Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perle_de_or

Robs Jitterbug

perle_de_or
11 years ago

Here is a pix of my Rob's Jitterbug. A wonderful plant, the blooms keep getting better and better and are long lasting.

Comments (14)

• cork_oh
    11 years ago

Very NICE!!! I like it.
    Thanks Cork

• sheilatse
    10 years ago

I like this blue very much. Lucky I got one. As you see, my country sells limited av so not much color or varieties to buy. With very warm temperature, very difficult to grow and people here do not know the techniques and give up growing or buying. This is sad.

The technique is to grow with perlite only and wicking system. My country temperature is 90F

• Begonia2005
    10 years ago

I just ordered one from VB, can't wait to see how it does in my house. :)

• perle_de_or
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Its a really nice semi-minature, and it propagates very easily. The foliage is very interesting, its pointed, and has some variegation which doesn't show up in my photo.

• bloodyfrancois
    10 years ago

I love the 2 upper petals of Jitterbug, like rabbit's ears.

• Begonia2005
    10 years ago

I just received my first two mini-s from Violet Barn: Rob's Jitterbug and Rob's Chilly Willy.

Goodness are they small or what! The diameter is only slightly outside of the tiny white plastic cup.

I hope they do grow a little larger. The Jitterbug in this picture looks much larger than what I got - but either way, I look forward to seeing how minis will do under my conditions.

• perle_de_or
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rob's Jitterbug gets to be a nice size, so it will get larger, for me it grows more like a semi-minature. It has beautiful pointed foliage, the variegation might not show up for a while. The blooms are much prettier than the photo shows.
    My Chilly Willy has stayed small, no where near the size of RJ. The foliage is really pretty, but mine has never bloomed. I have had problems with all my highly variegated Rob's plants, none of them have bloomed, but other Rob's have done really well for me (the ones that are not as highly variegated).
    I would love the hear how others grow Chilly Willy and other highly variegated Rob's varieties.

• Begonia2005
    10 years ago

Yes, I agree - the Chilly Willy's foliage is gorgeous - lots of leaves too.

It arrived with quite few tiny buds, so hopefully these will go in full bloom - but then again, they were started in VB's conditions. Whether I will be able to replicate these buds in my conditions, this remains to be seen.

Overall, the variegated ones seem to be more trouble. I myself have had problems with ANY variegated I've had including LL's Witch Doctor and Timeless Memory.
    The foliage stays smaller, they don't grow as much/fast, Witch Doctor was prone to powdery mildew and at some point it became stunted and the buds were coming out very small and hardly able to open.

Do I understand correctly that the variegated need more light than the standards, generally speaking?

• perle_de_or
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have had the same problems with variegates. I have read on several forums that variegates like less light. I have tried everything. I moved Sahara (a Stork variety) to natural light on advice of a friend. And I noticed yesterday that Optimara Modesty is getting some buds, I had moved it to natural light.
    Frosty Fun is one of my variegated that blooms wonderfully no matter where it is placed. Its variegation is mostly pink and green. I think I posted a picture of it in the gallery a while back.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

HI Perle, The color in the photo of Jitterbug is a lovely, a deep tone of lilac. Is that true to its color? The blossom shape is also charming. I would like to grow a plant that has lilac blooms, however, I prefer a standard size, if such exists. Glad to know about the light needs of variegates, as I was not sure and have been experimenting.
    Joanne

• perle_de_or
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joanne, the color of the bloom is more complex than the photo shows. It also has a slight white edge. Its a very pretty plant that grows symmetrically and although not as large as a standard, its a strong plant, and one I will keep. I also prefer standards though, as you do.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Perle
    I will definitely add Jitterbug to my list, based on your photos. Thanks for letting me know about the color, the photo color is gorgeous. The color looks "saturated" with depth. I also love blooms with a slight white edge. It seems to be the finishing touch to a polished look. Sometimes it seems that some of the most extraordinary, intricate blooms are on the semi-minis.

I am presently growing Wisteria, it has not bloomed yet. The leaves on it are lovely. I am looking for flowers in the range of lavender, or lilac, or light amethyst or light "orchid" for myself and a friend. So I am trying out different varieties. We are trying to replace the colors of AVs we had in the past but don't recall the names.

When you said "one you will keep," do you "grow for show" or keep only varieties that you find are good performers?

Presently, in my area, semi-minis and minis are popular for people who want to grow just a few, more as part of their decor, than because they are hobbyists. So I like to experiment with a few small standards and semi-minis to have as on hand as gifts.

Joanne

• perle_de_or
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, I don't grow for show, just very limited on space, so can't keep ones that are fussy or don't bloom. I have heard Wisteria is a very good one. I have a plant called Optimara Connecticut which is another beautiful lavender lilac color. Mine has been in bloom for a long time. Its a standard, I love the two tone color with the top petals being darker.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi,
    That is beautiful, also, especially with the two-tone. Looks as though you have it displayed on a pretty blue transferware dish! I currently have Michele by Optimara, a little similar in color. Thanks for posting the photo!
    Joanne

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?