Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wanted: fall round robin..

Posted by debbya z4IL (da1763@aol.com) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 14:49

It would be neat if we could do a few Fall round robin's...
I'll start a box, if anyone else wants to, feel free to post a new thread. It's much easier to keep track of each box with a NEW thread.

So, for FALL 2014 box 1...

25 varieties, priority mail with delivery confirmation number posted- to track box at all times. Post when box arrives, and goes back out with confirmation number.

25 varieties MUST be named, labeled clearly. AND the box must have 25 varieties at all times! So, you MUST be willing to take/replace- and be fair to other traders, don't sent anything less than 25! If a few die, you must be able to replace them!

I would love to send this out at the end of AUGUST! So, it travels through Sept. And another box can be started to go through October. Or as many boxes as possible if we can find other hosts to participate, and start a box.

It's going to be a mixed box- mini's, semi's, standards. And a few 'other' gessie surprises, primulina leaves, etc. Cuttings from 'other' gessies. I would go into great detail, I want it to be a surprise as usual! :) Everything will be named.

Who's in... POST here for box #1!
And feel free to start any other boxes- post a new thread. The more the better. I want to build up my stock too- it's going to be a long winter, and I want to have some new varieties to play with! Remember, your only COST is postage. Priority postage- this is the best way to trade. And find some new things to grow.

MIXED box.... 25 items....
Let's get this going... I might even put my name in the middle- so I can refresh the box, and get more varieties. I'm really board with my collection! LOL! ;)

Hosted by- Deb..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wanted: fall round robin..

Send your info to- Debandruska@gmail.com

I'm using this address to keep track of all our RR's. Otherwise, it's too confusing to search through more than one email. Which I have.. LOL!

And please feel free to start a new post/new box swap if you want to start one! Do plantlets- semi's/mini's, or whatever- mixed boxes are fine too! Include me! :)

Deb

o

Hey - count me in!! I'll send you my info.

Vikki

o

Is it just the 2 of us so far?

o

I'm also in on Box #1. Sending you my info!
Eileen

o

Ok, so far we have
Vikki
Eileen
Deb

Any one else interested?

o

Count me in for the Fall RR please.

o

I would love to join for the Fall RR!

o

would like to join. Do you need my info or do you still have it ?

o

Vikki
Eileen
Chiqui
Brunilda
Parr

I need addresses- sorry.. I only have Eileen's. She sent it to the Debandruska@gmail.com

I purchased a new HP chromebook, and am using this from now on for our swaps. It's easier for all info to be in one place. So, could everyone except Eileen send me your address. Thanks! :)
Label it as "Fall Swap 2014"

I'm really looking forward to swapping!

Deb

o

Anyone interested in starting a box #2? For fall? If so- start to post the thread with any 'possible' date to start. It would be so much fun to do a plantlet box! Anyone have enough to share? If so, please include me! ;) It doesn't have to be a total plantlet box, leaves can be mixed in!

Deb

o

Both sound good to me, but I don't know if I would have enough to actually start the round. The first RR last spring had a mix of plantlets and leaves when I got it and I sent it back out the same way.

o

Vikki,
Just trying to get some interest going in trading violets! ;) A while back- we always had so much interest, now it seems as though it's just our little group of friends (violet diehards LOL!) doing all the trading. I wish we could get more new people to join.

I'll do the best mix up possible with the swap box! I'll try to rearrange the lineup the best that I can so we don't receive the same stuff/selection as the last two times! I wanted to start this soon. Other Fall swaps are starting around the 25th/August. That would of been perfect for me too- but it depends on weather, and if Everyone is comfortable with taking a risk on shipping. I'll line a big priority box with the 'foil' insulation again like I did previously, everything should be fine. We do have a limited amount of time before it turns chilly! Chicago previously used to get frost all the time in September! Not any more- so that's good on my end! I can usually trade until late October. After that- it's risky! Snow in November usually!

Any more interest?

So far we have- (if you have stars after your name I have your address)
Eileen***
Vikki***
Chiqui
Brunilda
Parr
Deb

o

I do know of two people who are interested in the rr but they aren't currently part of gw. I did give them the link and told them to sign up. We'll see if they do. Susan McClure said she'll pass on round one but will probably be interested in round two.

o

I would like to join the fall round robin.
Cork

o

Deb,
Sent you my address.
Brunilda

o

I would love to participate but all i have is a TON of plant lets, all miniatures. I'm just starting out so everything is small. No full grown leaves yet. If that is okay to put in the box count me in! Also, i'm traveling for work from 9/10-9/22 so don't know if it is possible to ensure i get the box at a time other than that. Sorry i have so many exceptions…. that is why i held back.

o

Eileen**
Vikki**
Chiqui
Brunilda**
Parr/Patricia**
Kaity**

Everyone's info except Chiqui's...

Cork,
I don't have any info for you. Send me an email, and tell me a little bit about your collection. ;) Are you a Friend of Vikki's?

Be back to update the swap daily...

Deb

o

None of the people I know have signed up yet. :(

o

Count me in too, hope its not too late. I will send my address. Can't believe its fall already!

Minal.

o

OK so it seems like there are two boxes, one for leaves and other for plant let's. Count me in for both.

Minal

o

Hi Minal! :) it's not too late to join! I'll add you- and update the list tomorrow.
Pat's going hold off this time- so I need to remove her name. She's interested in a standard only box.

Deb

o

Deb
Did you get my e-mail?? If not how do I contact you?
Cork

o

Hi Cork,
I checked both of my emails- and no nothing from you, sorry. Debandruska@gmail.com is working for everyone else.

Minal's info came in... And I'm talking with Kaity through it? So, try again, please.

Eileen**
Vikki**
Chiqui
Brunilda**
Minal**
Kaity**
Deb**

Everyone's info except Chiqui's.
Pat dropped out, She was interested in a Standards only box. Hopefully, we can do one of those next.

Minal, so far we only have one box going. Stop starting rumors, LOL!!!!!
Kaity was going add plantlets- to the box. I wish we had more people to join so we could do 2 boxes. I thought for sure this morning that I would of seen posts that Everyone wanted to do the two boxes! ;)

I want to do a few swaps this Fall. I really hope this works out- boxes travel quickly! Keep checking the forum for more info! It's in the 90's this week. We had such a mild summer- I could of probably traded all summer. We only hit the low 80's most of the time, and sometimes low 70's! I regret not trading- I would hesitate when it turned 80 only because I know how hot we usually get! It just didn't happen until now!

Maybe next week- for the next 5 days, heat and storms.. let's see if it get's better in 5 days.

Deb

o

I want to do 2 boxes.

o

Count me in too, please. I'll send you my info. Thanks

Sue

o

Eileen**
Vikki**
Chiqui
Brunilda**
Minal**
Kaity**
Deb**
Sue K.**

Welcome to the swap Sue! If a few more join in, yes we will do 2 boxes. I'll start them. But, just letting you know they will both be boxes filled with NAMED MIXED gessies. What I mean by that- is 25 different hybrids (named) of Mini's, semi's, standards, Kohleria cuttings, streptocarpella cuttings, Primulina leaves- episcia cuttings, whatever really fits in the box. So be prepared to try some new things! I'm going to mix up the names as best as possible, and might even throw my name in the middle, so I get the box back twice. I really am so tired of my collection. I'm trying to get some new stuff before winter. I wanted to place a few orders (from Rob's, Travis) but will wait until I see what's in the box! I want more variety! More variegated ones too!

So, anyone else interested? The more- the better! :)
NAMED only---

Deb

o

Hi Deb:
Just resent my info again. Let me know that you received it.
Chiqui

o

Deb, Here is a copy of my e-mail.
Debandruska@gmail.com

Aug 22 at 6:37 PM

Hi Deb,

I hope this works this time.

I am retired and grow AV's for a hobby, which is taking over my basement.
I have been able to over 100 using facebook. Check it out.

I think a good estimate would be about 500 plants of 100 different.

I don't know Vickie??

My facebook name is:

George Maksim

I use Cork my nick name forever.

I am a member of AVSA.

What else??

I never did a round robin but would like to try.

It looks like a lot of perple want to join. May I suggest
you group members by states which are close together.
Makes for better mail service and the life of our plants.

Thanks

Cork
George Maksim

elgeomaksim@yahoo,com

o

Oops sorry about the 2 box confusion :) , though wouldn't it be nice to have 2 boxes ;)....hope we can get more people to sign up.

Minal.

o

Ok, I just got some very nice plants from George. I just didn't recognize the name Cork, sorry.

Vikki

o

Eileen**
Vikki**
Chiqui **
Brunilda**
Minal**
Kaity**
Deb**
Sue K.**
George (need address)

Thanks Chiqui received your info, sorry for any confusion. I sent you an email, I've been going through laptops (virus problems with windows always slamming down, and losing everything) so hopefully this HP chromebook with be able to keep up!

Minal,
We love you, it's ok if you start rumors! LOL!!

George, I need your address. :)
Welcome to the swap!

Deb

o

George Maksim
11046 Northwood Ave NE
Bolivar, OH 44612

o

Deb, have you heard from Sharron yet? I know she's really wanting to join.

Vikki

o

So what's the status on this RR?

o

I took a break from our RR- and enjoyed the Holiday weekend. Lots of cookouts, cleaning up! The house is quiet, and finally clean- and I'm ready to update the swap.

First of all- George, feel free to delete your address. I see it on the swap thread and wrote it down. ;)

Vikki,
Nothing from Sharron.

Swap participants-

Eileen**
Vikki**
Chiqui **
Brunilda**
Minal**
Kaity**
Deb**
Sue K.**
George**

9 so far... enough for the box. Or it will travel forever. Plus, I could continue to take names forever too and this could go on and on!

I would love to start the box Monday/September 8th- over the weekend temps are going to be 70* and 50's at night. Wonderful Chicago weather!
I'm getting the feeling that we are going to have an early fall. The leaves are changing and dropping already. I'm sure I can do trades until October, usually the end of Oct. So, I'm ready to start this- hopefully, temps are OK for everyone else. I know it's hot for the next few days over here (close to 90* everyday until the weekend cool off.)

Is everyone ready? I'll post a lineup- after I coordinate it later on tonight...
Remember, if anyone else wants to start another box, please feel free to post a new thread. I'll join!

Deb

o

Ok, I gave it some time for any 'extras' to join in, no one showed any interest, I checked both emails... this swaps CLOSED!

Only because it's hard to add someone to the lineup when Everyone else is patiently waiting. ;) And we need to know almost exactly when the box will arrive so we don't leave it outside, or in a mail box. Make plans to have the box delivered to the PO if your area is in a massive heat wave. Everything should be fine, other swaps are starting too, I'm in another one that started this weekend. I'm going to use our big priority box- lined with a foil type insulation. It traveled well last time, so it should do ok this time too. Please feel free to add extras- especially if you can spare them or need to make room, or are grooming. All your plants- cuttings- leaves will get a good home. Someone will appreciate them! Please be generous! I want this to go really well, and I want Everyone to have a really good selection of violets/gessies!

25 items to start- let's keep that number or MORE. I'll include a list- of who to send to next. Mail it priority. Please post- when the box goes out, when it arrives so we can keep track.

Sue K.
George/aka/CORK
Minal
Vikki
Brunhilda
Chiqui
Eileen
Kaity
Back home to Deb...

o

Oh boy!!!! I can hardly wait!!!!!

o

Sue, I guess I am second on the list. I can't wait.
Cork
George

o

I'm going to work on this box Monday night- this weekends too busy! We are having a village wide garage sale this weekend, and I'm trying so hard to get some stuff ready. I'm decluttering some kitchen cabinets! I can't believe how much stuff gets tucked away! I feel like a squirrel! Multiples of everything, stuff I forgot about! ;)

So, Monday night I'll prepare the box and mail it out first thing Tuesday morning. I'll post the DC# when it goes out. Our weather is gorgeous! Actually chilly! By the end of the week (Friday 48*) for a low! leaves are really dropping!

Sue,
The box should be there Thursday! Usually priority takes 2 days.

Deb

o

Deb: Just sent you an email.

This post was edited by Chiquib313 on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 18:34

o

Sue K.
George/aka/CORK
Minal
Vikki
Brunhilda
Chiqui
Eileen
Kaity
Back home to Deb...

Ok the box was mailed- it's a treasure chest of cuttings, leaves, plantlets- all mixed gessies as promised! Streptocarpus, streptocarpella, petrocosmea, episcias, violets, kolheria! Many varieties are very hard to find! The petrocosmea is a species 5!

Sue,
Have fun picking and choosing! :). I know I would love to get this box (if I didn't already have the stuff! Lol!) Lots of it was picked up from gessie shows!
And some of the plants were expensive!

Everyone- try to keep it really desirable! Replace plantlets, cuttings with plantlets or small plants. And feel free to add more leaves, varieties! Let's make this really worth the postage! I'll see how this goes- and maybe start another? I just ordered a bunch of violets, so will have plenty of leaves to share! ;)

Please post confirmation numbers- what you took (so we can all be jealous!)
And when the box arrives and is shipped out.

I want everyone really happy---- please be generous!

Thanks so much for swapping! You're all the best! ;)

Dc# 9114 9999 4423 8386 8316 36
Friday delivery! Sent by priority., 2 day lol!
Hmmm, why Friday!
Sometimes they show up a day sooner, watch the tracking!

Deb

o

I should add- feel free to add just violets, after all violets are what we collect! If they are the only thing you grow-
And you want yo to try 'other gessies' it's fine. Add plantlets in exchange for cuttings, violet leaves for the primulina leaves! I added variegated primulina, named leaves! And Ms. Beige, Tsu Ann baby primulina! Plus others I won't post the names to!

Just add what you can- and if it turns into an all violet swap- great! I'm sure I hooked others into growing/expanding collections!

Deb

o

It sounds fabulous, Deb!!! We're supposed to have snow Thursday, so Friday might be better anyway. I'll keep track though. Violets are all I have, but I have some pretty ones, I think.

Thank you for getting this going, and for sharing such an awesome assortment! I'm nearly drooling!!!

Sue

P.S. Cork, I'll try to leave something nice for you. :)

o

Sue,
I'm so glad you are OK with other gessies. I was a little worried I added too many "other than gessies" named varieties. :) I tried to make this really fun/different, and give others a chance to grow different things other than violets. Violets are what's needed to this box, so thanks for adding leaves, plantlets, whatever you add!

I love growing different things- that's what get's me in trouble. Any cutting goes straight in soil, bagged by a baggie or placed under one of those domed plastic containers. Cuttings, plantlets love extra humidity to do well for the first few weeks. Nothing I sent is hard to grow. That's what's so neat about some of the stuff. A primulina leaf goes directly in soil just like a violet, so does an episcia. Episcia takes longer- but will produce by leaves. I've done them- in a salad type container... and just waited, eventually babies appear by the mother leaf, just like a violet. With the Kohleria, they do cuttings really well- again just place in soil, cover with a baggie for the first few weeks until rooted. Or do the community tray- black bottom, with a clear cover for a few weeks (from any local home depot/menards $2 for both.) Kohleria eventually make corms- little bulbs in the soil. You then either share cuttings, or corms.

Snow- yikes! I I thought 40's were bad in my area! Good thing we started the swap! Who knows what kind of Fall we are all in for! Seems to me- to be a really chilly Fall!

Deb

o

Received this wonderful box of goodies today! It was snowing, but the lady brought the box to the door...& left it outside & didn't knock. No damage though, to the box or contents.
Deb, I sent you an email about a few of these leaves. I'll post tomorrow, & let you know what I'm keeping.
Sue

o

Snow! And you were afraid of sending it when the temps were too warm . . . . :)

o

OK...I kept 15 bags, & replaced them with 14 avs. & 1 Gessie. 2 Streptocarpellas; Blue Angel & Concord Blue, 3 Streptocarpus; Blue Mars, Cat Nap, & Isis. 1 Petrocosmea Sp5, 2 Kohlerias; Ruby & Queen Victoria, 1 Episcia, Karlyn, & 6 avs.; Blue Mist Russian, Mellow Mist, Mac's Rapturous Rhapsody, Orchid Magic, Little Ebony, Cajun's Swamp Trail

George, the box is headed your way! Tracking info 9114 9999 4423 8529 4839 99

Thank you so much, Deb! I hope everyone has as great a selection as I did!

Sue

o

Hello all! I have a request to make. I just found out that I have to have knee surgery on the 22nd. Would it be possible to switch with either Minal, so that I can get the box before surgery, or with either Brunhilda or Chiqui so that I can have a chance for my knee to heal enough to get around. Right now it's looking like the box will head my way within a day or two of the surgery. I know this throws a monkey wrench into the mix ~ sorry . . .

Vikki

o

Forgot to say I put in multiples of the violets that I had more of. Please don't look down your nose at the MI plants I put in. They are some of the healthiest, happiest violets I have.

Sue

o

Sue,
I didn't expect the box to arrive until Friday! They had Friday listed on the receipt. ;) So, I didn't check the thread, or emails until today. I'm glad it arrived early! I have first class- but need to clean out my computer desk to find it! It's here somewhere! When my Mom died, I accumulated so many papers- my desk is a mess! Please post the violets here that your looking for the descriptions of, and hopefully someone will post the official descriptions. I'm just not sure if I can clean out my desk fast enough (this week is the village wide garage sale) and I'm soooo busy!

Little ebony is so cute and growing so tiny! I would love an official description of it too! ;) Cajun's swap trail is one of Belinda's "Cajun" babies! I love that one- just for the goofy name!
Your going to LOVE the Kohleria! Mine are so hearty! Place cuttings in soil/bag or dome them and that's it, tubers will grow eventually by the soil line (in the soil) they are gorgeous when in bloom! I should add the bag or dome only stays on until you see firmness/evidence of roots. I'm glad your trying other gessies! At shows, some were $20 a plant/more, $6 for a cutting!

Vikki,
Please email George- and have him send YOU the box, then you send it to Minal. I already sent the 'order' list- but if George just ignores it and sends the box to you, then it will work out! Please talk with him! Because he's the one that's going to make out the label. ;) I wish I would of known earlier- I would of changed order of the list. Knee surgery, My Husband had it- your not going to want anything to do with violets for a few weeks!

Yay- our swap started- even with it snowing, LOL! Let's keep this going quickly!

So much fun reading what's chosen from the box!

Deb

o

Ok, I'll contact George. Yup, I wish I had known about it earlier too. Surgery really wasn't part of my plan right now but I've got to get this knee fixed ~ meniscus tear. :(

o

Does anyone have descriptions for "Little Ebony", Cajun's Swamp Trail, or Orchid Magic?

Thanks for all the how-to advice, Deb.

Sue

o

Little Ebony - deep, royal blue, semidouble pansies. Black-green, semiminiature foliage, (user's database). But I don't know about the other two.

o

Thanks, Vikki. Sorry to hear about your knee. Hope things go well. Keep us posted okay?

The description for Little Ebony really pleased my daughter, who seems to be as seriously addicted as I am.

Sue

o

I have my violets growing in a cooler- basement with t8 lights. The leaves seem to remain smaller, grow slowly. I'm in the process of moving violets to their own bedroom! I'm going to have a violet room- upstairs, and keep the basement grow area too for other gessies that love cooler temps!
That's why I'm looking to expand my violet collection. I'm going to have a few new shelving units to fill! :). Plus I picked up two aero garden units for babies/plantlets.

I called it- cajun's swap trail- you can tell what I'm thinking about! It's swamp! Not swap! Lol!

o

Orchid Magic description from FC2:
"Semi-double purple orchid/wide white edge. Dark olive green, plain". J. Eyerdom.
Cajun's Swamp Trail is not listed on FC2 yet.

o

Thank you!
Sue

o

I just mailed the box to Minal. Sorry I do not see Vikki post until this morning.
I put a lot of AV leaves into the box. Maybe 8 or 10 of the same. You can take out a couple and forward the rest.
Thanks for a lot of fun. Now I have to put down my selections.

New tracking number is: 9114 9011 2308 6895 1366 16

George M

o

Ok, so who can I switch with later down on the list? With this unexpected knee surgery coming up this Monday, there's no way I'll be able to gather up, package and ship let alone pot up leaves next week - which is when the package would be coming from Minal. Maybe between Chiqui and Eileen OR Eileen and Kathy?

Vikki

This post was edited by vivey on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 10:47

o

I need some help. I can't find the following two, can you give a discription.

Cora
O. Anika

Good luck Vikki, best of health
How do I change my profile?
Thanks
George

o

Pictures of them are on WWW.my violet.com/varieties.

To change your profile, scroll to the bottom of any page and click on "member pages", & the 2nd link should take you where you need to go.

Please tell us what else you took from the box, as that's part of the fun! Thanks.

Sue

o

George:
Descriptions from FC2

Rhapsodie Cora: "Single-semidouble white frilled/dark purple patches. Medium green, pointed, glossy, hairy, scalloped". (Holtkamp).

I don't think Rhapsodie Anika is listed in FC2. It is also from Optimara/Holtkamp. It is a frilled bicolor red & white bloom with medium green leaves.

o

Instead of mixing things up, Minal, just go ahead and send the box on to me. I'll figure out some way of getting it done. I can always teach my husband a thing or 2 about snipping leaves and boxing things up. This way it won't confuse things. It'll also give me something to look forward to while I'm just sitting around.

Vikki

o

Thanks George!, I will keep an eye out for the package...looks like I'll get it on Thursday. So I will go ahead and skip Vikki and send the package to Brunhilda.

Best of luck with the knee surgery Vikki and speedy recovery!!! Our wishes are with you. Hopefully someone further down the list can ship you the leaves.

Minal

o

Double post. Not sure why. Sorry.

This post was edited by SueOK on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 15:04

o

ok, no problem, will go ahead and ship to you Vikki.

Minal

o

Thanx Minal. It was just getting too complicated trying to change my place in the mix. My doctor told me today that I should be able to walk and get around after surgery. We'll see..... I hope he's right.

Vikki

o

Hi Everyone,
These are the plant starts and leaves I kept.
Optimara EverJoy
Optimara EverPraise
Optimara Michigan
Optimara Millennia
Optimara Modesty
Optimara NorthCarolina
Scandal
Starry Night Blue
O. Anika ??
Rhapsodi Cora

All are put down and are under the lights.

Thanks George

o

Thanks, George. The O. stands for Optimara. Here's my Anika this summer. Glad you had fun picking things out!

Sue

o

Some really nice things coming in and out of the box! :) Good to see the RR's doing well! It's fun reading what selections are kept!

I have a sinus cold thing.. Yuck! I feel horrible! I'm usually really healthy- but my Son had this cruddy thing first and shared it! I'm going to bed really early again today, so hopefully I'm myself by tomorrow! I hate feeling off, sick.

So glad to see this moving! Come on Everyone pack this little box-make it worth the postage! So, far we are doing GREAT!

Deb

o

Here are my round robin leaves and plants.
Cork

o

Got the box today, lovely selection!!. George, thank you so much for the tremendous number of leaves. I am not a huge standard collector, so just kept a few of those. The leaves I kept are:

Optimara Little Crystal
Ramblin Dot
Alsobia
Hawaiian pearl
Mermaid
Ever Joy
Optimara Evelyn
Michelle
Romance
Optimara Michigan
Buckeye Legal Tender
Looking Glass
Rebels Beck

There are a total of around 30 leaves and 4 plantlets.

The box will be shipped out tomorrow to Vikki. The tracking # is

9405 5096 9993 9244 1591 09

thanks Deb for a great fall round robin,

Minal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here