Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbya_gw

WANTED: Fall Round Robin ~African Violet~

Debra Andruska
11 years ago

Anyone interested in a African Violet Fall Round Robin? ;)

This is a fantastic way to trade for PRIORITY postage/delivery confirmation. I'll start the box off with 25 varieties- all clearly labeled, named. You must replace what you take, feel free to add more than you took-if you need to clear out some space on your growing shelves! Please be generous... I want EVERYONE to be happy with this round robin! Let's make this one the best one we had so far.

Keep the box for a day or two- and send it on as fast as you can to keep everything fresh.

I love starting this- and hopefully, we get enough interest.

Our temps are so much better (50's at night this week) hopefully the cooler weather stays, we had such a long hot summer. I would love to start this in two weeks- end of August. Does that work for you? Let me know...

Also, you must post when the box arrives, and goes back out. Communication is so important- so the next person knows when the package will arrive.

Deb

Comments (104)

• suecirish
    11 years ago

Deb, Great choices! I'm envious of those species - hope some make it to me. I agree, the anticipation is the most fun and the hardest to stand! I'm next after Hillary, so my wait won't be much longer, especially if she gets it tomorrow!

We are getting the last of the remnants of Isaac here in southern New England yesterday and today. Steamy, humid weather - torrential downpours today, with some flash flooding, thunder and lightning. Otherwise, we are starting to get some fall-like weather, with cooler nights and warm, but not as hot, days. Perfect weather for shipping AVs!

• ima_digger
    11 years ago

Sue, I'm glad your weather is changing. I wish ours was. It's still in the 90s during the day. My air conditioner just doesn't want to stop. We had a mess here for the last few weeks. My kitchen tiles decided to pop up from the cement. The tile men finally finished chopping out all the old cement and installing new tile. Unfortunately the new tile is just a bit darker than the original. The worst part being is the tile was not the same size. The name of tile, mfg. and color are all the same, but the tile is a different lot from what it was 5 years ago. Also it seems it was a tad smaller than the original. Food sizes and prices are changing and now so is tile. :(. At least it's finished and we can walk without tripping.
    I'm after you in the RR and I can use the time to play in the plants again. Happy violet collecting.
    Eileen

• suecirish
    11 years ago

Oh goodness, Eileen, what a mess! I could understand the color being off for a different lot, but the size? That is just weird!

Deb, is your water heater flood clean-up all complete? you ladies have certainly had a bad time of it. ((Knock wood)) Hope nothing else goes wrong and we can all enjoy our new violets!

• foospider
    11 years ago

I sent the box off today. Delivery Confrmation 0312 0090 0000 8534 3912. I took some leaves out of the box that were mushy and I kept the following:
    Wendy's Chi Latte
    Rainy Day Lovin'
    Sky Diver
    Streptocarpella Concord Blue
    Neil's crown Royal Strep
    Optimara Modesty
    Optimara Romance
    Neil's Blue Heaven Strep
    Foxwood Trail
    King's Trail
    Dirty Face
    Senk's Fantasy Wasp
    Wizard's Danania
    Enchanting Waterfall
    Hope Sue likes what I put in the box. I only had african violets and leaves to put in the box. My strep babies were too small.

• suecirish
    11 years ago

Hillary, not to worry! I only do African Violets, not streps, so that's perfect for me. You got some fantastic choices! Every time I see somebody's list I'm envious of at least one or two, but I'm always so excited and delighted with what I get to choose. So, I'm guessing that the box will arrive here on Monday!

• foospider
    11 years ago

Supoosedly it will arrive saturday. I hope you like what I put in the box!

• suecirish
    11 years ago

WhooHoo! The box is here! Only a two day trip half way across the country. I've only had a chance to do a quick scan through, but, WOW! there are lots of leaves in there. Some of the varieties have many many leaves in the bags. And there are a few plantlets and suckers too. So much to choose from, I'm glad I have an extra day to go through.

At a quick run through, it looks like there are three bags with leaves that are mush - Okie Easter Bunny, Silverglade Secrets and S. rupicola. There were two bags with S. rupicola, and one looks ok, the other is not.

That's it for now. I'll definitely have fun going through everything, and I'll have it ready to go out first thing Monday morning.

• GermanMajor1980
    11 years ago

It sounds like Christmas at your house with the choices you've got. I'm excited to see the box on it's return. It sounds like everyone has had a lot of great choices as the box has gotten to them.

• shabbu
    11 years ago

oh no, I missed the Fall round robin. I kept checking the general AV forum and thought the info will be posted there. Is there going to be a second round? or is this is it?

Minal

• foospider
    11 years ago

Sue I hope you got some that you liked!

• suecirish
    11 years ago

Just got back form the PO. Eileen, the box is on its way to you! DC# 0312 0090 0000 3690 8832

That box is just packed soooo full! I could barely get the baggies in that I wanted to contribute. But I managed to get quite a few in there too. There is so much to choose from for our last violeteers, and Darike will have plenty plenty to rebuild her collection. I soaked some of the leaves that were looking a little limp; some may not make the rest of the journey.

Thanks Hillary and Deb, Teri and Darike for adding such wonderful things to the box.

So, here is what I chose. I felt like a kid in a candy store! I took some that looked really questionable, and will try to revive them. But if they don't make it, I still have plenty of others.

Mac's Scorching Sun
    Rob's Heat Wave
    Jolly Orchid
    Dean's Bunny Blue
    S. rupicola
    Biscayne Trail
    Motley Crew
    Morgan's Winter Wine
    Shirl's Hawaiian Lei
    Ami Peanut
    Vampire's Kiss
    Touch of Irish
    Big Josh

The last two I thought were really interesting, and wasn't able to find much information when I googled them. Whoever put them in the box, can you send me a message? I have a couple questions.

Thanks everybody for a fun and exciting RR. now that I know what's in there, I'll be interested to see what those that follow will take!

Sue

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, this really traveled fast! Eileen's next.. Can't wait to hear what Eileen selects! ;)

Deb

• GermanMajor1980
    11 years ago

Wow it's moving very quickly from place to place. I better start getting my soil and cups ready. I can't wait to hear what Eileen chooses. I want a starting from Vampire's Kiss . Next round robin I am printing the labels from First Class to help everyone in choosing. I don't know why I didn't do it this time, I guess I was in a hurry to get the box going ha-ha.

• Julia93591
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I'm Julia in SC. I've had such fun reading this thread! I grew AV minis years ago. Life threw me a curve ball and I was not able to keep them up. I've recently begun again. I placed an order for 11 plants, from Rob and LL. I've got a mixed av leaf pkg on the way and a mixed lot of streps. Can't wait until I have enough to join in the round robin! Please keep posting, I'm thoroughly enjoying reading. When my leaves start producing plantlet I'd love to trade with someone or more! Thanks!

• Julia93591
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I'm Julia in SC. I've had such fun reading this thread! I grew AV minis years ago. Life threw me a curve ball and I was not able to keep them up. I've recently begun again. I placed an order for 11 plants, from Rob and LL. I've got a mixed av leaf pkg on the way and a mixed lot of streps. Can't wait until I have enough to join in the round robin! Please keep posting, I'm thoroughly enjoying reading. When my leaves start producing plantlet I'd love to trade with someone or more! Thanks!

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Julia,
    African violets are so addicting.. you can't have just one. And a round robin is a perfect way for just postage to trade. Plus, half the excitement is not knowing what's in the box! Vintage? Rare? New Cajun that everyone's talking about? LOL..
    We might do a round two if everyone's interested. Let's see how this one turns out. We still have plenty of time. Any comments? Suggestions? Or should we just wait and see?

Deb

• suecirish
    11 years ago

I think a second round could be ok, as long as we mix up the order so everybody gets a different set to choose from. Though just where I'm going to put all these potted up leaves and plantlets is another question entirely. Hmmmm...

• suecirish
    11 years ago

Oh, and I meant to say - Hi, Julia! Glad you're enjoying the posts. We'll be happy to welcome you to our RRs when you and your plants are ready!

• parr
    11 years ago

Hi Julia Welcome- I"d go for another round -And Sue We always find more room for violets thats just how it is .The weather here has been just great the last 2wks wish it could be like this all year round.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just checked the weather, I'm not so sure about a second round. It's going to be in the 40's by Thursday. That's chilly for shipping. Wonder if we are going to have an early fall? Is the night temps dropping in your area? Let's check and see, and then decide... Leaves don't do well and turn clear if it's too cold. At least the heat dries them out, and we can revive them with a sugar water soak, cold damage destroys cells.

Deb

• GermanMajor1980
    11 years ago

First off I want to say "Hi Julia"

Sorry I haven't posted lately. I have been dealing with a ballast on the plant light that lost it's ground wire, I think. It was letting me have little tiny shocks as I touched the aluminum of the cart. I am hoping, fingers crossed that was it. I just love electricity when it's not zapping me.

Deb, I agree. I am not sure about a second round unless it was very soon. We're hitting high 30s and low 40s at night up here. I love heat packs, but finding them is always fun and I don't know if I'd have enough for this RR and the other ones. I also think I need to wait for some of my things to get a bit bigger and that way I will have more to share. I really enjoyed packing this box as I had lots of extra streps and everything needed a good grooming. I would like to be able to put lots of the newer variegated ones in for spring. I have so many leaves down right now that I know I will have so many extras to share. I will be up for a spring RR and I still can't wait for the box to get here. I love the anticipation of not knowing what's coming this way.

It sounds like this box has just flown around the group. This is my first RR and I am so glad I decided to do it. Thankfully Deb has allowed me to e-mail and ask about a thousand questions so I started the box correctly. I have also enjoyed seeing everyone get some great plants to add to their collections. It's a little joy in a flat rate postal box.

• ima_digger
    11 years ago

Box came today. It is kinda crushed, but everything in box looks OK. Some leaves were very mushy so I tossed them. It's still very hot here, in the low 90s. Box is filled and ready to go. I'm having problems mailing to Patricia. I print my labels at home and I keep getting message that address is not acceptable, so I'll have to make a trip to post office tomorrow. I have family visiting from Atlana, so when I get a chance I'll post the conf. # and also what I took.

• parr
    11 years ago

Pat Reichard E11369 county highway I as in Ice -its not a number one (1) Sorry my address was so messed up. I"m glad the ninties are gone from up here,

• ima_digger
    11 years ago

Box went out this morning # 0311 3260 0000 7909 2801
    Patricia, you may w ant to contact PO because I mailled box to your address but as county hwy 1 (one). I didn't see the message here.
    I took the following. Most were mushy and I didn't think they would make another trip.
    Goluboi Tuman
    Allegro darcy Zarrow
    Vampire Kiss
    Touch of Irish
    Christmas Dream
    Mas Blueberry Taffy
    Motley Crew
    Becas Pink Crochet
    Ness' Puppy Dreams
    Blue Dragon - 1 leaf
    Hope the box makes it OK

• parr
    11 years ago

Can"t wait ,I"m sure it will find me it"s a small town .

• suecirish
    11 years ago

Very good choices, Eileen! I hope they all survive for you. Some of those looked pretty good when they left here, so maybe your hot weather had some effect on them. So far my questionable ones are hanging in there. The weather has been fluctuating here for the past couple weeks with a big variance in temps. Days in the 80s, nights in the 50s. Hope the box makes it to you in good condition, Pat!

• parr
    11 years ago

I"ve had the same weather ,But Florida is really far away ,but they have great seafood.I"ll post when it gets here.

• parr
    11 years ago

When I send it back to you Darike I"ll put Vampire"s kiss in Anything else on your wish list.

• GermanMajor1980
    11 years ago

Pat, Vampire's Kiss is very high on my list. Thank you very much for putting that one in. I'm looking for Optimara Maine if you happen to have it. I know it's an odd one. I really like the vintage violets and variegated ones. I should have more"Dark Night of the Soul" and "Dark Kiss" to share this spring as all of the leaves that I put down have taken and I didn't expect that. I think I will be overrun with "Dark" plantlets. We shall see when spring comes. I hope we all do another RR when the snow has left and we're all done digging ourselves out of winter. I am not looking forward to another Maine winter, finger's crossed it's a mild one. I need to move to Florida!

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Allegro Darcy farrow.. ;)
    Wow, the box really traveled fast! It's been so much fun reading about what varieties everyone selected. I wish we were doing a round 2, but I'm so hesitant to say anything yet. This week it's going down to 42*
    I'm not sure if we are going to have early fall temps. Or temps are going to stay stable?

I know we will have a spring round robin! :).

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hopefully the box arrives today for Pat.
    Temps are going down quickly in Illinois 39* Tuesday and Saturday!
    Chilly!! I think we will hold off on round 2. Who knows what temps will be like by next week!

Looking forward to the swap wrapping up!
    Can't wait to hear what Darike receives! I hope lots of really neat varieties
    come back to our fantastic swap host!

Deb

• GermanMajor1980
    11 years ago

I agree, the nights are just getting too chilly for another box to start it's journey. I will have lots of new things for spring though(as long as we don't lose electric mid winter and freeze the whole room). I separated lots of suckers today and some of the leaves that I put down this past June have put out lots of babies that were finally able to be separated.
    I am very excited to see what comes this way! I can't wait to add some new things to the collection and I think it will be wonderful to see what's in the box from my replacement list. This is such a fun way to get more plants. It was truly my pleasure to start the box out and I'm so glad that everyone has enjoyed it. I will definitely post what makes it to Maine.

• parr
    11 years ago

box made it but not in good shape it looks like it got cooked.I threw away 25 bags of brown mushy leaves, Blue Mist-Violet trail-Optimara Texas- Silverglades jewels- ballet snowcone might make it had to cut alot of the leaf out they were rotting and the other two that were in good condition I already have. The box was smashed it is"nt square any more -So I"m replaceing the box with new Will post # tomorrow Parr

• parr
    11 years ago

here is the tracking #0308 0660 0000 6307 0892 I"ll keep you posted if those leaves make it. Parr

• ima_digger
    11 years ago

Pat, so sorry to hear that just about everything was lost. I thouhgt it would be delivered by Saturday. It's been in the 90s here and I hoped the box would be OK. It was slightly dented when it arrived here. I packed it solid with leaves and sort of straightened it out.
    I had the same thing happen to me last year in another RR. Just about everything was mush. It's hard to figure out a travel plan due to temps around the country. One RR usually plans northern states first and then south. So far it's been working. Hopefully in the spring the weather will be more friendly to us.
    Eileen

• GermanMajor1980
    11 years ago

Just an update...not sure who got the pink feathers leaf, but I got a very nice surprise as it bloomed. It's not blooming true and it's blooming like a Chimera. I'm not sure what kind of color or bloom you're going to get. I just wanted to give an update so you're not shocked by wondering what's going on with it.

• parr
    11 years ago

Yes it sat in Florida for two days in the 90s. Well maybe spring RR will be better to me, Looking forward to it.And hopefully no one will set on the box. some were cooked others were smashed really bad.4 of them I tried cutting out the bad parts on the leaf. the only one that was in good shape was snowcone. and 3 other ones that I already have so I did"nt take them. Deb how do you use the cinnamon? I put it on the cut edges of a leaf and it still rotted.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear about the box! You have to use a good cinnamon, dollar store cinnamon for some reason does not work as well. You have to hold the leaf up to the light- and look at the back. Make sure it didn't turn clear- sometimes by just checking the front you miss it. If there is any clear traveling up the veins, it's been cooked or chilled. Then use a sharp xacto knife or razor blade to chop off any rot. Dust the fresh cut in cinnamon, it does work as long as the leaf back isn't clear.

I've saved so many varieties this way. Or if you want to multiply varieties quickly- cut the leaves in half, dust both cuts in cinnamon. The leaf half/wedge snuggles well in soil and will produce babies from the bottom of the slice. You can prop leaves with a plastic straw/stir kind. Or toothpick (they turn black in time).

Deb

• suecirish
    11 years ago

Pat, the Texas, Jewels, and Snowcone were from me. If there 's something else that you wanted that was mush, I 'd be happy to send it to you if I had it. So sorry for the disappointment.

Sue

• aviolet6
    11 years ago

If anyone in the south wants to do a trade or RR with me let me know. It's not to late where I live. I got the bad leaves last time but most of the ones I tried to save eventually "sprouted". And I "need" more.

• parr
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone I can wait till spring..Look out I"ll post a wants list in the spring. Thanks again.Parr

• ima_digger
    11 years ago

I looked thru the posts to see who picked Pink Feather and couldn't find the post. It's possible it didn't make it and was tossed. I saw your Pink Feather on VV forum. What a beauty. I've added it to my want list. Hopefully I'll follow you in the Spring RR, and you'll have leaves to sHare. (WISHFULL THINKING).
    Eileen

• terrilou
    11 years ago

I was first to receive the box & was hoping to find Pink Feathers, but it wasn't in there! I took everything out so didn't think I'd missed it. . . and I'm certain that those who followed did the same, so I don't think I overlooked the bag. Its a mystery!

Terri

• GermanMajor1980
    11 years ago

Terri, Eileen

In my rush to make the post office I must have forgotten to put "Pink Feathers" in the box. I am so sorry. I am going to put a leaf down to see if it keeps that unique bloom. I am so glad it didn't bloom true to pink feathers. It's kind of nice to have something unique happen in the plant tray without any effort from me other than usual care. I also used the keiki cream inserted into the bloomstalk just incase it won't bloom from leaf that way again.
    Darike

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn't see a pink feather in the box either. ;)
    I would of loved a leaf..
    We always have our next RR to look forward to!

Deb

• ima_digger
    11 years ago

OK, Darike. Mystery solved. LOL. We will just have to hope you are successful for the future RRs.
    Happy propagating!
    Eileen

• GermanMajor1980
    11 years ago

Does anyone have a description for Mardigra that was included in the RR box? Pat packed a wonderful selection of variegates off of my want list and I can't thank her enough for such beautiful and healthy leaves. Optimara Hawaii, Violet Trail (which I was very sad about) and a couple others were just translucent and just too far gone to even take anything from and I tried everything to save a few of the others and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they make it. Thanks again for a great first RR. Looking forward to Spring already.

• suecirish
    11 years ago

Thank you, Darike, for stepping in and being a great hostess! And thanks Deb for always being the great coordinator. This was a terrific RR for me. Sorry to those that didn't get such a good number of healthy leaves. I'll be looking forward to the spring when we can do it all again. In the meantime, back to the violets. I think I have some that have already rooted! YAY!

• parr
    11 years ago

Darike look on Lyndon Lyon greenhouses Mardi Gras Madness sorry forgot the madness part.

• shihtzu42
    11 years ago

hi

new to the forum, may I be included in the next round robin?