Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Fall Round Robin ~African Violet~

Posted by debbya z4IL (da1763@aol.com) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 15:17

Anyone interested in a African Violet Fall Round Robin? ;)
This is a fantastic way to trade for PRIORITY postage/delivery confirmation. I'll start the box off with 25 varieties- all clearly labeled, named. You must replace what you take, feel free to add more than you took-if you need to clear out some space on your growing shelves! Please be generous... I want EVERYONE to be happy with this round robin! Let's make this one the best one we had so far.

Keep the box for a day or two- and send it on as fast as you can to keep everything fresh.

I love starting this- and hopefully, we get enough interest.

Our temps are so much better (50's at night this week) hopefully the cooler weather stays, we had such a long hot summer. I would love to start this in two weeks- end of August. Does that work for you? Let me know...

Also, you must post when the box arrives, and goes back out. Communication is so important- so the next person knows when the package will arrive.

Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Fall Round Robin ~African Violet~

I should mention.. Plants, plantlets, leaves--- whatever you have to share is fine to add. NAMED varieties ONLY..

Few little surprises to the box is fine too- favorite tool, packets of your favorite fertilizer, small bags of blonde moss, etc. Added extra of course.. 25 Varieties MUST be in the box at all times.

Let's make this really FUN!

Deb

o

Hi Deb!
Put me on the list! I love participating in your Round Robins. I hope we get a good turnout. All my leaves from the spring RR have survived, rooted and most have produced babies.

Sue C.

o

Put me on the list too . Will email info

o

Hi Deb, I would like to join in on the fun this time around. I will email my info. Thanks!

Terri

o

Hi Deb. I'm ready for the RR. Let me know if you need my info again.
Eileen

o

I would like to participate in the round robin. I have quite a few varieties and many small plants. Darike

o

sorry to bug everyone, but I've never participated in one of these before and I'm not sure what's usually expected. Should I send a complete list of what I have to the moderator or should it be a surprise going out? When does the swap usually start? Thanks again for helping a newbie out!

o

Hello Deb,
Can I be in the round robin too please! I will email you my info. Let me know. THANKS!!!

o

GermanMajor - You can send an email to Deb, the sponsor of the RR with your personal info - name, address, Gardenweb name. And of course, any questions you have. She will let you know any further details. You don't need to send her a list of your violets. That's part of the surprise! The start date has yet to be determined, but her original post says the end of August. Deb will post the date and the list of participants when she has everyone's info. Hope that helps!

Sue

o

Thanks for the info Sue. I e-mailed Deb and gave her my details. I think I got the her e-mail wrong when sending a message through here. I 'm looking forward to the round robin. I have lots of starter plants and leaves that would enjoy a new home to make room for some new ones.

o

I'll go through all my emails later today- and compile a list..
I've been soooo busy, and apologize for not checking the thread enough! Things are slowing down, so I'll be checking it daily...

I'm looking so forward to our round robin! I can't wait to start it!

Deb

o

I'm still going through more email- will compile the list tomorrow..
There is still time to join- any more interest?

Deb

o

Ok,
Went through all the emails..
I have compiled a 'BOX FLIGHT' list-
in order..
#1 Terri (She's going on vacation Sept.4) so she's first
#2 Hillary
#3 Sue
#4 Elaine
#5 Patricia
#6 Darike
Back home.. Deb

Darike is looking for Optimara Maine, so if anyone has it, please share anything you can (plantlet, leaves- plant) Thanks!

Patricia,
Making sure you will be home- so I put you toward the end of the swap. I know you were traveling, will you be home in a few weeks?

The box is going out MONDAY 27th-

I did a swap in the spring and want to share how the plantlets were wrapped. They lasted several weeks in the box- with no damage. Someone started leaf pots- didn't really separate the babies, and wrapped them in fiberfill (kind in a bag/white fluffy) from a craft store, even Walmart has it. And then put the cluster in a baggie, labeled it. The plantlets traveled great, and many people were able to take a plantlet of one variety!

Ok- let's get this started, if anyone has any problems with the lineup, let me know.. I'll change a few things around if possible.

This swap shouldn't take long- so we should be able to do another Fall swap. Let's see how this one goes, and if everything works out. I'll gladly start another box- with more participants (or everyone who joined this one, feel free to rejoin).

Elaine, please re-send your address. I had computer issues and a lot of my files were lost.

Thanks,
Deb

o

Oh goodie! Ill be anxiously awaiting! Terri

o

YaY! So exciting to be getting started. I've got some new varieties to contribute this year, too!

o

I'm very excited about the box. Deb if you're looking for anything special, please let me know so I can place it in the box. I just got "Dark Kiss" and I may have a leaf off of "Making Waves" if she gets going a little bit.

o

Ok,
Here's the final list--
#1 Terri (She's going on vacation Sept.4) so she's first
#2 Hillary
#3 Sue
#4 Eileen
#5 Patricia
#6 Darike
Back home.. Deb

I'm working on the box in the morning, and will post the delivery confirmation number when I return home from the post office.

I'm sooo excited- and can't wait for our swap to begin!
I haven't heard from Patricia yet- to make sure she's home from vacation when the box arrives. If we don't hear from her by the time the box is ready to go out (when Eileen has it) we will skip her, and the box will go straight to Darike. I'll know more later, and of course post with what to do. But, for now- this is the lineup. A paper will be in the box with the next person's address (where the box has to go) if anyone has any questions, please feel free to email me.

Deb

o

I have some disappointing news... I'm not going to be able to start the round robin tomorrow morning. The water heater broke- and waters everywhere in the utility room! I've been working for several hours cleaning up water out of the carpet! We have wall to wall thick carpet in the utility room--ugh!!! How I wish it was tile, lol! Is there anyone that wants to start the round robin? What's so neat about starting it-- is when the box comes back you get to keep everything! ;)
I could email you all our addresses... I'm going water heater shopping tomorrow- but will check our thread and see if we have someone willing to start the box. All of my priority boxes were ruined- I had them hidden in a corner of the flooded utility room! This water tank gave no warning that it was breaking-- water just started pouring out! And of course when I wasn't home! I'm so glad it's only the utility... The basement is fine/dry.
I'm so disappointed! In order to keep the lineup the box has to go out within a couple of days- and I won't be able to do anything with violets for several days. If we do get a volunteer- I want to be included in the round robin! I would need to be second or third- so I can catch up with everything... Will check the thread a few times tomorrow.. And of course forward everything needed for the new hostess.

Deb

o

I can start it if you'll give me a few pointers. I have lots of stuff that would benefit everyone involved

o
Starting the box

and if Deb has me start the box I would love a few suggestions of plants from a few of you as to what colors/leaves sizes etc do people want to see to get the ball rolling. I have a very large collections so if anyone needs something maybe I have it so let me know before it goes. I would love Optimara Maine if anyone has it or Kei Yoki I would be forever in your debt. I like the russians as well. I have a few of those in my collection.

o
Starting the box

and if Deb has me start the box I would love a few suggestions of plants from a few of you as to what colors/leaves sizes etc do people want to see to get the ball rolling. I have a very large collections so if anyone needs something maybe I have it so let me know before it goes. I would love Optimara Maine if anyone has it or Kei Yoki I would be forever in your debt. I like the russians as well. I have a few of those in my collection.

o

Darike,
Thanks for saving our round robin! I'll email you everyone's address- including mine. Anything in the box works- leaves (in baggies) clearly labeled with variety name. Plantlets, plants- or crowns. I've seen plantlets ship well basically wrapped in fiberfill/craft store and put in baggies. Plants shipped with soil shaken off rootball wrapped in glad press and seal, wrapped in a newspaper cone. Plantlets roots shaken/ extra dirt off wrapped rootball with glad press/seal. Anything really what you have extra is good enough to add... Peanuts can be used or crumpled newspaper/shredded for box cushioning. Or cut crowns can be added with no soil. I'm so glad your able to start the round robin. The best part- is getting the box back filled with different varieties- no one grows the same exact plants! I'll forward you everything needed for the swap/addresses.

Any size box is fine to start with- whatever you have on hand you can use. I love using the free priority ones from the post office. I usually order them online, but you can go to the post office and pick a few up too. They usually have the non flat rate in the back, you just have to ask.

Deb

o

I have insulation for a large priority box as I just got a few violets and the tubes etc to help start the packing off right so others can be worry free about whether something will make it.If any of the others have a few requests I would love to help get them in the box and see if they make them to them.
Thanks again for getting this set up. I am excited to do this and will be in touch with you as I make the finishing touches so that you can tell me if it's done properly. I will go start getting my leaves ready for the box. 25 plants/leaves etc correct? How would people like their leaves? I get them in a baggie and that's it, some like them wrapped in paper towels. What does this group want? I think baggies is easier and less likely to soak the leaves

o
Dark Kiss

I also have Dark Kiss as a leaf that's already put down that I will pack safely and send it out with the box. It's one of the most GORGEOUS violets I have had. Whomever keeps it will be very happy they did. Who knows there might even be a couple of Streptocarpus in the box. I am hoping this will be an awesome trade and that it's so great we all want to do it again very soon!

o
Box Is almost ready

I have all the violets on my dining room table and I am making labels and descriptions now and then cutting the leaves. I should be able to get this out this afternoon and we'll be ready to go! I made growers notes with each pair of leaves so you'll have an idea of what to expect from the plant.

o

Deb, So sorry to hear of your problems. Bummer! And Darike, thanks for helping out. I am looking forward to the box especially knowing there may be a Russian or two inside. I have zero in my collection now. I'm looking over my varieties to determine which ones to include. Fun!

Terri

o

I will specifically put a couple Russian varieties in the box. Is there anything else you're looking for?

o

Hi Deb I don"t know why you are"nt getting my emails So I"m posting here I never go on vacation Hubby is a home body

o

I will cut all the leaves as soon as I get addresses from Deb so that they are fresh. I insulated the box completely with a heavy batting so that we shouldn't have any freezing issues and I have rolled round cardboard holders to keep things form shifting too much. I have included a couple plantlets, a leaf that is starting to shoot babies up and a couple Streptocarpus for those that would like to try their hand at growing one. A sneak preview of varieties I included are Halo's Aglitter, Toorooka semi trailer. There are a few babies in the pot so others should be able to seperate and take one if they want. Geisha Girl is in there and Irish Flirt. The rest are going to be a suprise for Terri since she is first. My post office closes at 3:00, so it may have to go out tomorrow, but I will try to get it out today if it's not too close

o

There are also 2 Russians in there and I could only put 1 Dark Kiss in there as the plant is still small and I don't want to take too much from it. There's 28 Leaf Bags and the Streps, plantlets etc. I can't wait to see what comes back to me. I am already waiting for the box and it's not even left yet.

o

suggestion for the leaves: nothing on the leaves in the baggies. they last longer if left with nothing. if they become limp, just a few hours soak in sugar water will perk them back up.
cant wait for box to get to me. hopefully there's a strep leave in there. I have no luck and keep trying to find out the secret to grow them. love the russian violets too, if anyone before me has any.
Eileen

o

Ok, all the info/addresses were sent to Darike. I'm so thankful our round robin's able to continue! That hot water issue was a MESS! The entire tank drenched the utility room, without any warning! A shop vac cleaned up all the water, I have a huge fan blowing in the utility room still! Tomorrow I'm steam cleaning the carpet with febreeze steam cleaning stuff. I'm afraid of a mold smell! Tonight a new hot water tank will be picked up- and installed tomorrow. I have no idea why that tank busted!

Anyways--- Darike THANK YOU!! I'm excited too about the box, and of course will stuff the box as much as possible too!

LINEUP FOR SWAP--

#1 TERRI
#2 DEB
#3 HILLARY
#4 SUE
#5 EILEEN
#6 PATRICIA
#7 DARIKE

This swap should go quickly.. Remember, be generous/add as much as you can. Go through the package quickly, post when it arrives & goes back out. Also, use a delivery confirmation number so we can track the package. It costs under $1 and is so worth it. It proves you mailed the package out (just in case it would get lost) don't bother with insurance- you can't insure LIVE stuff at the post office.

If anything starts to rot, remember cut off the rotting portion and dust with cinnamon. Cinnamon's a natural fungicide and stops rot.

Dark kiss sounds beautiful! I love dark violets!

Deb

o

Eileen,
At first I had a hard time keeping streps alive. They would basically dry up- or rot. They have to be grown on bottom shelves, ends of shelves. They love cooler temps- Also any time when a strep leaf touches something, it seems to start to die at that point- so you need to give them space to keep all the leaves alive. I'll add some strep leaves to the box..

I can't wait to hear about what Everyone chose- decides to take. And of course- tiny sneak peeks to what they add.

Deb

o

What's everyone looking for? Let's make a short 'wish' list while waiting for the box. Plus, you never know if you post something- the person before you might have it and put it in the box!
I'll start the 'wish' list...

I would LOVE some "Cajun" varieties, everyone's talking about them on several violet lists.
Whisper blue- has been on my 'want list' forever! Would love any species- or trailing varieties. Love varigated stuff, and dark blooms! Also, Mac's.. I know, I want too many, LOL!

Deb

o

Wow! I just came on to check and see the status of our box. What a surprise!

Deb, so sorry to hear about your mess. That happened to us one time, too. It really feels so overwhelming when you come in to find all that water and realize what's going on. But just keep thinking the ordeal will be over before you know it and the RR box will be appearing on your doorstep!

Darike, Thank you so much for stepping up and volunteering. I might have been able to do it, but it would really have been close trying to get 25 different variety leaves.

As for my wish-list...
I love vintage violets of any size or type especially the original 10.
Anything with Irish in the name.
Fave colors are red and white.

Oh, and I would prefer just straight cut leaves, no wrapping.

Anybody like trailers or species? I have some nice ones I can offer leaves from.

So excited that we are set to go!
Sue

o

Ok Everyone The box just went out. I had to catch the other post office in order to get it out today. I thought it would be more, but it was only $13.60 for the box with delivery confirmation and it�s very full. I insulated it to protect what�s in it and I think it will travel just fine.

There�s eight streptocarpus in there and I hope you all enjoy them. I tried not to trim any leaves so it required two paper tubes to accomplish that. Georgette had a mishap with the dog two weeks ago and so a small part of her leaf is missing, but I didn�t want to trim the whole thing off and so I left it as is. There is a pot of Toorooka semi mini trailers and I think if careful it could be shared amongst a few people. They are tiny as expected. There is also a leaf that has started to put plantlets out. I also packed 24 different types of African Violet leaves. I did wrap them in paper towel, but not wet, just dry for cushion and then in a bag. I had already had it done when I saw the message about not putting paper towel in with them and I was ready to seal the box and get to the post office.

I agree with Deb if anyone has a few Cajun�s we�d love a few. If anyone has Wrangler�s Gaudy Lady, Optimara Maine, Beach Comber, Pretty Poison or Sunday Best; I will surely be forever grateful to you.

If anything is gone from the box that I packed and someone really would like to have it I have a few more leaves to spare.

Here�s what�s in the box:
Pink Feathers
Rip Van Winkle
Sky Diver
Marie Lorraine
Magic Charms
Halos a glitter
Tomorrow�s Pink Ice
Rainy Day Lovin
Irish Flirt
Ode to Beauty
Jean-Pierre Croteau
Toorooka (Semiminiature Trailer)
Magic Charms
Rob�s Ice Ripples
Spring Kiss
Geisha Girl
Apache Thunderbolt
Rob�s Dust Storm
Rose Garden
Perfect Harmony
Fisherman�s Paradise
Redoubled
Rob�s Incredible Infrared
Cedar Creek Kaylee (very very small leaves)
Fire Works
Mermaid�s Kiss
Dark Kiss.

We had a house fire in January and I lost my whole collection and so Iam rebuilding and I appreciate all of you doing this round robin. It truly is a welcomed opportunity to get some of those I lost back. I figured after what Deb has been through I would send a leaf of Dark Kiss in the travels for her. I have about 4 put down right now and when they produce if anyone wants one and wants to pay postage later I would be happy to send one to you, just let me know. I just didn�t have anymore leaves to spare without making it very ugly.

Here�s the Tracking # 0311 3260 0001 9948 9949

o

Wow Darike...you really packed a fantastic box! Very nice selections added to start the round robin.
Thank you sooooo much!
I'm so sorry that you lost your collection... to a fire!
I'm sure the box will be filled with a lot of neat varieties to
help you rebuild your collection. ;)

Deb

o

The box is here already!! I've only snooped a bit so far, but everything looks good. You did a fine job of packing, Darike. I will send the box out tomorrow to you Deb & will give a more detailed report then.

Terri

o

Terri,
I can't wait to hear what you picked out. ;)
Wow, the box really traveled fast!

Deb

o

That certainly was fast! But a great way to get it started on its journey! Looking forward to seeing what you decided on, Terri.

o

Oh I sure would like a Ode to Beauty but I don"t think it will make it that far.And I like Varigated leaves .Dream on can"t wait. Pat

o

I'm excited to see what all of you have packed in the box for it's return. I"m patiently awaiting my turn to dive into the surprise box. I am just so glad that it made it so quickly to it's first destination and now it starts heading towards a few more.! Maine is calling it back home

o

Hi All, Darike packed some beautiful leaves. I took these:

Cedar Creek Kaylee
Mermaid's Kiss
Halo's Aglitter
Tomorrow's Pink Ice
Toorooka
Marie Lorraine
Apache Thunderbolt
Fisherman's Paradise
Irish Flirt
Mac's Incredible Infared
Strepts Wild Fire & Bristol's Moon Moth

With most varieties, I took one leaf and left the other so there are plenty of Darike's lovely selections left.

Deb, I read your wish list so hope I added a few that you might like. And the box is on its way. The confirmation # is 0312 0090 0000 1908 0807

This was fun! Merry trading to you all. Terri

o

Bristol's wild fire and Bristol's moon moth are both beautiful streps! Wow, such nice selections chosen, Terri!

I'm so excited about the box- it should arrive Saturday, hopefully. If it doesn't then it will arrive Tuesday, Monday's memorial day so no mail. I'll let Everyone know when it arrives, and what I chose! ;)

Deb

o

Great choices, Terri! A couple in your list I was hoping to choose for myself. But I'm sure there will be so many goodies when it gets here, I'll never miss them! Hope the box gets to you on Saturday, Deb, so you can have the rest of the long weekend to look them over and choose.

o

Terri, You chose some beautiful violets. Toorooka is absolutely gorgeous in bloom and the foliage on Cedar Creek Kaylee is spectacular and worth having around just for that alone. Mermaid's kiss looks like a little tea rose when it blooms and the buds look just like rose buds and Apache Thunderbolt is a very low growing/flat that has this wonderful foliage color that just begs you to stare at it/not to mention when it's in bloom. Enjoy them! Darike

o

I love the foliage/variegation on the Apaches!
I should of listed them too on my most wanted list..

Deb

o

The box arrived, today (Saturday) I'll have it until Tuesday- no mail Monday. Everything looks fantastic- will post more later with my choices. We had a cookout today, even though it rained. More relatives are coming over tomorrow. Busy weekend-I'll be able to relax on Monday. ;)

Deb

o

I'm posting from my phone- so can't list all my choices, but will later when I'm on the computer. My weekend was more stressful than relaxing! Too much Family time-lol! I cooked all weekend- over and over! ;)
I have the box packed and ready to go to Hillary! I'll post the delivery confirmation number once I receive it from the post office. This was so much fun, thanks Darike for doing this for us!

I'll post more later...

Deb

o

Our area is under severe storms- I planned on posting my selections, but can't right now. Lots of winds, rain, thunder. I have the feeling the electric might go off- it's flashing. The box was shipped today to Hillary. I'll post what I took tomorrow morning, and post the tracking number.
Hillary should receive it in two days/ Thursday.

Deb

o

I feel like the hostess with the 'most' going on all the time. ;) Weekend's are not relaxing lately, they seem to have become catch up time from the previous week!

I had a lot of fun going through the box! The best part is not knowing what's in it! Darike added a few streps to the box, they suffered heat damage. It was 96* the day the box arrived, I have a feeling the package became a little over heated. There was insulation in the package, but it can only do so much. I kept the streps, cut off the rotted leaves/and dry (streps rot and dry at the same time) and am trying to regrow the crowns. When you cut off the dead stuff NEVER toss a strep- look to see if the center is still green, if it is, it has a chance to regrow. There was one strep in there that was perfect- I passed that one on. Took it out of the pot, shook off the soil, wrapped the roots and bagged it. Sometimes being protected in a bag- helps keep the moisture. When ever a plant is stressed, bag it. Usually you don't lose it.
I even bag 'iffy' leaves, lots of time they look horrible, even after a sugar soak- put the solo cup in a bag (after planting) and by morning, it might be ok.

I took- Ode to beauty leaf
Rupicola plantlet (plucked off leaves from plantlet and added them to the box too- to share)

Leaf of Lyon's fireworks
Leaf of Rob's Incredible Infared
Leaf of Apache Thunderbolt
Leaf of Rose Garden
Leaf of Species Brevipilosa
Leaf of Dark kiss
Leaf of Magic Charms
Mac's Glacial Grape plantlet
Leaf of Perfect Harmony
Leaf of Geisha Girl

I didn't have to toss anything- only the streps suffered. Streps can't handle heat. If yours aren't doing well, move them to lower shelves/and or place them on shelf ends.

The box is STUFFED- I couldn't add one more baggie!
Hillary's next!

Deb

o

Deb, Now I see why the RR can be so much fun. The anticipation of the box coming to you is just madness. Mac's Glaclial Grape is a good choice. I can't wait to see what it comes back here with!
I am hoping the insulation helps with the box as it gets back this way. We are in the low 50's at night now and it's only getting colder.

o

The delivery confirmation for the package (went out Tuesday 9/4
0312 1430 0000 1568 1818
On the receipt the scheduled delivery date is tomorrow/Thursday!

Deb

o
Weather...

Darike,
Right now I wish we had your weather. It's in the 90's again. It's been like this all summer, very extreme weather. Lots of storms too! I thought for sure that the power was going to go out last night. We had several warnings on the tv that strong severe storms were coming. Exactly when I wanted to go online and post, I finally had some free time to catch up. That's what I'm doing all day-catching up with everything! I'm expecting 2 more rr boxes tomorrow (from different swaps) so I'll be busy again tomorrow night. I'm excited- and have my solo cups and soil ready!
By the weekend, our weather looks like it's changing. Only 70's with 50's at night, I can't wait! I want to open the windows so bad (I love breezes) and our windows have been shut for a few months- central air has been on constantly, it's been a really humid, HOT summer!

Yes, waiting for the box is the hardest part. Once it arrives and it's filled with new stuff, the wait is so worth it! Anticipation, LOL!

Deb

o

Deb, Great choices! I'm envious of those species - hope some make it to me. I agree, the anticipation is the most fun and the hardest to stand! I'm next after Hillary, so my wait won't be much longer, especially if she gets it tomorrow!

We are getting the last of the remnants of Isaac here in southern New England yesterday and today. Steamy, humid weather - torrential downpours today, with some flash flooding, thunder and lightning. Otherwise, we are starting to get some fall-like weather, with cooler nights and warm, but not as hot, days. Perfect weather for shipping AVs!

o

Sue, I'm glad your weather is changing. I wish ours was. It's still in the 90s during the day. My air conditioner just doesn't want to stop. We had a mess here for the last few weeks. My kitchen tiles decided to pop up from the cement. The tile men finally finished chopping out all the old cement and installing new tile. Unfortunately the new tile is just a bit darker than the original. The worst part being is the tile was not the same size. The name of tile, mfg. and color are all the same, but the tile is a different lot from what it was 5 years ago. Also it seems it was a tad smaller than the original. Food sizes and prices are changing and now so is tile. :(. At least it's finished and we can walk without tripping.
I'm after you in the RR and I can use the time to play in the plants again. Happy violet collecting.
Eileen

o

Oh goodness, Eileen, what a mess! I could understand the color being off for a different lot, but the size? That is just weird!

Deb, is your water heater flood clean-up all complete? you ladies have certainly had a bad time of it. ((Knock wood)) Hope nothing else goes wrong and we can all enjoy our new violets!

o

I sent the box off today. Delivery Confrmation 0312 0090 0000 8534 3912. I took some leaves out of the box that were mushy and I kept the following:
Wendy's Chi Latte
Rainy Day Lovin'
Sky Diver
Streptocarpella Concord Blue
Neil's crown Royal Strep
Optimara Modesty
Optimara Romance
Neil's Blue Heaven Strep
Foxwood Trail
King's Trail
Dirty Face
Senk's Fantasy Wasp
Wizard's Danania
Enchanting Waterfall
Hope Sue likes what I put in the box. I only had african violets and leaves to put in the box. My strep babies were too small.

o

Hillary, not to worry! I only do African Violets, not streps, so that's perfect for me. You got some fantastic choices! Every time I see somebody's list I'm envious of at least one or two, but I'm always so excited and delighted with what I get to choose. So, I'm guessing that the box will arrive here on Monday!

o

Supoosedly it will arrive saturday. I hope you like what I put in the box!

o

WhooHoo! The box is here! Only a two day trip half way across the country. I've only had a chance to do a quick scan through, but, WOW! there are lots of leaves in there. Some of the varieties have many many leaves in the bags. And there are a few plantlets and suckers too. So much to choose from, I'm glad I have an extra day to go through.

At a quick run through, it looks like there are three bags with leaves that are mush - Okie Easter Bunny, Silverglade Secrets and S. rupicola. There were two bags with S. rupicola, and one looks ok, the other is not.

That's it for now. I'll definitely have fun going through everything, and I'll have it ready to go out first thing Monday morning.

o

It sounds like Christmas at your house with the choices you've got. I'm excited to see the box on it's return. It sounds like everyone has had a lot of great choices as the box has gotten to them.

o

oh no, I missed the Fall round robin. I kept checking the general AV forum and thought the info will be posted there. Is there going to be a second round? or is this is it?

Minal

o

Sue I hope you got some that you liked!

o

Just got back form the PO. Eileen, the box is on its way to you! DC# 0312 0090 0000 3690 8832

That box is just packed soooo full! I could barely get the baggies in that I wanted to contribute. But I managed to get quite a few in there too. There is so much to choose from for our last violeteers, and Darike will have plenty plenty to rebuild her collection. I soaked some of the leaves that were looking a little limp; some may not make the rest of the journey.

Thanks Hillary and Deb, Teri and Darike for adding such wonderful things to the box.

So, here is what I chose. I felt like a kid in a candy store! I took some that looked really questionable, and will try to revive them. But if they don't make it, I still have plenty of others.

Mac's Scorching Sun
Rob's Heat Wave
Jolly Orchid
Dean's Bunny Blue
S. rupicola
Biscayne Trail
Motley Crew
Morgan's Winter Wine
Shirl's Hawaiian Lei
Ami Peanut
Vampire's Kiss
Touch of Irish
Big Josh

The last two I thought were really interesting, and wasn't able to find much information when I googled them. Whoever put them in the box, can you send me a message? I have a couple questions.

Thanks everybody for a fun and exciting RR. now that I know what's in there, I'll be interested to see what those that follow will take!

Sue

o

Wow, this really traveled fast! Eileen's next.. Can't wait to hear what Eileen selects! ;)

Deb

o

Wow it's moving very quickly from place to place. I better start getting my soil and cups ready. I can't wait to hear what Eileen chooses. I want a starting from Vampire's Kiss . Next round robin I am printing the labels from First Class to help everyone in choosing. I don't know why I didn't do it this time, I guess I was in a hurry to get the box going ha-ha.

o

Hi Everyone!

I'm Julia in SC. I've had such fun reading this thread! I grew AV minis years ago. Life threw me a curve ball and I was not able to keep them up. I've recently begun again. I placed an order for 11 plants, from Rob and LL. I've got a mixed av leaf pkg on the way and a mixed lot of streps. Can't wait until I have enough to join in the round robin! Please keep posting, I'm thoroughly enjoying reading. When my leaves start producing plantlet I'd love to trade with someone or more! Thanks!

o

Hi Everyone!

I'm Julia in SC. I've had such fun reading this thread! I grew AV minis years ago. Life threw me a curve ball and I was not able to keep them up. I've recently begun again. I placed an order for 11 plants, from Rob and LL. I've got a mixed av leaf pkg on the way and a mixed lot of streps. Can't wait until I have enough to join in the round robin! Please keep posting, I'm thoroughly enjoying reading. When my leaves start producing plantlet I'd love to trade with someone or more! Thanks!

o

Julia,
African violets are so addicting.. you can't have just one. And a round robin is a perfect way for just postage to trade. Plus, half the excitement is not knowing what's in the box! Vintage? Rare? New Cajun that everyone's talking about? LOL..
We might do a round two if everyone's interested. Let's see how this one turns out. We still have plenty of time. Any comments? Suggestions? Or should we just wait and see?

Deb

o

I think a second round could be ok, as long as we mix up the order so everybody gets a different set to choose from. Though just where I'm going to put all these potted up leaves and plantlets is another question entirely. Hmmmm...

o

Oh, and I meant to say - Hi, Julia! Glad you're enjoying the posts. We'll be happy to welcome you to our RRs when you and your plants are ready!

o

Hi Julia Welcome- I"d go for another round -And Sue We always find more room for violets thats just how it is .The weather here has been just great the last 2wks wish it could be like this all year round.

o

I just checked the weather, I'm not so sure about a second round. It's going to be in the 40's by Thursday. That's chilly for shipping. Wonder if we are going to have an early fall? Is the night temps dropping in your area? Let's check and see, and then decide... Leaves don't do well and turn clear if it's too cold. At least the heat dries them out, and we can revive them with a sugar water soak, cold damage destroys cells.

Deb

o

First off I want to say "Hi Julia"

Sorry I haven't posted lately. I have been dealing with a ballast on the plant light that lost it's ground wire, I think. It was letting me have little tiny shocks as I touched the aluminum of the cart. I am hoping, fingers crossed that was it. I just love electricity when it's not zapping me.

Deb, I agree. I am not sure about a second round unless it was very soon. We're hitting high 30s and low 40s at night up here. I love heat packs, but finding them is always fun and I don't know if I'd have enough for this RR and the other ones. I also think I need to wait for some of my things to get a bit bigger and that way I will have more to share. I really enjoyed packing this box as I had lots of extra streps and everything needed a good grooming. I would like to be able to put lots of the newer variegated ones in for spring. I have so many leaves down right now that I know I will have so many extras to share. I will be up for a spring RR and I still can't wait for the box to get here. I love the anticipation of not knowing what's coming this way.

It sounds like this box has just flown around the group. This is my first RR and I am so glad I decided to do it. Thankfully Deb has allowed me to e-mail and ask about a thousand questions so I started the box correctly. I have also enjoyed seeing everyone get some great plants to add to their collections. It's a little joy in a flat rate postal box.

o

Box came today. It is kinda crushed, but everything in box looks OK. Some leaves were very mushy so I tossed them. It's still very hot here, in the low 90s. Box is filled and ready to go. I'm having problems mailing to Patricia. I print my labels at home and I keep getting message that address is not acceptable, so I'll have to make a trip to post office tomorrow. I have family visiting from Atlana, so when I get a chance I'll post the conf. # and also what I took.

o

Pat Reichard E11369 county highway I as in Ice -its not a number one (1) Sorry my address was so messed up. I"m glad the ninties are gone from up here,

o

Box went out this morning # 0311 3260 0000 7909 2801
Patricia, you may w ant to contact PO because I mailled box to your address but as county hwy 1 (one). I didn't see the message here.
I took the following. Most were mushy and I didn't think they would make another trip.
Goluboi Tuman
Allegro darcy Zarrow
Vampire Kiss
Touch of Irish
Christmas Dream
Mas Blueberry Taffy
Motley Crew
Becas Pink Crochet
Ness' Puppy Dreams
Blue Dragon - 1 leaf
Hope the box makes it OK

o

Can"t wait ,I"m sure it will find me it"s a small town .

o

Very good choices, Eileen! I hope they all survive for you. Some of those looked pretty good when they left here, so maybe your hot weather had some effect on them. So far my questionable ones are hanging in there. The weather has been fluctuating here for the past couple weeks with a big variance in temps. Days in the 80s, nights in the 50s. Hope the box makes it to you in good condition, Pat!

o

I"ve had the same weather ,But Florida is really far away ,but they have great seafood.I"ll post when it gets here.

o

When I send it back to you Darike I"ll put Vampire"s kiss in Anything else on your wish list.

o

Pat, Vampire's Kiss is very high on my list. Thank you very much for putting that one in. I'm looking for Optimara Maine if you happen to have it. I know it's an odd one. I really like the vintage violets and variegated ones. I should have more"Dark Night of the Soul" and "Dark Kiss" to share this spring as all of the leaves that I put down have taken and I didn't expect that. I think I will be overrun with "Dark" plantlets. We shall see when spring comes. I hope we all do another RR when the snow has left and we're all done digging ourselves out of winter. I am not looking forward to another Maine winter, finger's crossed it's a mild one. I need to move to Florida!

o

Allegro Darcy farrow.. ;)
Wow, the box really traveled fast! It's been so much fun reading about what varieties everyone selected. I wish we were doing a round 2, but I'm so hesitant to say anything yet. This week it's going down to 42*
I'm not sure if we are going to have early fall temps. Or temps are going to stay stable?

I know we will have a spring round robin! :).

Deb

o

Hopefully the box arrives today for Pat.
Temps are going down quickly in Illinois 39* Tuesday and Saturday!
Chilly!! I think we will hold off on round 2. Who knows what temps will be like by next week!

Looking forward to the swap wrapping up!
Can't wait to hear what Darike receives! I hope lots of really neat varieties
come back to our fantastic swap host!

Deb

o

I agree, the nights are just getting too chilly for another box to start it's journey. I will have lots of new things for spring though(as long as we don't lose electric mid winter and freeze the whole room). I separated lots of suckers today and some of the leaves that I put down this past June have put out lots of babies that were finally able to be separated.
I am very excited to see what comes this way! I can't wait to add some new things to the collection and I think it will be wonderful to see what's in the box from my replacement list. This is such a fun way to get more plants. It was truly my pleasure to start the box out and I'm so glad that everyone has enjoyed it. I will definitely post what makes it to Maine.

o

box made it but not in good shape it looks like it got cooked.I threw away 25 bags of brown mushy leaves, Blue Mist-Violet trail-Optimara Texas- Silverglades jewels- ballet snowcone might make it had to cut alot of the leaf out they were rotting and the other two that were in good condition I already have. The box was smashed it is"nt square any more -So I"m replaceing the box with new Will post # tomorrow Parr

o

here is the tracking #0308 0660 0000 6307 0892 I"ll keep you posted if those leaves make it. Parr

o

Pat, so sorry to hear that just about everything was lost. I thouhgt it would be delivered by Saturday. It's been in the 90s here and I hoped the box would be OK. It was slightly dented when it arrived here. I packed it solid with leaves and sort of straightened it out.
I had the same thing happen to me last year in another RR. Just about everything was mush. It's hard to figure out a travel plan due to temps around the country. One RR usually plans northern states first and then south. So far it's been working. Hopefully in the spring the weather will be more friendly to us.
Eileen

o

Just an update...not sure who got the pink feathers leaf, but I got a very nice surprise as it bloomed. It's not blooming true and it's blooming like a Chimera. I'm not sure what kind of color or bloom you're going to get. I just wanted to give an update so you're not shocked by wondering what's going on with it.

o

Yes it sat in Florida for two days in the 90s. Well maybe spring RR will be better to me, Looking forward to it.And hopefully no one will set on the box. some were cooked others were smashed really bad.4 of them I tried cutting out the bad parts on the leaf. the only one that was in good shape was snowcone. and 3 other ones that I already have so I did"nt take them. Deb how do you use the cinnamon? I put it on the cut edges of a leaf and it still rotted.

o

Sorry to hear about the box! You have to use a good cinnamon, dollar store cinnamon for some reason does not work as well. You have to hold the leaf up to the light- and look at the back. Make sure it didn't turn clear- sometimes by just checking the front you miss it. If there is any clear traveling up the veins, it's been cooked or chilled. Then use a sharp xacto knife or razor blade to chop off any rot. Dust the fresh cut in cinnamon, it does work as long as the leaf back isn't clear.

I've saved so many varieties this way. Or if you want to multiply varieties quickly- cut the leaves in half, dust both cuts in cinnamon. The leaf half/wedge snuggles well in soil and will produce babies from the bottom of the slice. You can prop leaves with a plastic straw/stir kind. Or toothpick (they turn black in time).

Deb

o

Pat, the Texas, Jewels, and Snowcone were from me. If there 's something else that you wanted that was mush, I 'd be happy to send it to you if I had it. So sorry for the disappointment.

Sue

o

If anyone in the south wants to do a trade or RR with me let me know. It's not to late where I live. I got the bad leaves last time but most of the ones I tried to save eventually "sprouted". And I "need" more.

o

Thanks everyone I can wait till spring..Look out I"ll post a wants list in the spring. Thanks again.Parr

o

I looked thru the posts to see who picked Pink Feather and couldn't find the post. It's possible it didn't make it and was tossed. I saw your Pink Feather on VV forum. What a beauty. I've added it to my want list. Hopefully I'll follow you in the Spring RR, and you'll have leaves to sHare. (WISHFULL THINKING).
Eileen

o

I was first to receive the box & was hoping to find Pink Feathers, but it wasn't in there! I took everything out so didn't think I'd missed it. . . and I'm certain that those who followed did the same, so I don't think I overlooked the bag. Its a mystery!

Terri

o

Terri, Eileen

In my rush to make the post office I must have forgotten to put "Pink Feathers" in the box. I am so sorry. I am going to put a leaf down to see if it keeps that unique bloom. I am so glad it didn't bloom true to pink feathers. It's kind of nice to have something unique happen in the plant tray without any effort from me other than usual care. I also used the keiki cream inserted into the bloomstalk just incase it won't bloom from leaf that way again.
Darike

o

I didn't see a pink feather in the box either. ;)
I would of loved a leaf..
We always have our next RR to look forward to!

Deb

o

OK, Darike. Mystery solved. LOL. We will just have to hope you are successful for the future RRs.
Happy propagating!
Eileen

o

Does anyone have a description for Mardigra that was included in the RR box? Pat packed a wonderful selection of variegates off of my want list and I can't thank her enough for such beautiful and healthy leaves. Optimara Hawaii, Violet Trail (which I was very sad about) and a couple others were just translucent and just too far gone to even take anything from and I tried everything to save a few of the others and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they make it. Thanks again for a great first RR. Looking forward to Spring already.

o

Thank you, Darike, for stepping in and being a great hostess! And thanks Deb for always being the great coordinator. This was a terrific RR for me. Sorry to those that didn't get such a good number of healthy leaves. I'll be looking forward to the spring when we can do it all again. In the meantime, back to the violets. I think I have some that have already rooted! YAY!

o

Darike look on Lyndon Lyon greenhouses Mardi Gras Madness sorry forgot the madness part.

o

hi

new to the forum, may I be included in the next round robin?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here