Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbya_gw

wanted: fall plantlet/leaf swap! sign ups starting now!

Debra Andruska
12 years ago

I'll start it-- with 25 NAMED varieties, all clearly labeled, named!

What will you add? Whatever you have extra- plantlets, leaves- you won't know what's in the box until it arrives! What a wonderful way to get extra plants/leaves- for the price of postage! Make sure you replace what you took! That's the only rule, plus adding named varieties of course! ;)

The box should have at least 25 NAMED varieties at all times, if you feel more generous (or need to make room on your shelves, add more) I'm sure someone will appreciate and give a good home to your babies/leaves!

Sign ups will be for a few weeks. Let's start this in September/12th Monday (as our 'start' date) as long as it's ok with everyone.

The weather in most areas should be cooler.

Ok, who's interested? Post- and then send me your address. I'll compile a list and a flight plan for the box.

I'm sooo excited- and hope we get enough participants!

Deb

Comments (34)

• suecirish
    12 years ago

Hi Deb, I'm in on this one. I've been watching for you to post. I hope we have a good sign-up turn out. I'll send you an email with my address.

Sue

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Deb, I'm in on this one too. When do you plan to start shipping the box? I'll be out of town from Sept 27 thru Oct 6. I'll email you my address.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Any more interested in our Fall leaf/plantlet swap? Bringing this up to the top-- I'll work around any schedule (vacation) we need more people to participate though. With only 2 signed up so far, it's not enough.

We still have time--

Deb

• suecirish
    12 years ago

Deb, should an email be sent to the others who posted an interest on the earlier swap post in the spring? And maybe a note on the discussion side of this forum might help too. I hope we can get at least a couple more folks to sign up.

Sue

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

I think posting it on the Discussion side will help. Not too many check out the Exchange. Just my thoughts. I would love to see this RR happen.

• aviolet6
    12 years ago

I don't need 25 new ones but I'd be happy to send out some extras that I have. Not sure we can incorporate that into your current exchange / swap though.

Tricia

• terrilou
    12 years ago

Hi Deb, Count me in on this round. Its been a couple of years since I participated. I will send an email with my address.

Terri

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, this is going to work! I'll mail the box out on Monday Sept. 12 to- Susan! Susan will send it to Eileen, Eileen sends it to Terri. ;) Terri sends it back to me!
    I'll have pre-made USPS labels with all the addresses in the box.

Susan
    Eileen
    Terri

Hopefully, we get a few more to join, but if we don't we have enough! Yay, our round robin's going to happen! If more do participate the swap lineup is going to remain the same- the 'new swappers' that sign up will receive the box after Terri. I'll always get it last. :)

Deb

• suecirish
    12 years ago

This will be great! My babies are growing strong, and I just had Optimara identify the names of three of my violets! :) So now I can swap leaves too!

• jpalmer1234
    12 years ago

Hi, I am new to avs but I do have a few plantlets and quite a few different leafs that I could add. If there is still room to join please let me know!

• woodsidetrader
    12 years ago

Hi, any chance I can still get in on this. I don't have a lot to trade right now; I lost about 2/3 of my plants while going thru chemo and being too sick to take care of them. but ready to get back to AVs. My survivors are strong so I can add lots of leaves, but from only a few varieties.

• myhumminbird
    12 years ago

Do you have room for one more? LMK, Marie

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The box is on the way to Susan and should arrive on Friday! Sorry for the slight delay- I wasn't feeling well on Monday, had to work Tuesday. I always have to freshly harvest/pick the day of shipping so had to wait until today because packing a box takes me a lot of time! ;) The box is totally FULL- hmm, what's in it? Russian, several trailing varieties, Neptune (really old variety), Glenna, some hard to find varieties, and ?? 25 different varieties! All named of course, bagged in separate baggies!

Please post here when the box is received and goes back out--

Also, let us know what varieties you picked (so everyone can drool, LOL)- just don't tell us what you added!

Our weather is changing fast, it's going down to 40* tonight- so I kept the original small lineup for the swap..

Goes in this order-
    Susan
    Eileen
    Terri

Back home/Deb

If my weather isn't unseasonably chilly when the box comes back- I'll consider doing a second round. But, for now- I'm doing the original swap lineup.
    Sorry to those who signed up late. I'll post another thread if my weather is still nice/mild after the box comes back home.. If not, I'll start another swap in the Spring!

Susan the Delivery confirmation number USPS/priority is-
    0310 3200 0000 1353 6209

Get those pots, solo cups- soil ready! Your in for a fun day of planting!

Please everyone-- feel free to take whatever-- just replace what you take! And if you feel like being extra generous- I'm sure that your babies/leaves will find a really good home, LOL!

Everyone has a little violet piggy in them, LOL! Ok, you can tell I'm really over tired!

:et the swapping begin! Gooooo box!
    Deb

• myhumminbird
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the reply, sounds like you guys are going to have a lot of fun!! I will look forward to the next one, Marie

• suecirish
    12 years ago

Yay! The box is on the way to me! I'll be waiting for it to arrive on Friday afternoon. Deb, everything sounds so tempting. It's a good thing I have a few plantlets and leaves ready to swap. I'll post right away. Sorry to those who signed up later, but keep watching this forum for future swaps.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sue,
    I know I feel bad about those who signed up later too.. But this weather is crazy! A friend in Michigan said they are under frost warnings for later on in the week. So- I really wanted to keep the swap small. I didn't expect Fall to hit so hard! But, as we all know things change- so I might do another quick swap if things look better in a few weeks. ;)

Another quick peek-- of what's in the box
    A few Spacebaby leaves (Optimara EverGrace) I love this variety. It's in constant bloom and the leaves are so pretty! Almost 'lacy' looking to me! The seeds for this variety were sent into space. Look up the Optimara "series" for more details. They grow HUGE too!

I'll check back on Friday!

Deb

• Julia (1meanmop)
    12 years ago

i will one day be in on the trade. Just as soon as my children are grown and I can come up with some named av's

• suecirish
    12 years ago

YaY! The box is here! Deb, these all look wonderful. Nice job! Some names I recognize but I think I am going to be on the computer for hours looking up all these varieties. At a quick glance I've already found two that have been on my wish list. I don't know if I will be able to turn it around quickly enough to get the box out tomorrow (Saturday) morning, but definitely by Monday morn it will be on it's way to Eileen. I'll post here.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm so glad the box arrived quickly! I love priority shipping! ;)
    All of the varieties I sent, I love growing and are my favorites! Please feel free to add a bigger box! I didn't have time to go to the post office and just used what I had at home.

Have fun looking everything up- and potting up some new stuff!

I love swapping! I'm so excited to see what comes back in the box!

Deb

• suecirish
    12 years ago

OK, I did it - I wanted to try to get it to the PO and off to Eileen because I know she is anxious to get the box and get everything settled before she goes out of town. So, after drooling over all the online photos last night, I made my selections, and got all my swaps packed up and ready to go this morning.

So the box is on its way to you, Eileen!
    DC# 0310 1230 0001 1668 4965

Now for the goodies~
    I knew I had up to 10 named varieties that I could swap. So I was able to select 10 from the box, all leaves. There were some baggies with several leaves and I took extra from those and left the rest for somebody else. This is what I got:
    Vampire's Kiss
    Frosted Denim
    (These two were on my most wanted list! YaY! Thanks Deb!)
    Strawberry Fields
    Russian Golubye Lubochki
    Rob's Denim Demon
    Neptune
    Optimara EverGrace
    Sonoma Penelope
    Brass Band
    Silverglade Dolls
    Blue Lace
    Smooch Me

I added 6 baggies with leaves, and I think 3 of these had extra leaves, and 4 baggies with little rooted plants. Most were standards, but I think there were two minis. So the box still had the 25 named varieties.

This was great fun and I'm thrilled with my selections. I can't wait to see what everyone else chooses! Thank you, thank you, Deb!

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

WOO HOO~~~Box came late this afternoon. I spent the afternoon picking and choosing. There was not enough time for me to get it back to the post office today. It will be in the mail first thing in the morning.

Here's what I took:
    Allan's Fallen Angel
    Senk's Whisper of Pink
    Ballet Snowcone - mini plantlet
    Artic Frost = plantlet
    White Madona - plantlet
    Optimara Romance
    Foxwood Trail - plantlet
    Ness Crinkle Blue
    Optimara Chico - for my chihuahua 'Chico'---I hope it's as cute as he is.
    Thanks for organizing this Deb. We will have to do it again in the Spring.

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

OK Terri
    Box is on it's way. Here's the del.#
    9405 5036 9930 0225 4677 62
    Hope you enjoy what's inside. Box is chock full.
    Have fun.

• terrilou
    12 years ago

Great! I'm looking forward to its arrival and will try to return it to Deb pronto.

• terrilou
    12 years ago

I made a quick trip to the post office this morning to catch the box before we take off for a couple of days. The box is now ready to go and I will drop it off at at a post office along the way. If I can get to a computer tonight I will send the D.C. number.
    These are some of the leaves I chose:

Smooch Me
    Ozio
    Glenna
    Optimara Dali
    Trailing Love

Since signing up for this round robin, we sold our home, so I'm trying to limit the number of my plants. For now, anyway!

Thanks Deb for organizing this exchange.

Terri

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Terri,
    I'm sure your excited about moving and have a ton of things to do, so totally understand about you not wanting to have too many new leaves/plants at this time! ;)

I'm sooo excited to get the box back, and can't wait to see what's in it!

Thanks to EVERYONE that participated and made this so much fun! Trading is the BEST way to get new stuff for just the price of postage! Every time I go to a violet show, I pay $6 to $8 for a violet/strep (on average) some of them do cost less too, but are really small.

I'll post all the box contents when it returns! I have my soil/pots ready! ;)

Hugs,
    Deb

• terrilou
    12 years ago

Hi Deb, Confirmation number is 0309 3220 0002 4066 1215
    Enjoy!

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi,
    No box came today. I checked the DC number, it's still at a sorting post office. It should be here Monday. ;)

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I expected the box today, went to the store for a few minutes and of course the mail came. The box had postage due, almost $2.00? So the mail man didn't leave it in the box. I went to the post office with the notice/postage due- and the package was still in the delivery truck. It's being re-delivered tomorrow. I hope everything's ok in the box.

Will post again tomorrow- with an update if I have one..

Deb

• terrilou
    12 years ago

Deb, I sent you a PM with all my rants against the post office but just wanted to say here that I am sorry for the mix-up. This after I hurried to get the box in the mail and hopefully have it to you by last Saturday. Again, if the leaves aren't usable, I will be happy to mail you a box and this time I will take it to my hometown post office.

Terri

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, I paid the extra postage ($2) and I waited for the mail man so did receive the box today- I was a little disappointed a lot of them were rotted...

Frosted denim (rotted- I put it in, but put in several, 5 or more?)
    Christening gown (1 really tiny leaf rotted)
    Okie Grape festival (rotted- I put it in, again put in a few?)
    Splendiferous/rotted 2 leaves
    Confusia Mather rotted/2 tiny leaves
    Biscayne trail rotted leaf (I put in a few, plus a plantlet?)
    Midnight Radiation (rotted 1 leaf)
    Foxwood trail (rotted leaves I put in- I put in several leaves, plus a plantlet?)
    Island breezes (rotted leaf I put in-several leaves?)
    Ode to beauty (rotted leaf)
    Silverglade Streams (rotted leaf I put in a few?)
    Opt. Dali (rotted)
    Opt. Monique (rotted, one good) I'll try cinnamon for the half rotted leaf that survived!
    Rhap. Barbara, rotted 2 leaves
    Ness Crinkle blue- both leaves rotted!
    Okie Easter bunny-one leaf rotted
    Ness Fantasy Gold, clear, rotted
    Optimara Texas rotted 2 leaves
    Orchard's bumble magnet 2 leaves rotted

Opt. Maine, one leaf survived.. and a plant of Ma's Party Music, so I really thank the person who put it in!
    So, if I counted right.. I ended up with one plant, and a couple of leaves.

I really hope everyone's leaves do really well. I had so much fun putting in all the varieties- I would love to do it again right away- but I'm a little disappointed.

Deb

• suecirish
    12 years ago

Oh, Deb, that's really too bad that so many of the leaves were rotted. Looks like those Optimara leaves are survivors though. Overall, the travel time was two weeks. This was my first AV round robin, so I wasn't sure myself of how long the leaves would survive and that's why I really tried to mail out again the next day. But, of course, that's not always possible. Have you found a difference in how long leaves will last in the past? I wonder if the weather had anything to do with this. You said that there was a cold snap where you were, and it was pretty hot here in New England, so maybe the drastic change in temps didn't help them survive. So far, I think all the leaves I took are surviving so far.

Thanks for having this round robin. I think I'm set for now, but if you have another in the spring, I'm sure I'll be in.

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Deb, maybe the weather was still too hot. And it took five days for box to get to you. Hopefully, in the Spring, we will have more to participate and you will get some nice ones back.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Our weather was crazy! 50's during the day, 40's at night. ;) I have a feeling the box was in an unheated truck or unheated building all weekend (for several days, LOL). You can tell something happened to them..

Oh well, I'm happy with what I received. :) I'll do this again in the Spring. The ones that did ok- were in the center of the box!

Hugs,
    Deb

• aviolet6
    12 years ago

Deb, that is just awful what happened. You were so excited about this and had to wait till last to get yours and didn't get hardly any. I would be so disappointed! Anyway, I have leaves & plantlets to offer if you or anyone else wants some. I have 3 people to send some to but I will probably have more after that - if you want any please let me know. I'm trying to get all my extras sent out before winter hits.

Tricia

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH