Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbya_gw

HAVE: I would love to start a Round robin leaf box...

Debra Andruska
15 years ago

Any interest? I'll start a round robin african violet leaf box, all named. Make a list of participants, and send the box off to the next person. In turn, you take what you want, and fill the box back up with different varieties of leaves. Let's do this quickly, before it get's too warm in some areas. My area (Illinois) is finally looking good for shipping. I'm so excited about this, and can't wait to see what comes back in the box. With this robin, the fewer that signup the better! The quicker the robin box will fly! Remember, take what you want, just replace it with something else. Have the box no longer than 3 days, and ship it by priority, with delivery confirmation. I'll start the box out with 25 DIFFERENT varieties, feel free to add more if you feel generous! All that I ask is you post here when the box arrives, and when it goes out. Also, REMEMBER the 3 day limit of keeping the box. Leaves travel really good, so we shouldn't have any problems.

Let's start this right away, once we have a few people to join. Think of how exciting it's going to be to open this box and see new varieties all for the price OF POSTAGE ONLY!

Deb

Comments (37)

• happyseed
    15 years ago

You Rock!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a fantastic idea. I am involved with several round robins but this one interests me far more than most. I recently became a african violet addict. I could never grow them until the past two years and I have finally had good luck. I have about 15 named and many named (but came from Wally World). Let me know when, how etc. Sonja

• poohbair90
    15 years ago

This sounds like fun. I've been wanting to trade some violet leaves for quite some time. Please let me know the details. thanks!

~Selena

• angel2008
    15 years ago

Count me in. Its always so much fun to receive a surprise box and who dont like surprises! CeCe

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Giving this a bump to the top~ anymore interested in joining the "Named African Violet/LEAF" round robin? Please send me your name/address, and I'll include you in the swap.
    I'll also post a final list here (where the box goes in order).
    Da1763@aol.com

Deb

• kal2002
    15 years ago

That sounds like fun and I have never done a round robin before. Please count me in. I will send you an email.

Thanks.

• terrilou
    15 years ago

I'm really interested in such an exchange. I may be too late, but will send you an email. Thanks!

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi,
    Keep sending in your emails with your info (name/address- garden web name too). I'll take swap participants for the entire weekend. I'll update who's info I already received tomorrow afternoon.
    I'll compile a list on Monday (box swap order), and send the box out on Tuesday! When the box arrives at your house, cross your name off the list, take whatever you want, replace what you took with "NAMED VARIETIES" and send it off to the next person. This should move fairly quickly. I can't wait to start it~ I have lots of really neat varieties! And I can't wait to see what's in the box! Sign up quickly!

Deb
    Da1763@aol.com

Please send all info to my direct email, when you send it through GW, it somehow gets lost. ;)

• angel2008
    15 years ago

Deb, just wondering if you got my info?? I just read now, it gets lost when sent thru GW. Let me know. CeCe

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I finally have a little time to update the swap. Sorry for the delay, we had three cookouts this weekend already, and one more tonight!

So far I've received info for~
    Corinne
    Joan
    Terri
    Selena
    Eileen

If your name isn't on the list and your still interested in participating in the "NAMED AFRICAN VIOLET LEAF ROUND ROBIN" please send it to me ASAP. I'll take names all night tonight, and tomorrow morning. Tomorrow afternoon, I'll compile the box route. And post it here. I'm working on the box tomorrow morning and will send it off after posting in the afternoon here. So, you still have time to join! Let's make this really fun, please keep the box moving as fast as you can! Take what varieties you want, replace them with varieties you have! ALL MUST BE CLEARLY LABELED (with the name). If your name isn't on the list, I don't have your info. Please re-send it again.

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, Here's the box route lineup as promised! I'm back on track after this loooonnng holiday weekend.

The order will be in which you signed up!

The last two are in the same state, so that works out very well!

The box will stop home for a mid-flight checkup (and I'll replace any leaves that look iffy, and pack it with new varieties) and send it back on the road again.

BOX ORDER....
    Corinne
    Joan
    Deb
    Terri
    Selena
    Eileen
    back home... to Deb

Terri's going on a short vacation, so it's a perfect time for the box to come back home and get packed with fresh leaves (new varieties).

I'll have a flight list in the package, cross of your name when the list arrives, pack the list back up and repack the box~ send it off, and let us know!

Let's keep this moving VERY QUICKLY! I'll do this again after we finish up this swap. Look for the new thread after we complete this one. So, if you haven't signed up for this, within a few weeks, look for the thread again. If everything goes as planned, this will be a super quick cheap way to exchange leaves! You must send this box by priority. Priority takes two days. I would also suggest using Delivery confirmation. It only costs .60 cents? I'm not sure on the price, I use it all the time, but don't pay attention to the cost. It's well worth the extra cents, and proves you mailed the package back out. You can track the package at any time on the USPS site. I'll be back and post the DC# on for the package when the box goes out to Corinne!

Corinne, your first, get your potting supplies ready! The box will be just as good as going to a violet show! :)
    Pick out whatever you want, and replace! Then send on to.. Joan!

Hugs,
    Deb

• angel2008
    15 years ago

Deb, Potting supplies are all ready and so am I...let the fun begin! This just may be better then going to a AV show to buy leaves and plants! (((HUGS))) Corinne

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Corinne,
    The box is on the way, I freshly cut the leaves this afternoon! USPS #0308 0730 0001 2991 1815.

If this swap turns out the way I think it will, this will be the best way to exchange leaves. You take what you want, and put what you have in.

I put 42 leaves in, 27 varieties. Just to name a few varieties that are in the box.. Ma's Prince Froggie, Firebird, Buckeye Edged Night, Apache Thunderbolt, Silverglade Castanets, etc. 27 Different varieties! These are not old outer leaves. I use the middle leaves (they produce the quickest, and are healthiest). The outer old leaves can take up to a year to reproduce.

I can't wait to see what comes back in the box!
    Let the fun begin~

Hugs,

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Giving this a bump to the top again, just to make sure everyone knows that the box is moving. ;)

Deb

• angel2008
    15 years ago

Just received the BOX...that Robin sure delivered it fast! I will open it take out whatever I want and have it flying on Monday,to Joan. (our post office closes at noon on Saturdays..) Thanks Deb.
    CeCe

• adgjoan
    15 years ago

Yahoo!! I can not wait! I will get it back into the mail the same day or the next.

Joan

• adgjoan
    15 years ago

Do you mind if I send some plantlets and leavies that are already rooted? Just getting my ducks in a row.

Joan

• kal2002
    15 years ago

Good question, Joan. I don't mind.

Eileen

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Joan,
    Plantlets and rooted leaves are fine to add! I was going to mention that in the original posting, but thought I would let each participant decide what to add.

The box should be on the move again today. ;)

Hugs,
    Deb

• angel2008
    15 years ago

The box is on the move as of just this afternoon. I wish I would of known we could of added plantlets ...I have so many! CeCe

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The box is moving quickly! :)
    Cece,
    Hold on to those plantlets, and let's do this again! I would love to host another round of plantlet/leaf swapping! I'll start another thread soon! It will be under "Round Robin #2~Planlet/leaf swap" It will be up to the person sending (whatever they feel like adding either leaves, or plantlets, or even a mix of both).

Deb

• angel2008
    15 years ago

Joan, here is the delivery conf. # 0307 1790 0005 0860 7230. The Robin carried it away yesterday..so it should be by you tomorrow.
    Deb..sounds good for robin #2. Let me know when your ready. CeCe

• adgjoan
    15 years ago

I got the box today. My goodness it was loaded with all kinds of goodies. Some of which I had thought about purchasing from a vendor. I will send the box out tomorrow.
    Joan

• adgjoan
    15 years ago

I sent the box out this morning. The DC# is
    0307 3330 0000 7765 0039 I hope you get the box on Saturday, Deb. Let me know if you like your goodies.

Joan

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Joan! I'll let you know as soon as the box arrives. I'll have it back out on Monday to finish up round #1!

Deb

• terrilou
    15 years ago

I think I'm next in line and I'm getting excited!!

Terri

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have to make this really short, my laptop battery is low.

The box arrived today! Thank you so much Joan! I didn't have any of the varieties you included! This is the BEST swap! What a neat, quick way to trade varieties!

The box will go back out on Monday, I'll post the DC# then.

Hugs,
    Deb

• poohbair90
    15 years ago

So, what's the status of where the box is? I hope the chain hasn't already been broken. I've been getting excited at the anticipation of all the goodies...

• terrilou
    15 years ago

I'm wondering also as I had anticipated receiving the box today or tomorrow at latest. As I will be leaving for a few days towards the end of next week, I'm especially concerned. I'm hoping nothing has befallen Deb.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The box is back on track--and should arrive with in two days at Terri's house! I mailed it today (Wednesday) by priority, so it should arrive on Friday!

Sorry for the 2 day delay! We had severe weather, and my garden/yard flooded. Lots of debris, tree limbs, leaves were tossed all over the yard. A tornado passed in the air, sirens went off and with in 5 minutes the trees went sideways. But, no major damage, just lots of yardwork!

The USPS tracking number is~ 0308 0730 0001 2991 3321
    I'm so glad the box is back on track!

Hugs,
    Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

27 "Named" varieties went out, 48 items, total!

Just to name a few (like I always do).. Lemon Whip, Grainger's Garden "Green Eyes", Senk's Yellow Starfish, Cabbage Patch, Sweet Talker, Firebird!

Ok, I'm done.. ;) Just wanted to give you a little peek, and keep up the interest of this swap!

Hugs,
    Deb

• kal2002
    15 years ago

Wow, I cannot wait to get my hands on that box but I am the last on the list. I love yellowish AV's.

• terrilou
    15 years ago

The box arrived today and it was such fun looking through all the varieties. I selected some, added some, and sent the box on its way. The DC# is 0307 1790 0001 2420 0525. Hopefully, you will receive it on Monday, Selena. This was most enjoyable. . . I'm looking forward to being in another round sometime in the future! Terri

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Terri,
    I'm glad you enjoyed the Round robin! I love these types of swaps! So much easier than trades, because you never really know what varieties the other person has already. This let's you choose what you want, and add what you have!

Thanks so much for joining! I would LOVE to host another RR!

Deb

• poohbair90
    15 years ago

Hi... got the box yesterday. And I've just sent it off to Eileen. DC: 0303 2460 0002 2844 6822

I was pleasantly surprised by all the different varieties. I can't wait to start seeing little babies popping up. :)

• kal2002
    15 years ago

I received the box yesterday. It has some nice surprises inside. I got it ready to go last night. It will be mailed back to Deb this morning. The delivery confirmation number is: 0306 3030 0001 2112 5029. Thanks, Deb, for this great idea.

Eileen

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Everyone for participating! The heat is too much for shipping violet leaves at this time. When the box returned to me all the leaves were totally brown. I wasn't able to save any of them. Very disappointing!

Let's do this again when it cools off!

Hugs,
    Deb

• kal2002
    15 years ago

Hi Deb,

As I said in my email to you, I feel very bad about the condition of the leaves. If the post office did not make a mistake and returned the box to me by accident and if the weather did not get to be about 100 degrees around here during those few days, maybe the leaves would have survived. I filed a major complaint with the post office regarding the error. The lesson I learned from this is that I wonÂt trade leaves again between May and October. When I received the box, there were already 2 packages of brown leaves. Our weather here in northern California has been way out of norm this year and totally unpredictable.

Eileen

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio