Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larry_b_gw

Chantaspring

larry_b
19 years ago

Hi,

Here are the fruits of a leaf cutting from last fall. It is the first bloom of Chantaspring. I should probably wait until more blooms are on it, but I canÂt wait. Try not to notice the spent leave that needs to be taken off that I missed. Here is Chantaspring:

{{gwi:354447}}
{{gwi:354449}}

Comments (16)

• farmerSK
    19 years ago

Larry, what an interesting plant. I love the purple veining on the leaves. What type of bloom is that?

Joan

• korina
    19 years ago

Joan, Chantaspring is a mini trailer with bell flowers. I always kind of wanted one.

Leaf? What leaf? ;-) Pretty.

Korina

• larry_b
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I agree Korina. I was only looking at the bloom. At least that is my defense.

Larry

• stonesriver
    19 years ago

Korina:

Yours is still growing :-) It hasn't bloomed, yet, though. I'll also send you some leaves from two other micro-minis.

When the weather here doesn't go from the 20s one day to 50s the next, I'll ship....but that may be July! ;-)

Linda

• lainielady
    19 years ago

Larry,

Your Chantaspring sure looks happy, and it kind of reminds me spring is peaking around the corner. I was lucky enough to get one of these recently and I'm anxiously waiting for it to bloom.

Your plant looks likes it is growing quite well and likes its home. - Elaine

• larry_b
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Elaine,

Thank you. It does look a little bit like a spring flower doesn't it? I'm not sure how abundant the flowers will be. It is also really small. It may not be obvious but that is a 3-ounce Dixie cup it is in. I probably should have it in a smaller pot. It may flower more if its roots are more constricted. Anyway, when this one flower opened up I just thought it was adorable and had to take a picture.

Larry

• korina
    19 years ago

Oh! Thanks Linda! Cool!

Larry, what is that pretty fuschia bloom to the left?

Korina (nosey)

• larry_b
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Korina,

Don't worry about being nosey. I would love to show you what is next to Chantaspring. Here is sinningia mercury:

{{gwi:354451}}

• stonesriver
    19 years ago

Hi, Larry:
    Why don't you post this one to the gesnariad forum? I have a friend who's cutting back and she's selling or giving away all her sinningias. :-(
    Linda

• korina
    19 years ago

Thanks Larry. I should've recognized it -- it's very near the top of my most wanted list. ;-)

(besotted sigh)

Korina

• brass_tacks
    18 years ago

Larry,
    Just saw your Chantaspring...You said you planted it last fall? When last fall? Is that a very vigorous variety--or do you have a secret? Very inspiring!
    Pat

• Motezuma
    18 years ago

Larry, I've never wanted a sinningia till now. Darn you to the seven levels of plant hell! How many things can you people get me hooked on? Can I come live with you guys when my husband divorces me b/c I've taken over the whole house including bathrooms and closets?

Just kidding. It's beautiful! And so turns the pages of my want list...

-Mo (WV)

• larry_b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Pat,

I started a leaf cutting from Chantaspring around October. I only got one baby from it. For me it has been pretty simple. I have wick watered it since bringing it out of its little terrarium. As with a lot of miniatures I know that they can be very unforgiving if they dry out too much. This little Chantaspring has never gone through a severe drought. Other than that I don't know what to say. I know that some people have a hard time with it. So far so good for me.

Mo, I am sorry that I have tempted you. But, let's put the blame where it is due. It's Korinas fault. I would never have put the picture up if she hadn't asked me. lol Just kidding, Korina. Personally, I think everyone who grows African violets should have at least one sinningia. I pretty much grow it the same as I do my African violets. It has been in wicking soil and I wick water it. I make sure that it dries out occasionally. And that's basically it.

Larry

• razz
    18 years ago

oh someone sent this little one to me and I almost lost it. The little mouse ears are the size of a pin head. Sure hope it makes it. I did have it water wicked but it seemed tosta to wet and looked like it was rotting away. so nowI have it drying out a bit. Larry is there anything I can do to help this one along?
    raz

• larry_b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello Raz,

If your Chantaspring has mouse ears only the size of pinheads your friend separated the plant too early. I'm not sure if you will be able to save it but here is what I would do. You said that it is sopping wet? If you think it is too soggy then let it dry a little but then I would suggest putting it in a plastic bag for a while. Those leaves should be at least the size of eraser heads before taking it out of the bag. I think you have a chance of saving it but since I can't see it it is very hard for me to predict. Good luck.

Larry

• LovesLife
    18 years ago

Ooh, thank you for the picture! I have a Chantaspring that I started late last summer. It's doing well, but hasn't bloomed yet. I can't wait!

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia