Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louise84_gw

wanted: fall 2013 av (only) round robin signups!

Louise84
10 years ago

If you would like to join in an African Violet only Round Robin, please sign up here!

The details:

Will plan on this starting around September 3rd or so, depending on weather. If we get enough interest, I'll do two boxes to keep it moving and material fresher.

Will be for named AV's only. Should we limit to leaves only to help minimize potential pest problems?

The box will be started with approximately 25 varieties, please take out as many as you would like and replace with at least that many. There should always be at least 25 varieties in the box.

Box must be shipped via Priority Mail and should be shipped to next person ASAP. You must post the Delivery Confirmation number when you mail it to the next person.

Label each variety and note the date added on the baggie. Please do NOT wrap the leaves in moist paper towels or include any water in the baggies. Please remove any varieties which are mushy and replace if you can.

Please don't participate if you have any unresolved pest or disease issues in your plants.

Please email the following to me:
- Name
- Address
- Email Address
- Any dates you will be away and unavailable to receive/send the box.
- Any preferences regarding size, foliage, most wished for, etc.

If I missed anything, please feel free to add!

Participants and Preferences - Updated 9.2.13

- becky15349 - Becky - Likes Russians, Rob's, Mac's, minis, reds, fantasy
- bttrflii - CJ - Likes minis and micro minis
- Chiquib313 - Chiqui - Likes Species, Trailers, vintage, Mac's and variegated foliage
- debbya - Deb - no preference
- dkgresh - Donna - no preference
- ima_digger - Eileen - Likes Russian
- louise84 - Louise - Looking for Mac's and Rob's
- minal - Minal - likes miniatures
- parr - Patricia - likes standards and trailers
- suecirish - Sue - likes trailers, vintage, species, wasps, girl foliage; Hybridizers: Senk, Storytella, Skagit, Optimara

Hope this is lots of fun!!

Louise

This post was edited by Louise84 on Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 20:25

Comments (88)

• bttrflii
    10 years ago

kc: linda got your email but had no way to reply to you. email her again but include your email address, and she said she'd see what she could do!

• susan_kc
    10 years ago

Thank you, sorry for the mixup!

• suecirish
    10 years ago

Sounds like some really nice variety selections in the box. Glad to see it's moving along quickly. That really helped with the one I did last spring. Can't wait for it to get here!

• bttrflii
    10 years ago

just a note... the box won't be delivered today. if my town hasn't gotten it by AM (which it hasn't), then that means our sorting town (who never updates tracking information, ever) is being a greedy pig like every other time and still has it. i should get it tomorrow.

i really hate usps.

• bttrflii
    10 years ago

some leaves are quite soft but not toast yet, but the only truly dead ones were the small plantlet of grandma's love and the leaf of connecticut.

i took:
    - always pink
    - ballet snowcone
    - kentucky baby bells
    - nancy's baby girl
    - optimara(?) blue topaz
    - senk's fruit fly

and coworkers snagged:
    - baby brian
    - blue tail fly
    - cherokee trail
    - music box dancer
    - rob's zuit suit

i've been looking for fruit fly, so extra thanks to whomever that came from! i'm looking forward to seeing how these guys turn out. :)

next tracking number: 9114901159815600782740

• Louise84
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad you and your coworker found some good ones. That is neat that you work with someone who also enjoys violets. My mom is the only person I know locally who grows them. Although I am getting my next door neighbor back into them. :)

We'll be at the half way point when the box gets to Chiqui!

I'm going to add Susan in near the end, either before or after Eileen. Eileen, Susan and I are all away at various times over the next few weeks so I'll adjust the order if needed to accommodate. Minal, I'll email you if I need you to change who you are shipping to.

Louise

• bttrflii
    10 years ago

coworkers plural. :) we have quite the AV fan club going. the first took baby brian and blue tail fly, the second took cherokee trail, the third took music box dancer, and the fourth had a hard time deciding between music box dancer or rob's zoot suit but finally picked zoot suit. looking back at the list i posted here, it looks like i really like "uit" and spelled zoot wrong. oops!

the blue tail fly was the leaf hardest hit by dehydration, so we'll have to see if she can get it turned around and growing. none of us have seen a wasp flower yet, so we'll have to cross our fingers a bit.

• Debra Andruska
    10 years ago

Soak dehydrated leaves in 1/4 cup water, pinch of sugar. Even overnight if needed, make sure you freshly cut stem too, so there is no callous preventing the leaf from soaking the solution. Rinse before planting. If leaf rots at all, cut off rotten parts with a razor, exacto knife- dust cuts with cinnamon. Cinnamon is a natural fungicide. Leaves need to be misted once per day for two weeks, up until roots form. I've read in various articles they are only able to soak up water through the leaf up until rooted.
    I've received Silverglade leaves directly from Sylvia Harrison in South Africa, the leaves were in transit 2 1/2 weeks, they looked so dry and limp when they arrived, with the sugar soak I was able to save all of them. Some soaked overnight! As long as leaves are shipped dry they have a chance, if shipped wet- rot sets in and if its not cut out, stopped- you lose the variety.

Deb

• shabbu
    10 years ago

No problem Louise, will wait for your email.

• bttrflii
    10 years ago

today i learned that florida is in texas. :p

Arrival at Post Office
    September 19, 2013, 4:50 am
    AUSTIN, TX 78710

Scheduled Delivery Day: (this is to florida, btw)
    September 19, 2013

• Louise84
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ack... Now it is showing as available for pickup. CJ I sent you an email so we can double check that is the correct tracking number... please let me know.

Louise

• Louise84
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, we confirmed that the tracking # is correct. I called the PO in Austin and got a very helpful lady. She said that the zip code on the tracking info with "Available for pickup" is the zip code dedicated to the IRS. Since we can't pay our tax bills with violets ;) she said that the package would be rerouted. She said that it may have already been picked out and sent on its way to FL but if not, the IRS would do so in its mail sorting. She said they have a large sort facility and seemed to think that it would be caught promptly.

Chiqui - if we don't see the tracking info update and/or you don't receive the package within a few days, please let me know and we will get a new one going.

Thanks!

Louise

• chiquib313
    10 years ago

Yikes! Texas, the IRS???? Hope they catch it soon. Will let you know if I receive it.

• Louise84
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Provided that the box doesn't make an appearance tomorrow, Chiqui has been kind enough to start a new box for us.

If we start a new box, the order will be revised slightly to accomodate people who are out of town.

Provided a new box is begun, the order will be:

Susan M.
    Louise
    Donna
    Sue C.
    Minal
    Eileen
    Chiqui

If the box arrives tomorrow from the IRS, we'll continue with the order as previously posted.

Thanks for your help Chiqui!

Louise

• suecirish
    10 years ago

So, did the box arrive? or is a new one going out tomorrow?

A comment (not a criticism at all) - perhaps our list of participants is getting too long to do just one box?

• Louise84
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The box did not arrive yesterday and Chiqui is planning to get a new one in the mail tomorrow, Monday.

You have a good point Sue. What does everyone think is the optimum length? We just wrapped up a different one which had 6 people but that one was very smooth. This one has 11 people. I think the speed which the box moves is as or more important than the number of people. Obviously, the box being mis-delivered in Texas wasn't anyone's fault and there wasn't anything we could do about that. That set us back a bit in time...

Louise

• bttrflii
    10 years ago

with the proviso that i hadn't done a round robin before, i would agree that the number of people in the list doesn't matter if the box moves quickly.

i do have a question for next time, though... is usps required, or are alternatives such as fedex and ups acceptable if they are shipped two-day? i already had to pay over $10 to get the leaf box shipped, and at that price ups is a much better choice for my area since our post office is not so great, as evidenced by the rerouting of a florida box to the irs...

• Louise84
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think the big thing with UPS/FedEx is the cost. My husband, who uses them a lot for his business, gave me a guesstimate that shipping a 2 lb package 2nd day to a residential address would be $30 to $40. Ground is normally slower than USPS Priority. I use USPS for my business to ship packages daily and while I know a lot of people complain about them, I really have nothing but good things to say. In 4 years, I've only had one package mis-delivered for my business. Now obviously, this is a bummer that our box got lost, but I think that is the rarity, not the norm.

For me, it is much more convenient to ship via USPS as they come to my house every day vs having to locate a UPS drop off.

Louise

• susan_kc
    10 years ago

A little off-topic, but did we decide whether it's okay to send plantlets, or are we just sticking with leaves? If plantlets are okay, what is the best way to ship--in solo cups or bare root?

• bttrflii
    10 years ago

i see no mention here, but on the instructions in the box, it says plantlets should have their roots wrapped in a moist (or some other word that means "not dry") paper towel.

• Debra Andruska
    10 years ago

Sorry to see problems... It happens occasionally.
    Trading time is so limited, for Chicago it's 4 more weeks.
    I'm sure other areas less. Chiqui is starting up a box, as long as it goes out ASAP, the swap should finish. 2 per week on average.

Or if things change, and no one wants to start a box, you could always finish it up as a one to one swap. Pair off the remaining, and each get a swap Pal. Boxes go out immediately, swap wraps up! ;)

USPS is the cheapest, easiest, and now comes with free tracking. We tried Ups once- it cost the person $25 and took 4 days!

Deb

• Louise84
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, we should be good for weather. The balance of the people are on the east coast so travel time should be minimal.

Also, as CJ said, plantlets are fine. Try to remove as much of the soil as you can and then wrap the roots to keep them moist. I wrap them in a strip of moist paper towel. I've seen them wrapped with paper towel and then wrapped in alum. foil too.

Louise

• chiquib313
    10 years ago

I have finished packing the new box this morning and it is ready to ship out going to Susan in SC. USPS Priority Mail tracking #9405503699300067834968.

The original box is still MIA so by the time I receive it, if ever, who knows if there will be anything in there that survived. It was shipped on 9/17 so it has already been about week. It will be interesting to see if anything makes it.

On the shipping issue, I prefer USPS Priority. I can print the labels and postage at home and tracking is free. If you use your local post office, you have to pay additional for tracking. Saves a trip to the post office. I rarely have had a problem shipping with USPS in the last 2 years.

The important thing is to keep this RR going for everyone else and make sure you post when you receive the box and the tracking number once you ship it out. That keeps everyone informed and makes for a smoother RR.

Enjoy and have fun and I hope you find some new varieties to add to your collections.
    Chiqui

• susan_kc
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to receiving the box!

• Debra Andruska
    10 years ago

So glad it's going again. Almost wish we were doing another! ;)
    It's fun going through the box- and adding/trading!

Deb

• bttrflii
    10 years ago

Hello group, I have a favor to ask...

Someone prior to me has Senk's Fruit Fly, and I would greatly, greatly appreciate being able to get some more leaves from you. The two I found in the RR box were quite dehydrated and I was not able to save them. :'( Fruit Fly is one of the AVs I have wanted the most since I started potting AVs several months ago, so their death was a little painful to watch. I even went through denial: "Well maybe dark green just means they're more hydrated"...

I am more than willing to compensate shipping, material, and time costs to be able to try again. I was recently informed that Fruit Fly is not the easiest to leaf-propagate, but I would very much like to give it another go as I have not been able to find any plantlets or grown plants of it available anywhere.

Thanks in advance, fellow Fruit-Fly fan. :)

PS -- No, Deb doesn't have one any longer. She unfortunately lost hers.

• shabbu
    10 years ago

Thanks Chiqui for staring a new box. About the shipping method, I prefer USPS Priority mail. I have been shipping plants with them for the past 4 years. I have never had mis-shipped or lost packages. I guess our package was just a little unlucky.

In my experience they are always on time, much quicker then UPS/FedEx and cheaper. It only costs $6-8 max to ship a 2lb box from east to west coast.

I also like the convenience that I can print shipping labels at home, pay for the label from home and the USPS mail-lady/mailman will also pick up the package for free from my front door and also tracking is free too!

You can also order priority mail boxes online and they will be shipped right to your door for free ! I just realized I sound like a spokesperson for the USPS :)

Minal

• bttrflii
    10 years ago

it's nice to see that not everyone's post office is as poor as ours. our leaf box was only one pound but cost me over $10 to ship only halfway across the US versus your $6-8 for two pounds all the way across. my inbound packages quite simply never arrive on time and are always a day later than tracking says they will be. this could possibly be a simple matter of population density, as ours here is not as high as you typically find on the coasts.

• chiquib313
    10 years ago

The missing box finally arrived today. Most of the leaves were mushy but some did manage to survive. The minis suffered the most and only about 8 standards survived. The survivors are soaking in sugar water to liven them up a bit before they get potted up.
    Although the box used was a Priority Mail box it did not have the sticker with the tracking number. Maybe it was lost or removed when it was reshipped by the IRS but not really sure what happened with this shipment.
    Hopefully the new box should get to Susan today and we can keep the RR going with no further problems.

• susan_kc
    10 years ago

Box arrived!! Lots of wonderful varieties--thanks Chiqui!! I am sorting through them tonight and plan to ship tomorrow.

• susan_kc
    10 years ago

Priority shipping says it will not arrive until Monday if I ship tomorrow...is this normal? I realize we are heading into a weekend, but still...seems like a long time to me.

• Louise84
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That sounds about right. I wouldn't be surprised if it actually arrives Saturday though. Sometimes it is a little quicker. I think that happened a lot with the last one, all the east coast packages came one day early... Hope that happens again ;)

Louise

• susan_kc
    10 years ago

The box is on its way to Louise! Tracking number is 9114901075742693476678.

There were a couple mushy leaves. We lost RebelâÂÂs Splatter Kake completely, but I have this plant so I replaced with my leaves and changed the date on the bag. Kazumi lost one leaf to mush and the other almost the entire stem. I was able to save the leaf itself and about ü inch of stem, so we will see if it makes it. There were a couple others just starting to go mushy, so I kept those, trimmed them up and put them down.

Here is the list of what I kept:

AllanâÂÂs Fallen Angel
    Beauty Goddess
    Buckeye Edged Night
    Buckeye Fiesta
    Hearts Aglow
    GrangerâÂÂs Peach Frost
    Louisiana Lullaby
    Emerald Pink
    MorganâÂÂs Miss Manners
    Perhaps Love
    Kazumi
    Lucien Croteau
    Georgia Berries
    Spring Cardinal

Added some new leaves, included some plantlets and put in some suckers and a rooted leaf. I also added a couple extra varieties, so there should be 27 total now.

Thanks again for starting the new box, Chiqui!

• Louise84
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just wanted to confirm that the box arrived today - too late for me to try to get it back out plus we had a yard sale today so I haven't even opened it! Will go through tomorrow and repack. Will be mailed Monday. Donna, are you ready for it Tuesday or Wednesday?

Louise

• Louise84
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We lost a few varieties - Rob's Gray Ghost, Foxwood Trail, Lik-Vel'mozha (Nobleman) and Rebel's Splatter Kake (this one must not travel well!). A couple of others were going soft but most looked great!

I kept:

Alamo Frills (This was a big plantlet so I left a few of its leaves in the box)
    Aly's Key Lime Pie
    Berry Splash
    Cool Mint
    Flashpoint
    Frozen in Time
    Hearts Aglow
    Mac's Pure Poetry
    Ness Fantasy Gold
    Ode to Beauty
    Optimara Chico
    Optimara Romance
    Rob's Boondoggle
    Rob's Slap Happy

There are over 30 in the box now and it is heading out to Donna today. The tracking number is: 9405511899560416277874.

• dkgresh
    10 years ago

Tomorrow, Oct.2nd, the box is suppose to show up. I am looking forward to the plantlets. The leaves are doing great from the spring. They are in vermiculite in salad containers. I will ship the box out quickly. I have not been feeling great lately. My husband will help me!

• Louise84
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hope the violets help make you feel better and that you find some great new ones!

Louise

• dkgresh
    10 years ago

Hi:

I kept a Bunnyhop and a Sequins 'n' Ribbons.

I added
    Rob's WIlla Wong
    Rob's Humpty Do
    Champagne Pink
    Optimara Millennium
    Optimara Evergrace

Package went out this afternoon.
    USPS Tracking 9405 5036 9930 0078 7576 21

• suecirish
    10 years ago

Hi everybody!
    I got the box yesterday. Went through it last night and sent it back on its way this morning. There was only one mushy leaf, and the rest looked fine.
    Tracking # 9114901159818337575364

There are lots of leaves to choose from and such a wide variety! I took:
    Ramblin' Amethyst
    Rainbow's Weeping Clown
    Bob Serbin
    Optimara Millenia
    Nancy's Irish Rose
    Rhapsodie Stephanie

Thanks so much, Louise, for coordinating the box this fall. I'll be looking forward to the spring round robin!

Now to get busy - I have to pot up these leaves and a few more I got the other day. Plus I have an order coming early next week from Violet Gallery. I hope I can find room to put all these leaves! :)

• shabbu
    10 years ago

Wow, that was fast, seems like I am next, thanks Sue!.
    The box already arrived at the post office sort facility this morning, should receive it by tomorrow (Monday) or Tuesday.

Really excited to see which new varieties are in there!

Minal.

• ima_digger
    10 years ago

WOW---this box sure is moving fast. That's great news. I'm next after Minal, and can't wait to see what awaits me. It is so exciting to be expecting. LOL. So far there have been some great violets in the box.
    Eileen

• shabbu
    10 years ago

Hello,

The box arrived today, so many varieties!! Lots of them standards, was really difficult to pick :). None of them were lost, which is great.

Anyway, I picked:

Sequins n ribbons
    Grandmas Love
    Macs Carnival Clown
    Bunny Hop
    Buckeye Cranberry Sparkler
    Happy Harold
    Optimara modesty
    Yesterdays evidence
    Optimara chico

They were replaced with:
    Ancient Lace
    Jolly Eyes
    Morgans Lady Chatterjee
    Mystic Green
    Ness Angel Eyes
    Marching Band
    Fiery Sunset
    Macs Flamboyant Flame
    Lyons Fireworks
    Jolly Disco
    Ness Dynomite
    Hearts Aglow
    Suncoast Wild Mustang
    Tomorrows Pink Ice

There are over 30 varieties. The box will be shipped out tomorrow to Eileen, the USPS tracking# is 9405509699937966792321.

Minal.

• ima_digger
    10 years ago

Box came late today. A few leaves were gonners. Spent the evening re-filling the box and getting it ready to ship tomorrow.
    Will post when I get back from PO.
    There were some great leaves in the box. Decisions, decisions, decisions. Oh well. There's always the Spring RR.
    Chiqui get your pots ready. I also sent you Streptocarpella cuttings, and a Primulina. They are in the Gesnerniad family.
    If you haven't any yet, it may become another obsession. I also tried to untangle some Epicia, but they were so mixed in together, that it's a two or three man job. Have to get my daughter to help me untangle them. LOL. Maybe next time I'll have a chance to send the off.
    Eileen

• chiquib313
    10 years ago

Thanks Eileen. Looking forward to seeing all the goodies in the box. Love all the other gessies too so happy to be getting some of those.

• chiquib313
    10 years ago

The box finally made it to its final stop. Alamo Frills, Cherry Cola and one baggie of Cirelda did not make it. Some of the others are questionable but might come through. I will keep them in water overnight to give them a chance to recuperate until I begin my potting marathon tomorrow.
    This is what was in the box:
    Ancient Lace
    Apache Redcoats
    Blue Laurette (plant)
    Blue Twinkle (plant)
    B'Man's Irish Red
    Cirelda
    Emerald Pink (Plant)
    Fiery Sunset
    Hearts Aglow
    Jolly Disco
    Jolly Eyes
    Mac;s Just Jeff
    Mac's Flamboyant Flame
    Marching Band
    Ma's Melody Girl
    Morgan's Lady Chatterjee
    Mystic Green
    Ness Dynomite
    Opt. Dali
    Pink Feathers
    Primulina Beige cutting
    Rob's Cool Fruit
    Rob's Ice Maiden
    Rob's Inner Orbit
    Rob's Pewter Bells
    Rob's Smarty Pants
    Streptocarpella Blueberries & Cream cuttings
    Suncoast Wild Mustang
    Tomorrow's Pink Ice
    Thanks Eileen for all the great starts and the other gessies.
    Thanks everyone for taking part in this RR. It had a small glitch with the missing box but everything turned out ok in the end. Hope everyone else enjoyed it as much as I did.

• suecirish
    10 years ago

Lots of thanks to Louise and Chiqui for taking care of this RR so well. I know how it is, since I did the one in the spring. Not so much the work involved, but you do worry about that box and its precious contents throughout its entire journey until it arrives back home safe and sound. You both did a great job!

So now all the leaves have been potted up. All my RRs are done for the fall season. Looking forward to the Spring and more swapping!

Sue

• Louise84
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What a great selection. Hope everyone's picks do well!

Thanks to Chiqui for putting together the replacement box!

Louise

• dkgresh
    10 years ago

What a great number of African Violets! It makes for a great RR. I hope to be here in the spring. I have breast cancer. :(

• Louise84
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Donna - you and your family will be in my thoughts! My husband's aunt has been fighting ovarian cancer so I know what a toll it can take on your body and spirits. I hope your treatment is quick and effective!

Take care,

Louise

• dkgresh
    10 years ago

From Donna's Husband:

I want to thank you all for this round robin. It gave Donna great joy. Unfortunately, Donna lost her battle with cancer on December 10.

Thank you again, this RR was truly a bright spot for Donna.

Merry Christmas to you all

Brian

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors