Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aegis1000

Private Dancer - 2014

aegis1000
9 years ago

Private Dancer 2014 - From P.J.'s Violets (ebay seller)

One of my most successful early violets (2008-2011) was Private Dancer. I gave my mom a successful sucker of my plant in 2010, coincidentally just months before my plant declined and ultimately passed on. I been trying to get a successful replacement going ever since.

Comments (9)

• aegis1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My original Private Dancer was vigorous and bloomed almost constantly. It was my first really successful African Violet.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful plant and pictures. At least you gave a sucker to your mom. Thanks for posting the great pictures. It is a classic.
    It was given to me as a sucker by an office mate who first introduced me to non-O's and to LLG AVs. It was my first variegated fantasy, first non-O and first LLG.
    It was truly beautiful. She also gave me another at the same time, a deep pink with purple fantasy and double blooms. May have been Music Box Dancer.

Your pictures are motivating, I will order Private Dancer next time I place an order with LLG. I probably would just order from them as that's where I usually order from.

This post was edited by fortyseven on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 21:58

• aegis1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My original Private Dancer was from Lyndon Lyon

Lyndon Lyon was my goto African Violet vendor for years ...

I opened up to other vendors for a couple reasons ... to obtain varieties not carried by LLG, .... and to obtain some larger plants.

Some of that worked out, and some of it didn't, but I can say ... I never received a pest-related problem from LLG. It seems that all of my pest-related issues have come from other sources, though, i should say that none of the major vendors consistently had issues.

Lyndon Lyon remains one of my favorite vendors.

I've grown the following varieties from LLG ...

Anastasia
    Blue Dragon
    Caribbean Blue
    Cranberry Crush
    Faded Denim
    Grape Glory
    Perfect Harmony
    Pink Summit
    Private Dancer
    Red Lantern
    Red Rocket
    Shazam
    Sparkleberry
    Starry Night Blue
    Super Duper
    Wedding Tears

• sueok_gw
    9 years ago

Very beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing!

Sue

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Thank you for posting the list and beautiful photos. Have you been pleased with the performance of Blue Dragon and Faded Denim? What about Caribbean Blue? Lyon's is great. I like their square pots.
    When I wanted a vintage, Fancy Bloomers in NJ has been great. For new hybrids, Allegro (Janet Stromborg) is excellent.

This post was edited by fortyseven on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 20:15

• aegis1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I enjoyed growing Faded Denim, Blue Dragon (I have one now), and Caribbean Blue.

Faded Denim was a beautiful soft light powder blue semi-double bloom. It grew and bloomed very well, and had large round medium green foliage.

I grew a plant for about (3) years.

Blue Dragon was also quite vigorous and had spectacular large semi-double multi-color blue-violet blooms. Though it bloomed a bit less often, I considered the blooms worth the effort.

It's foliage was sorta round and dark with a red reverse. I grew my original Blue Dragon for about (2) years.

Caribbean Blue was another nice plant. It had a medium violet-blue bloom with a white edge. It had adequately attractive foliage, but it's claim to fame is that it bloomed a lot and almost constantly.

I grew Caribbean Blue for about 3 years. I've made one aborted attempt to replace it, but I'll probably give it another shot some day.

I've placed some full-plant photos in the forum to show each plant in its heyday ...

This post was edited by aegis500 on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 9:14

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks for the descriptions and fantastic photos.
    The Denim seems vibrant and a refreshing color combination. Dragon is spectacular. I will add them to my list. Good to know that Dragon is slow to bloom. An office mate had that problem under fluorescent lights, so he
    took it home where it did better. But I never saw it in full bloom. I like red-backed leaves with darker color blooms.

Caribbean Blue is attractive, also.

I intend to order San Mateo Blues from LLG in the spring.

Although not blue, a good LLG performer is Scandal.
    It has bright green leaves, with bright, deep "plum jam" color triple petals with a white edge, slightly unruly blossoms. The foliage behaves well and reproduces well.

Do you offer your photography for
    sale?

Thanks again
    Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 16:02

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Hi,
    That is a terrific plant and photo.

Have you grown Silent Prayer? It is a Stork, his plants
    are very well behaved. I plan to order leaves.

That is too bad about the mites. Have you rebuilt your collection? The same thing happened to my boss, she
    had 300 plants. She gave me a starter of Private Dancer that had mealy, that was how we discovered it. I told
    her, but it was a few weeks before she focused on her
    collection. I think she was traveling. So she had to start over.

When I first started buying from LLG, I also discovered that showing one leaf and one blossom does not represent the mature plant. At least, LLG tries, their photos are consistent. Other vendors have no consistency in their photos. But they are not commercial businesses and take their own photos.

So, your photos are appreciated because you show the whole plant.

As for Scandal, it is an older variety. The color combination of flower and leaf is a little offbeat, not as popular as others. However, it is reliable, low maintenance, reproduces easily and is always in bloom.

Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 19:14

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES