I can trade with. I doubt I will do the Round Robin again. It's a great idea but not very fun when the leaves don't arrive in good condition and so time consuming replacing most all them.
    As for "She's Dancing," this was a plant I discovered when looking for unusual or rare gesneriads online over a year ago. You can google it and find pictures. But I couldn't find where to get one so posted on the Gesneriad forum and Irina had it and was kind enough to share a cutting. If I remember right, you saw the post, looked up the plant, and liked too. I had an extra cutting and offered to send you one if it became strong enough in spring, but only one of them survived and eventually died. I was fortunate enough to come across this plant again at the Dixie African Violet Convention this spring, and had enough from it to spare a piece. I hope it does well for you. I want to see flowers on mine someday.

Tricia

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A gloximannia by Dale Martens- She's dancing..
    Beautiful plant, I looked it up. ;)

Sorry you had to replace everything Tricia. I'm hesitant about doing another round robin. I'm really not sure I'm going to host one in the fall. It really depends on how this one goes.. It's disappointing to know that leaves are arriving so poorly.

What I do to revive leaves- is put them in solo cups, with the variety name clearly written on tiny pieces of painters tape. The tape peels off easily, if you decide your not going to keep the variety leaf, rebag it, once it's plump. I put a tiny pinch of sugar, warm water in the cup. Sometimes leaves take an hour- or overnight to plump back up. Rinse the leaf- before planting. Dry leaves can always be revived- wet rot.

I hope that the round robin box (on its last few stops) arrives with everything in better condition. The entire purpose of this was to share- get rid of your extras/doubles-groom 'extra' leaves, make some room for new things! ;) For the price of postage..

Deb

• ima_digger
    10 years ago

Well I finally got the leaves and the little starters all potted.
    Here is what I took from the box. I also took a few single leaves, but won't list because there is still more in the box.
    Senk's Neverland dreams
    Buffalo Hunt
    Emergency
    Classic Rock
    My Fair Lady
    Morgan's Jaipur
    Little Ottawa Girl
    Carribean Blue
    Aca's Tornado
    L'Heure Blue
    and
    She's Dancing - which is aGloximania, which looks very pretty.
    I have them all sitting in the aluminum trays that I buy at Walmart. The clear covers are tight so I don't have to keep checking on them for water. Sometimes I never touch them until I see little mouse ears.
    @Deb~~ I have better luck with the RR's in the fall. Maybe it's because the temps are more steady, country wide. In the Spring, northern states still have freezing temps, while down here in the south, it can go into 90s,
    I love the RRs because for the price of postage, it's a great way to increase our collections. I'm a glutton for the gessies, so I'm sure I'll continue to participate. In fact, I'm looking forward to fall. LOL. Over the years, I've lost entire collections twice, and this is a great way to re-build.
    We just have to hope our weather cooperates with us.
    Susan should have the box tomorrow. Hope everything is OK in it. It has the insulation, so that should help. I know it went down to the low 40s just north of me last night. Go figure. We're usually swimming in our pool by now. I haven't been in it yet, even with the solar heating, it's too cold to come out. LOL.

• ima_digger
    10 years ago

Forgot to add a special thank you to you, Tricia. I love different gessies, and when I saw the picture of it online, I loved it. It has blue flowers, almost a purple blue trumpet, like the florist glox. It's potted and covered, so it should be fine. Thanks again for remembering. My brain is getting just too old to remember. I blame it on my medications, but I think it's just OLD AGE.
    Eileen

• suecirish
    10 years ago

We have had a series of a few nights hovering just above freezing. I'm on the coast, so no frost here, but the more inland areas had frost. Tonight, though, the temp is supposed to stay just under 60, and get warmer as the week goes on. So all should be fine here. I love these RRs, too. I think this year's variable temps played havoc, and also the box got held up a bit in the beginning. I know many of us are in them together on other AV forums too, but I think you have done a great job over the few years I have participated here, Deb. Like Eileen, I hope to look forward to another one in the fall. Or maybe one of us could take it on and give you a bit of a break this fall.

Well, anyway, I'm looking forward to receiving the box tomorrow, hopefully. The tracking said it left Orlando this morning, and Providence is usually very good about moving Priority Mail along quickly. I'll let you know!

Sue

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Sue for the compliments... I just get frustrated when the RR doesn't go as planned. I want everyone to ENJOY the round robin. And I want it to go really smoothly- lol!

Have fun- everyone!! Without complications! :).
    Enjoy a box full of violet leaves/plantlets for postage!!

Hugs--

Deb

• suecirish
    10 years ago

The box was delivered this afternoon. Most things look fine. There were a couple that had to be tossed because they were mush. There are lots of choices in that box!
    I took
    Optimara Annabelle
    Candy Fountain (may be questionable for survival)
    Heritage Frolic (only one leaf that may or not make it)
    Ellie Gardner
    Colonial Werris Creek
    Silverglade Secrets
    Blue Horizon (Can the person who put this one in give me a description? Is it the one by Fischer?)

I'll be packing up the box and sending it back off tomorrow morning. I'll post the tracking number then.

Sue

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very nice selections, Eileen & Sue! One more stop left- Chiqui...

Chiqui,
    I hope you find lots of 'must haves'... ;)
    It's fun hearing about the wide variety in the package! I had classic rock a few years ago- and loved the weird shaped leaves. They reminded me of little rocks, lol!

Deb

• chiquib313
    10 years ago

It;s always fun to receive a box of AV leaves or plants even if they are not "must haves". Sometimes you grow a plant that you wouldn't normally have bought and it gives you a nice surprise and becomes a favorite. I'll be eagerly awaiting my mailman Monday or Tuesday, and then back to you Deb!
    Chiqui

• suecirish
    10 years ago

OK, Chiqui, here is your tracking n umber

Should be delivered on Monday. Lots of good stuff in the box.
    Enjoy!
    Sue

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yay- it's on the way to Chiqui! ;)
    I'm excited too! The last stop!

Deb

• chiquib313
    10 years ago

Still waiting for the mailman . . . . . . . .
    Chiqui

• chiquib313
    10 years ago

Finally, received the box this afternoon. There were lots of great choices and everything looked good except for four baggies that were mush and had to be thrown out.
    Here are the ones that kept: Beautious, Yesterday's Child, Rob's Galiwinku, Little Sweetheart, Playful Spectrum, Rebel's Flaming Star and two episcias and one sinnigia. I repacked the box and it is ready to go to Deb tomorrow morning, USPS tracking number is 9405503699300434790316.
    Thanks Deb for putting this RR together and to everyone that participated and contributed their plants and leaves.
    Hope we can do it again soon.
    Chiqui

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The box is here! It arrived yesterday.. Of course I had a million things going on. ;)
    What came in the box..
    2 leaves Pretty Miss Kelly
    Alsobia cutting
    2 leaves Eskimo kisses
    2 leaves Beauty goddess
    Episcia Metallica cutting
    2 leaves B'Man's Taormina
    2 leaves Allan's fallen angel
    1 leaf Super Duper
    Episcia Silver skies cutting
    2 leaves Williwaw
    2 leaves Tin Soldier
    2 emerald pink leaves
    2 leaves Kentucky goose berries
    2 leaves Yesterday's evidence
    1 leaf Rebel's Rosebud
    Episcia Chocolate cream cutting, Jim's sea love, cutting
    Streptocarpella concord blue cutting
    2 s 5b cl grotei 'silvert' leaves
    2 foxwood trail leaves

Rotted- Opt. Texas leaves, Ozio leaf, pink Leyla strep leaf, Silverglade jewels leaf.

Two leaves of Senk's long legs (that I put in) made it back in perfect condition!!!

Thanks to Everyone that joined... The temps are finally warmer on my end, last night was crazy, 34*! Hopefully that's our only off temp night! Week looks much better!

Anyone else want to start another round robin? We could do a really quick 5 or 6 person one? ;)
    If so- count me in!

Deb

• suecirish
    10 years ago

I'd be willing to give it a try, as long as we changed up the order, so we weren't giving and getting from the same people as this one.

• parr
    10 years ago

I would like too as long as I could get some standard leaves or plantlets. everyone seams to be changing to smaller plants, I like them big

• Louise84
    10 years ago

I'd love to join in if you do a second round. I have lots of baby violets from leaves started last fall and leaves too. If I can do anything to help or start it up, I'd be glad to.

If a second one is started, do the veterans have any suggestions for packing baby violets?

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Packing up baby violets... Bare root shipping is the best, when shipping a pot and soil you tend to have way more broken leaves, plus shipping goes way up due to soil weight. Basically take the violet out shake off the soil, wrap the roots in a dry paper towel piece and put in a baggie. Label the bag with a sharpie permanent marker. The paper towel piece can be omitted- I've seen violets/plantlets sent both ways. I've even seen them wrapped in a small piece of batting (the kind used in quilting) and I've seen them wrapped in fiberfill! One RR- someone sent tiny plantlets put 10 or more in a ziplock and had the tiny roots wrapped with a tiny amount of foil. The entire plantlet was no bigger than a thin tiny pencil. They survived fine!

Anyone else want to add any shipping tips?

Sue you offered first.. So please feel free to start a round robin box. ;)
    Please include me! Either continue under this thread or start a fresh one. It's up to you.. I'm excited! And looking forward to it!

Deb

• suecirish
    10 years ago

OK, I'll give it a try. I've never coordinated a RR before, but I'm willing. I'm sure I can come up with 25 varieties to start. And don't worry, I have some of all sizes from large to micro.

I think I'll start a new thread, to make it easier. Please go to the new one for sign-ups

Sue

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great.. I'm glad your starting a new thread. It will be easier to keep track of/manage.
    The Spring Round Robin thread is closed! Go to Sue's new post for all swap info/signups.

Deb

Sponsored
Jennifer Stoner Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Reputable Richmond Based Interior Designer & Furniture Designer