Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whitelacey1

HAVE: Another Spring Round Robin...

Whitelacey
9 years ago

Our Spring Round Robin has gone so well that we have decided to have another one. Please sign up quickly if you are interested; we want to beat the hot weather.

Linda

Comments (104)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maya,

Let us know when you get the box! It should be soon! :)

Linda

• Vikki
    9 years ago

Looks like Maya should have gotten it yesterday, So I'm next?

Vikki

This post was edited by vivey on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 21:52

• MayaP
    9 years ago

Hey!
    I'm so sorry for posting late! I have had a couple of really packed days (This is actually my first chance to get on the computer since Thursday!!!)!
    I got the box on Friday and shipped it out the same day. Lot's of great varieties! Vikki, you should get it Monday! The tracking number is 91149012308035719676 ---- Enjoy!!!! :D
    My choices were
    Biscayne Trail
    Blue Dragon
    Optimara Hawaii
    Rob's Loose Noodle
    California Victory
    Mermaid
    Nymph Fly
    Grandma's Love
    Jazz Bouquet
    NOW GROW!!!!! Lol, I can't wait to see how these varieties turn out.
    Thank you so much for letting me participate in this round robin!!! It was great fun, and I definitely hope to do this again :)

Maya

• tamixwp
    9 years ago

I would love to get in on this but I have none I bought with names but I do have a nice collection. If anyone would like to trade let me know. Most all mine are blooming now and I can get pictures of them. Also if anyone has any idea what mine might be. I too realize that might not be possible.

Tami

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tami,

Post a new message here. Many people don't care about names and would be willing to trade with you. Pictures always help!

Linda

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vikki,

Please let me know when you get the box. I am still working around Brunilda's vacation dates.

Just a few thoughts for everyone: please make sure there are at least 25 varieties in the box when you ship it. Also, if any leaves look 'iffy', please remove them and replace so the next person does not get a box of mush!

Linda

• Vikki
    9 years ago

I got the box, but it was a surprise. The notice that it was being sent just showed up in my email this morning. I was gone all of today, so all the leaves were soaking and I'll be able to get it back out tomorrow. Just to make sure, I'm suppose to send it on to Susan? I just want to make sure with the changes we've made.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, send it to Susan. If I need to switch, I will have her send it to Minal. Minal can then send to Brunilda. It all depends on how quickly everything goes.

Make sure you let us know what you got!

Susan please make sure you let me know when you get the box. Thanks!

Linda

• Vikki
    9 years ago

I'll post the tracking # tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me anything about Wrangler's Ruffled Warrier? I can't find anything about it. Is this the correct name?

• terrilou
    9 years ago

It's Wranglers Ruffled Warrior. I probably threw in an "e" by mistake. I don't have the official description, but the flowers are a reddish violet, mostly semi. . . Variegated leaves.

Terri

• Vikki
    9 years ago

Thanx. I was finding lots of info on Wrangler's Savage Warrior, but not Ruffled Warrior.

Vikki

• Vikki
    9 years ago

The box is heading off to Susan today. Tracking is 9405 5036 9930 0319 2791 27. I'll post the list of leaves I snarfed out of the box later :)

• Vikki
    9 years ago

I took a lot of the leaves, some because they were starting to turn.

Tomorrow's Pink Ice
    Genetic Heir
    Wrangler's Ruffled Warrior
    King's Ransom
    Mac's Scorching Sun
    Rob's Gundaroo
    Tiny Tim (T=leaves were turning)
    Corkie
    Teen Thunder
    Optimara Little Azurite
    Rob's Twinkle Pink (leaves were turning)
    Bourane
    Rob's Humpty Doo
    Starry Night Blue
    Green Dragon (leaves were turning)
    2 streps
    Primulia Dayas 'Hysako'

Susan, I hope you enjoy what I left and what added :)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Susan, Minal, and Brunilda,

Susan-send the box to Minal instead of Brunilda. Brunilda won't be home until the 23rd and it's cutting things a little close if you send to her as on the list. I'll send all of you an e-mail to make sure you know of the change. Let me know that you got it.

Thanks!
    Linda

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vikki,

Thanks for taking the 'iffy' ones! Now Susan won't get a box of mush!

Linda

• Vikki
    9 years ago

They wouldn't have made it to her. The leaves were already getting yucky. I soaked them overnight in sugar water and potted them up, but I really don't expect them to make it. BUT stranger things have happened.

• suecirish
    9 years ago

Thanks, Vikki! The tracking says the box should arrive here tomorrow. I am looking forward to it.

Linda, I got your message and I'll send to Minal.

Sue

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vikki,

Again, thanks for replacing the 'iffy' ones. It's very disappointing to open a box and be met with a bunch of unusable leaves.

Susan,

Let us know when you get them! And Minal is expecting the box from you so we are all set.

Linda

• suecirish
    9 years ago

The box was here Friday when I got home. I have a really busy weekend, but I was able to get the box back out on Saturday morning. You should have it on Monday, Minal.
    Tracking # 9114901230801647272010

There were lots of great choices in the box and everything looked great.
    I kept:
    Optimara Everbeautiful
    Honeysuckle Rose
    Heritage Frolic
    Optimara Everspecial
    Edee's Rosebud
    Painted Silk
    Toy Castle
    Optimara Kentucky
    Wrangler's Dixie Celebration
    Lady Trail

Thanks, Linda, for another great Round Robin. And thanks to everyone who participated. If it wasn't for the weather, I would love to do these all year long. Will be looking forward to the Fall RR.
    Enjoy your summer, everyone!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sue,

I agree-all year 'round would be great! It's fun to look forward to the different varieties, watching them grow and anticipating what they will look like when mature.

It's been fun for me dealing with everyone on this RR. All have been so nice and co-operative with our changes. It's been a pleasure.

Linda

• Vikki
    9 years ago

Linda, I totally agree!

• shabbu
    9 years ago

Got the box today, only one leaf was iffy, all others were in great condition. Loved the variety this time!!!

The ones I kept are:

Ozio
    Tatanka
    Optimara Little Moonstone
    Skagit Victory Trail
    Snow Jewel
    Rebels Splatter Kake
    Optimara Evergrace
    Warm Sunshine
    Foxwood Trail
    Ballet Snowcone
    Morgans Barossa
    Skagit Cascade Trail
    The Madam (trail)

I will send it out to Brunilda next tomorrow. The tracking # is: 9405509699937665077477

Thanks Linda!!

Minal.

• Brunilda
    9 years ago

Can't wait!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am very happy with the way this RR has turned out. Talking to others who have done RR's in the past, there are sometimes a few people who do not follow the guidelines. They do not send forward the agreed number of leaves/plants or leave the 'iffy' ones in for the next in line. (Both very unfair to the next recipient). This has been a great group! We'll do this again come fall!

Linda

• Vikki
    9 years ago

When should I be watching for the next one to be announced? I don't want to miss out on it!

Also, anytime anyone here would like to do an AV trade, just let me know. I'm always up for a fun trade!

Vikki

• susan_kc
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry missed this RR! For some reason, notifications weren't being sent to my email and so it just slipped my mind...oh, well. Looks like everyone had a great time and got some wonderful varieties! Hoping to jump in next time around...still trying to track down Bob Serbin, which I see was in the box at some point! lol :)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How about I start collecting names in August with a thought to start in September, depending on how hot it is then. I'll put in on my calender so I don't forget. Sound good?

Brunilda,

I happened upon your Facebook page today. Great photos!

Vikki,

I'm up for a trade. Let me know!

Linda

This post was edited by whitelacey on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 0:16

• Debra Andruska
    9 years ago

Hmm, you know we could do another swap- a one to one swap. Boxes travel within 2 days, so things would be ok. Unless your temps are 100* then hold off shipping until temps are in the low 80's!
    Should we start another thread or is everyone done trading and waiting for fall? Our temps in chicago are bouncing- it's 55* tonight and 74* tomorrow. Then low 80's arrive, with more rain!

• Vikki
    9 years ago

Deb, I'm up for a one on one trade!. Temps are hotter here than by you, but if I know the box is coming, I just make sure I leave work early to get it as soon as it arrives. So far it's worked ok.

• Brunilda
    9 years ago

Box arrived arrived today most of these are not looking so good. Is there something in particular that I should do to the leave before I plant them to increase their survival rates?

I have taken:
    hearts of aglow - will cut off all ths brown and cross my fingers
    yellowstone - ok
    cherokee Trail - one leave rotted other iffy
    Play full spectrum - ok
    Acas tornado - ok
    Pink chablis - ok
    Mas Easter parade -ok

Have about 10 semi\mini so I hope Vikki you grow them!
    I plan to mail back out tomorrow!

• Brunilda
    9 years ago

I added Floozie, harmony's news flash, Picasso, Bob Serbin, Buckeye Scrumptious, O Rhaosodie Ingrid, & O My darling. I put in a new box as the the box looked crushed.

You should have Monday.

• Brunilda
    9 years ago

Sorry I just noticed I said it was going back to Vikki but actually its going home back to Linda.

• tamixwp
    9 years ago

Linda,
    You might try soaking the leaves in Superthrive. That does work for Hoya and other plants. Might work for Violet leaves as well.

• tamixwp
    9 years ago

I read that and it sounded stupid. I didn't mean to soak the whole leaf but the ends like some people root them when they root in water.

Tami

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brunilda,

You can soak the leaves in warmish water with a little sugar added. You can also use a drop or two of Superthrive if you have it. Some people soak overnight but if they are mushy I would just do an hour or so.

If anyone would like me to organize a one-on-one (since I have all the names and addresses), I will. We could keep this up all summer for those who want to and I could just keep re-arranging the names so there are no repeats.

A thought-you could send me a list of your preferences-what you have and what you would like, and I could make up a list based on that. Nothing very specific, just minis, variegates, etc. as there were some who just wanted minis this time around.

Just a thought.

Let me know!

Linda

• Debra Andruska
    9 years ago

A simple tip.. Always hold the leaf up to the light, look at the veins, in back, they shouldn't have any noticeable color. if you see it water logged (brownish color) pronounced clear look- the leaf is rotted. You can't save it. It will rot! If it's only half, you can cut the clear/brown damaged part off, dust in cinnamon and *hope* that it makes it. Lots of times it does! it's easier to plump up a shriveled leaf than save a rotted. You can safely soak a leaf for 24 hours, I usually just give them a spray w/ warm water, keep it in the Baggie, sealed is ok or open a little is fine too. If it's going to make it- it plumps back up and looks good. I've been doing this lately- even keeping them for a week in the water 'spritzed' bag- and what looks good I plant. Rot shows up quickly! Doing this I save a ton of time planting. Or just add the blonde spag moss to the leaf bag that look crisp- good. And close pin the bag to my plant stand.
    The leaves root really well in the moss, and love the bag because it's the perfect greenhouse moisture environment! Once you see babies you can leave the bag open or snip the end w/ scissors and start getting the plants 'used' to the air. Just spray (feel) the moss and keep it slightly damp. Not over soggy. Seeing what survives in a bag saves lots of time planting!

• Vikki
    9 years ago

Sending to me?!? NOT A PROBLEM!!!!!! I would love to get the box again :)

This post was edited by vivey on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 12:28

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vikki,

I'll send to you if you send to me!

Linda

• MayaP
    9 years ago

Linda,

I would love to participate in a one-to-one trade! :D I prefer mini's as I don't have much room to grow at the moment. Please let me know if and when a pairing is arranged :)

Maya

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maya,

Let me look through my notes and see who grows minis. Meanwhile, is there someone who would like to trade with Maya?

Linda

• Vikki
    9 years ago

Sebding Maya a PM.

• Vikki
    9 years ago

I tried to send Maya a PM but it looks like her email is blocked. Maya, please PM me.

Vikki

• MayaP
    9 years ago

Sent Vikki a PM

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ladies!

Here are a few that may be interested in one-on-one trades: Maya, Vikki, Vikki's friend Susan, (I have her e-mail if you would like to contact her I will send it to her. I don't want to print it without her okay), Deb and me.

Linda

• Vikki
    9 years ago

Susan M. was part of the first spring RR. She's the one above who posted that she was sad she had missed this RR. She goes by kcgirl81 here on GW.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Everyone!

Our RR finished up yesterday on a successful note. I have potted up all my leaves and now it's a waiting game as you all know. I will post my new treasures tomorrow as I have had a busy day.

I do want to thank whomever included the Primula.(Who was it?) I have never grown one and am looking forward to it. It already has roots!

Linda

• Debra Andruska
    9 years ago

It was probably me! Was it Kazu? I have a few of them.. And love them, they are beautiful and bloom constantly. And root in a bag really easy!

Deb

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Everyone!

Here is the wrap-up on our second RR.

I got:
    Rhapsodie Ingrid
    Bloomlover's Prince
    Buckeye Scrumptious
    Harmony's News Flash
    Floozie
    Picasso
    Bob Serbin
    My Darling 'O'
    Bedroom Eyes
    Yesterday's Evidence
    Pueblo
    Ness' Fantasy Gold
    Chirita 'Kazu' Thanks, Deb!

I also got five that were not viable. (My Chirita is not doing well, either:( )

I tried to figure out how long the leaves could be in transit before they started to go bad. It seems, by the handwriting on the bags, that the last three senders arrived safely and one or two of the others survived. So, without going through 100-plus postings, I am going to estimate that Susan, Minal and Brunilda's were the ones that arrived safely. Susan sent on June 19th and I got the last box on July 2nd. So that's about two weeks for future reference.

It's been lots of fun and everyone was great. I'm looking forward to another one (or two) in the fall.

Linda

• Vikki
    9 years ago

I'm already looking forward the the fall RR - 2 of them, hopefully!!

• ima_digger
    9 years ago

I've been watching the posting of all the great leaves that have been shared. I didn't join the second Spring, because I thought it would be too hot for leaves to travel during the summer months. I guess I was wrong. It looked like everything went great.
    Now I'm getting antsy for the Fall RR. Can't wait for that one to start.
    Eileen

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting