parr_gw

WANTED: seafoam&firebird

parr
11 years ago

would any one have these two their from Granger Gardens back in the late 70s

Comments (12)

• nashuan
    11 years ago

I have both in my collection (I even have both Firebird I and Firebird II). Please contact me if you are still looking for them (and see my listing of the Eyerdom's in my collection, posted on the African Violet Forum)

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hello Nashuan,
    If you still have Sea Foam, I would be interested. I sent you an email. Waiting until spring would also be fine with me.
    If you wanted to do an exchange, in my email I listed
    what I will have ready in the spring.
    Joanne

• nashuan
    10 years ago

Hi, Joanne. Please email me again in late April to remind me, and I'll be happy to send leaves or starters (whichever I have available) for postage costs. I'll be in Florida in April, but should return before the end of the month.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi, Great! Thank you! I will get in touch then!
    Joanne

• Rosie1949
    9 years ago

Do you still have Firebird 1 and Seafoam? Any others from that time period? Am trying to recover the older ones from 1970's. Chanticleer? Violet trail? Thanks look forward to hearing from you.--Rosie

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Rosie! I never did get Firebird or Seafoam! I had Chanticleer, but it had a difficult winter, so it will need a few more months to back to normal. I don't have Violet trail. We moved recently, so I am just getting back to reviewing my violets to see what shape they are in. I will be back in touch in a couple of weeks to let you know if I have any Vintage that are ready to be shared. Thanks for keeping in touch. Joanne

• Rosie1949
    9 years ago

OMG I can't believe you may have Chanticleer. It was my very, very, very, first african violet when I started growing back in the early 70's!!! I would pay postage for just one leaf of that and Firebird,,,,,no matter what the condition. Firebird was my second violet. If I never get any of the others (Athena, Seafoam, Violet Trail, Sweethart Trail, Nancy Reagan, Tommy Lou oh and you can just guess the rest of the ones I am talking about.) PLEASE keep in touch! Thanks!!!

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Rosie,

I got Chanticleer from Fancy Bloomers in New Jersey. She has a lot of vintage violets. It grew very nicely for a long time. But the past winter was difficult for my plants. If or when it perks up, I will definitely let you know. I don't have any of the others because I was raising only Optimaras for many years! I wasn't growing named violets back then.

• Rosie1949
    9 years ago

Winter was very hard on mine also. Lost a lot of little leaves I had planted. What a hit. Almost like I need to start over. No trading power. I just bought 2 from our box store. They both have babies, but no names. Probably Optimaras. That is usually what they sell. Oh well.

I will go to Fancy Bloomers and see what she has. Thanks!--Rosie

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I buy Optimaras just to have something in bloom while the others are beginning to respond to Spring. Alocal store has locally grown Optimaras, so they are very fresh. But usually have suckers. I will start leaves of Chanticleer, that will be more reliable than mailing leaves. However, we are talking about a few months from now before they will be ready. It is a lovely plant and I am glad to find someone else who loves it. Joanne

• Rosie1949
    9 years ago

Oh thank you so much. I don't mind leaves. Maybe by then I can come up with something I can trade for it, but if not I will pay postage! But it is still a little too cold to ship anything. But that is Michigan!!!! Geeze our weather is all over the place!

Oh have you ever seen AV Athena? She is another old one. Christmas Holly, Swiss Ballet oh I could go on and on. I still have my old catalogs from the 70's. Buell's was my favorite catalog and they have been out of business forever, but the color pics are beautiful memories for me! Once in a while I get out my issues of African Violet Society of America (again circa 70's/80's just to look at those beautiful color photos!--Rosie

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi, Rosie,

I wish I had your experience and started collecting back when you started! I used to grow other types of plats. I raised a few AVs back then, but got serious

about AVs only a few years ago. Now, I enjoy researching the older names. I have not seen Athena,

Joanne

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus