Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suecirish

wanted: spring 2013 rr - part 2 - sign-ups & progress

suecirish
10 years ago

I have never coordinated a RR before, but I'm willing to give it a try to give Deb a break! I'm sure I can come up with 25 varieties to start, and I have all sizes from large to micro.

Anybody who wants to participate, please send me an email with your address, name and GW name at this GW link and then post so I will know to expect it. I think we probably need to get this going quickly, so sign-ups will be for the next week, until June 3. And then I can get the box out right away after that.

Only named varieties, of course
Leaves or plantlets
Shall we say just AVs for this one?

If you have any specific preferences, please post them here so the people ahead of you can try to add something to the box for you.

That's it, I think. Let's go!

Sue

Comments (74)

• suecirish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Chiqui! Glad you were pleased and I'm really glad it got to you so quickly. That's a great start to our box's journey. I'm kinda excited to see what you chose! Those are my babies!

• chiquib313
    10 years ago

And those are very nice babies you sent. Here are some of the ones I kept: Wild Irish Rose, Tommie Lou, Biscayne Trail, Storytella Little Miss Muffet, Pride's Pink Trail & Skagit Victory Trails. I also kept a few of the ones that had 4 & 6 leaves on them but won't list so I don't spoil the surprise for the next persons in line. I've repacked the box and sent out this morning by USPS Priority Mail, tracking #9405503699300449796952. Eileen you are next, so get your pots ready and have fun.

• chiquib313
    10 years ago

And those are very nice babies you sent. Here are some of the ones I kept: Wild Irish Rose, Tommie Lou, Biscayne Trail, Storytella Little Miss Muffet, Pride's Pink Trail & Skagit Victory Trails. I also kept a few of the ones that had 4 & 6 leaves on them but won't list so I don't spoil the surprise for the next persons in line. I've repacked the box and sent out this morning by USPS Priority Mail, tracking #9405503699300449796952. Eileen you are next, so get your pots ready and have fun.

• parr
    10 years ago

why would that spoil the surprise for the next person ? They would not know if their were more of that leaf.

• parr
    10 years ago

why would that spoil the surprise for the next person ? They would not know if their were more of that leaf.

• Debra Andruska
    10 years ago

Checking to see how the RR is going... ;)
    Wild Irish rose! One of my all time favs- I love the foliage, it usually is a little unruly, but beautiful against the blooms!

Deb

• ima_digger
    10 years ago

Box came late this afternoon. I had to throw out quite a lot of bags of leaves dated 6/1. They had turned to mush.
    The box is filled and will be sent out tomorrow morning on it's way to Pat. I'll post the Del.# after I get home fro P.O.
    Here is what I took:
    Happy Harold
    Litta
    Drifted Snow
    Midget Snow Drop
    Rainbow of Love
    Pow Wow
    Ethel's Reflection
    Artic Frost
    Harmony's Hot Flash
    Cactus Rose
    Pat I hope you find something you like in the box. I didn't put any leaves in. I stuffed the box with plantlets. I thought they would ship better with the heat. Please post how they made out. I wrapped them different this time and I'm curious if this was better than just saran wrap.

• suecirish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's weird that those leaves had mushed out after only 5 days. Are you having very hot weather? That's the only thing I can think of. They were in great shape when I shipped them out. Sometimes I think the heat is worse for them than the cold. Oh well, I'm sure you and Chiqui added some great varieties too.

Now on to Pat - I hope you find something that you like. We are moving right along very nicely!. Batten down the hatches everybody on the east coast - get ready for Andrea! At least the temps have cooled down a bit.

• Debra Andruska
    10 years ago

Cactus rose, Rainbow of love, Happy Harold! Nice selections! ;)
    I'm jealous! Lol!
    This round robin is traveling fast! I'm after Pat!

Deb

• ima_digger
    10 years ago

The days are getting hotter. If the box sits in the postal truck too long, that could be what turns the leaves to mush. I hope the little plantlets make it. Here is the Del #
    9405 5036 9930 0454 1737 17
    I'm hoping that is will be in a cool place.

• parr
    10 years ago

The box came today 4bags from 6/1 were mush and 1 bag from 6/4 was mush and another bag marked 6/1 Yesterdays Evidence was half rotten I'm going to see if I can save it.and their was another bag that had a morgan's leaf in it that looked like it was just cut from 6/1 go figure That bugs me we have to figure out the reason some make it and some don't I kepted Playful spectrum--buckeye scrumptious--golden eye--tomarrows pink ice--silverglade fanfare--bob's omega--ellie gardener--rob's jindalee-- Will add some more plants and leaves and ship in the morning. I'm sure glad I got to keep some this time. Will post tracking # in the morning

• suecirish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great choices, Pat! And I'm glad you got to keep some too. I was hoping for you. It is so very weird that some leaves make it and some do not. But I guess it's just as much luck for us as anything else, since we can't really tell the quality of a leaf's genetic disposition.

• parr
    10 years ago

Tracking #9114 9010 7574 2418 8543 54 Have fun Deb

• Debra Andruska
    10 years ago

The box arrived.. Some of the baby plantlets perished. The box must of went through some heat. The other day- it was 89* cooler temps today though..

I'll add fresh varieties, and ship it back out tomorrow. I'll post what I kept.
    Post more tomorrow..

Deb

• suecirish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deb, Did you get the email I sent with the address list to print out? It was apparently missing from the box. It's interesting to see how the box is doing with the varying temperatures.

Once the box gets to Terri, we will be half way. If the travel time keeps up as it is, it should get back to me just around the beginning of July. From this experience we should be able to tell if this timing is a good idea for the future.

• Debra Andruska
    10 years ago

Doing our fun violet swaps is always a good idea.. ;)
    There is always going to be some loss. The plantlets that mainly perished were tiny. Adorably tiny!! :)

What I took... Sunkissed rose, Purple crest (had a few broken leaves so left them in the bag so someone else can put them down)
    Elizabeth, 2 Ness-puppy prints, Ruffled sky.

Leaves 1-Blackie Bryant, 1-Ann, 2-Mac's Pizza Pizzicato! I love that name!

Will post the dc# after I receive it.

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    10 years ago

My post posted double... So I'm editing it.
    The address sheet was in the box... It was on the bottom.

Deb

This post was edited by debbya on Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 11:42

• Debra Andruska
    10 years ago

The dc# 9505 5110 0122 3165 6451 28

Mailed Friday... To Terri

Deb

• terrilou
    10 years ago

I'm getting excited now as the box should be here on Monday. Our mail is usually extra late on Monday but I'll start my watch early in the day anyhow. I think everyone is making some excellent choices!

Terri

• terrilou
    10 years ago

I received the box this afternoon. Most leaves were in good shape but I had to discard four of the bags. I kept a leaf of these: Deer Path, Purple Crest, Ethel's Explosion, Yesterday's Evidence, Lyon's Magic Charms, Green Dragon, Opt. Trinidad, & Hawaiian Pearl.
    The box arrived early enough for me to select, then add mine & get it to the post office. So Donna, the box is heading to you: # 9505 5109 1620 3168 5948 27. Thanks to all and a special thanks to Sue for setting up this R.R.

Terri

• Debra Andruska
    10 years ago

Wow that was fast! ;) I'm glad everything was ok in the box. I was a little worried.. We are close to 90* it's hot out! Central air is continually on!
    In my opinion fat healthy thicker leaves are better in heat- tiny plantlets suffer... Plantlets would do better in cooler sept/oct temps.

I'm sooo glad the box is going quickly. I have a feeling we are in for a very hot summer!

Deb

• Louise84
    10 years ago

It's been fun tracking the progress of the violets. I've been googling the varieties that people list to see what they look like because I'm not familiar with many of them. There have been some beautiful varieties! Looking forward to getting it after Donna!

• suecirish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yikes, that was really fast, Terri! Great job! And it looks like you got some really nice selections. So, we are in the back stretch now - thanks everybody for really moving the box along at such a good pace. It is getting hot, but I think we will be all right as the box travels east. I'm really glad everybody is enjoying this RR! And I agree with Louise - it's just as much fun seeing the varieties that people chose and checking out what they are.

• Debra Andruska
    10 years ago

Checking to see how the swaps going! ;)
    Donna should have the box (or get the box today).. I tried to check the dc# and the USPS site was down.

Deb

• ima_digger
    10 years ago

It looks like everyone got some great violets. I'm amazed at how fast the leaves have been sending up mouse ears.
    I've been busy potting up babies from last fall's RR. I had them in aluminum trays, sitting in my master bathtub. It's a good thing we don't use it. We shower instead. We have another bathtub in another bathroom just in case. LOL.
    Now looking forward to the fall, and maybe another RR.
    Sue, you did a great job with this one.
    Eileen

• dkgresh
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I have been in Boston visiting my new friend, Sting! It was very exciting! (My husband and I went to his concert and got to meet him.)
    The violets have arrived and my kids brought them in the house. I am overwhelmed by the number of violets. They were so well packed. There may be just a few mushy ones. Louise, Monday morning, the box will be on its way to you!

• suecirish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, lucky you, Donna! That's a great photo!

• shabbu
    10 years ago

Wow!, your really lucky! Donna, nice of your kids to bring the box in.

Its finally coming to the last few, cant wait to see whats left in the box after Louise!

Minal.

• Louise84
    10 years ago

What a neat experience!

I am looking forward to seeing what's in the box!! I'll be keeping an eye out for the mail carrier on Wednesday ;)

• dkgresh
    10 years ago

Thank you for your kind words about Sting. He is charming. He called me "darling". It was exciting!
    Now, about the violets. I spent several hours with the box. I kept anything that I thought would not survive two more days. I put in a few plantlets and quite a few leaves. (Someone suggested leaves would fare better.) The box was full. I am sure that the ladies at my local post office will give it a good send off. The tracking number is 9505 5104 5458 3175 4786 06.

• dkgresh
    10 years ago

Thank you for your kind words about Sting. He is charming. He called me "darling". It was exciting!
    Now, about the violets. I spent several hours with the box. I kept anything that I thought would not survive two more days. I put in a few plantlets and quite a few leaves. (Someone suggested leaves would fare better.) The box was full. I am sure that the ladies at my local post office will give it a good send off. The tracking number is 9505 5104 5458 3175 4786 06.

• suecirish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Donna, Thanks for getting the box right out again. Sounds like you had plenty of time to sort through. Do you want to tell us what you kept? We all love to know what was taken by whom!

• Louise84
    10 years ago

What a fun afternoon! The box arrived today, a day ahead of schedule! I got it back to the post office before 5 so it's on its way to Minal. The tracking # is 9405511201080101852205.

Minal and Sue need to have lots of cups ready, Donna did a great job of packing the box, many with multiple leaves and most of the ones I put in include enough for both of you. You may need to send it around again to get rid of all of them ;)

Varieties I am getting to try are:
    Trinket o Pink
    Blushing Ivory
    Ode to Beauty
    Biscayne Trail
    Rose Quartz
    Optimara Cora
    Fisherman's Paradise
    Mac's Incredible Infrared
    Irish Flirt (one of Donna's plantlets which looked great)
    Ramblin Sunshine

There were just two which seemed soft, they were very small leaves. I suspect the larger leaves travel better in the heat since they have more moisture in them to tide them along...

Hope Minal finds some goodies!

• terrilou
    10 years ago

Wow! That was quick both for the post office and for you Louise. I know sifting through the box is great fun and it looks as though you selected some nice varieties. Heres hoping the box travels safely to Minal & Sue.

Terri

• suecirish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's amazing that you got the box delivered in just one day, Louise! And then got it right back out - good for you! Some really nice picks, too! I am eagerly awaiting the box's return home. Hopefully another quick to Minal.

• Debra Andruska
    10 years ago

Wow! The box is almost done! ;)
    Nice choices Louise! I've been wanting Fisherman's Paradise for a long time! I'm jealous- lol!

Deb

• shabbu
    10 years ago

Thanks Donna and Louise, will be on the lookout for the box!, for now it says I should receive it tomorrow, really excited!

Minal

• shabbu
    10 years ago

or maybe I will also get it a day early!

This post was edited by minal on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 8:05

• Louise84
    10 years ago

It looks like you're in luck, the tracking info just got updated and it looks like it's going out for delivery today! I hope you have fun going through the box!!

Louise

• shabbu
    10 years ago

Thanks Louise, yes it did arrive today, just opened up the box. Wow! so many varieties!!, thanks everyone, especially Donna and Louise.

I only threw out one leaf, which was a little mushy (but there were still other 3 leaves of the same variety), so no losses.

There are total 36 varieties, enjoy Sue!!, it will be out to you tomorrow. I kept quite a lot of leaves and added some too, still there's lots to choose from.

You were right Louise, there are enough leaves for another round :).

Minal.

• shabbu
    10 years ago

I just printed out the shipping label. The tracking number is

The box will be picked up by my mail lady tomorrow :)

Enjoy Sue and thank you for organizing a great 2nd round!!

Minal

• suecirish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Whoo hoo! Those last deliveries were soooo quick! I can't believe it is already on it's way back to me. I should have it on Monday, I would guess. So exciting... Having never been the originator of a round robin box, I have no idea what to expect, but it sounds like there are LOTS of varieties in there. I'll be home on Monday, so that will be fun!

So, Minal, tell us what varieties you kept...

This post was edited by suecirish on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 11:26

• Debra Andruska
    10 years ago

I know I counted 40 packs of 'varieties' when it left me... So lots of choices even when I had it! ;)

Fall round robins next.. Anyone else want to coordinate it? Hint...hint... Lol!

Deb

• Louise84
    10 years ago

I would enjoy coordinating a fall round robin if Deb and Sue would like a break.

This one was a lot of fun. Sue - Thanks for coordinating!

Louise

• suecirish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You go for it, Louise! Count me in for the fall RR.

This was only my first one, and I am so glad that everyone enjoyed it. It was a little anxiety-provoking at first, nervous that each person would be able to find something they liked in the box, but i think it went well. Thanks to all the box buddies for the cheers and support along the way.

I'll post the end result as soon as the box arrives.

UPDATE: I just checked the tracking and the box arrived at my post office this morning. My mail comes in the afternoon, so it looks like I may have it today!

This post was edited by suecirish on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 8:55

• Louise84
    10 years ago

So excited to hear it should be arriving today! Hope you find lots of goodies!

I'll put a note on my calendar to start a new thread for a fall round robin in mid-August. It's hard to believe that's only 6 or 7 weeks away!

• suecirish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The box arrived this morning! I guess my regular mail-lady was off today because somebody was covering her route and we got ours way ahead of the usual time. But that's ok because it gave me lots of time to rummage through the box!

The final count was 36 varieties - 4 kinds of plantlets and the rest leaves. Just about everything was still in good condition. I had to soak the species leaf in sugar water because I really would love to have that one. If it doesn't make it I may have to ask who sent it and beg another leaf.

I am going to share some of the leaves with a couple of friends. They will be delighted. But I was able to pull out quite a number that I will keep for myself.

Thanks everyone for participating and doing such a great job keeping the box quickly on its journey. I hope you all enjoyed this as much as I did. We'll do it all again for Louise's RR in the fall.

Here is what was in the box (number in parentheses is how many leaves):
    Rob's Pink Puff (4)
    Rob's Rinky Dink (5)
    Ancient Lane (2)
    Pink Watercolor (Rozovaia Akvarel - Russian) (1)
    Midnight Rascal (2)
    Ness' Satin Rose (4)
    Teen Bride (3)
    Bunny Hop (1)
    Mac's Flamboyant Flamingo (2)
    Cool Blue (3)
    Music Box Dancer (2)
    Fantasy Maker (3)
    Blackberry Jam (2)
    Rob's Inner Orbit (3)
    Little Ebony (2)
    Ma's Toxic Spill (1)
    Champagne Pink (1)
    Heartbreak Kid (3)
    Rob's Zoot Suit (4)
    Genetic Snowflake (1)
    Rob's Hopscotch (4)
    Senk's Long Legs (6)
    S. 6 brevipilosa cl. Mather #10 (1)
    Alliance (4)
    Blue Dragon (1)
    Scandal (2)
    Rob's Shadow Magic (2)
    Harbor Blue (1)
    Tye-Dyed Sport (2)
    Heritage Frolic (6)
    Alchemy Yellow Bells (1)
    Twist 'n' Shout (1 plug)
    Persian Lace (2 plugs)
    Burnished Halo (1 plug)
    Aca's Curious George (1 plug)
    Grandma's Love (1 plug)

• ima_digger
    10 years ago

WOW!!!! What a great selection of violets. This was a great RR. I love when they move quickly. Everyone that participated was right on the job, making it a quick turnaround. I can't wait for the fall RR. I should have lots of babies from last years RR. And lots lf leaves too.
    Sue, you did a great job. Thanks for organizing this and starting it.
    Eileen

• terrilou
    10 years ago

Quite a box full! I'm pleased the RR was such a success. I'm hoping to participate in a future one. Sue, I put in brevipilosa if that is the species you mean. (Only one I see listed) If it doesn't make it, I can send you replacement leaves.

Terri

• Debra Andruska
    10 years ago

Ancient Lane has to be Ancient Lace...
    Yay, Louise! Thanks for hosting our Fall RR! :)

Sue,
    You did a fantastic job! What a great selection that came back in the box!
    Wishing Everyone..lots of luck with all the round robin leaves- and tons of violet babies!
    See you in a few weeks! I'm going to be busy repotting stuff! And cleaning trays, pots!
    Deb

Sponsored