Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wouldn't you know it....

Posted by annececilia z4a/N.Michigan (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 20:48

I started a leaf from Blue Dragon and had lots of little plantlets - many of which I gave away, keeping the two sturdiest plants for myself. As they grew, one plant's leaves started doing a sort of curl to the edges, taking on a "holly" appearance. When they both bloomed it was obvious that one had come true to the variety and one was not. Wouldn't you know it that the "real" Blue Dragon" got crown rot and died on me - the survivor is the imposter BD (the one on the right.) Guess I need to get another leaf and start over! (You can be sure I learned my lesson. I'll never give away any back up plants until I've seen all the blooms and know for sure I've got the real McCoy!)

Hosting provided by FotoTime

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wouldn't you know it....

Annececelia...you will probably get more comments if you post again on the discussion side. The "gallery" is a pretty sleepy area.

But....I was really pleased to see your post. Several months ago I bought a Blue Dragon. While looking at examples and descriptions on various sites, I realized my leaves are "wrong"...even more so than yours. I would describe mine as quite ruffley. It wasn't quite so obvious when I bought it, but they are getting much more ruffled as time goes on. The new blooms are about to open, so I may have another surprise. I'm guessing there is a very large plant with ruffled leaves in its genetic background. I was beginning to think mine was mismarked (have had that happen too).

o

Well, Bunnycat, you DID ask for people to post over here. I know this side is pretty sleepy. Wish we could wake it up!
When I saw your request for someone, anyone to post some photo in the gallery, I went to my albums. I had lots of NOID photos, but few of named varieties as I just in the last year started ordering the leaves on line (after I found AV forums - go figure!) Anyway, I thought the Blue Dragon comparison was interesting. Glad to know I'm not alone in growing a Blue Dragon that really isn't. :-)

o

Ah yes. People post pictures of their problem violets on the other side, but rarely of the many beauties in their humongous collections. I can't figure it out. There are other gardenweb forums that are absolutely loaded with photos (hostas and daylilies come to mind). That just doesn't happen with AVs. Almost like it is discouraged. They can't ALL be disbudding for upcoming shows.

here's my little Eternal Orbit:
AV Eternal Orbit

o

OOh! That's a beauty and those colors really make me think of Easter. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here