bloodyfrancois

Mac's Scorching Sun

bloodyfrancois
9 years ago

Mac's Scorching Sun - semi, coral red

Comments (14)

• terrilou
    9 years ago

Lovely! You certainly have a knack for growing Mac's varieties. Any I tried just suckered so profusely that I had to discard them.

Terri

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Terri,
    I have a standard Mac that is beautiful. It has never suckered. If you would like, I can start a leaf for you. I have forgotten the name. Maybe if I look on FC , I will recall. It has a frilled pansy with a deep rose-red outer and inner stripe or cross of tangerine. Very subtle. Blooms are deepest in cool weather.
    The color changes. It does not photograph true. Maybe his minis sucker because some have trailers and he also makes trailers.
    Kai, the leaves are lovely . Are they variegated?

• terrilou
    9 years ago

Joanne,
    I don't believe there are too many standard Mac's so thanks for the offer. Perhaps in the spring we can work up an exchange.

Terri

• bloodyfrancois
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Terri - Mac's varieties that I have do not sucker at all. I read somewhere that Mac's Scorching Sun suckered a lot.

Joanne - It lost variegated months ago, hope it will be back this winter. The leaves are very unique.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

The leaves are beautiful on your plant. The deeply serrated edges, the deep quilting and spoon effect are all lovely.

This post was edited by fortyseven on Thu, Dec 18, 14 at 23:24

• bloodyfrancois
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Our winter is coming! It is 71F. the lowest of the day, hope for the variegation.
    Thank you!
    Kai

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

HI I find that each plant is different, some have lots of variegation. Others, almost none. However, sounds like yours had it then lost it. Either way, it is lovely. I am glad you posted it because the photo in the Lyon's catalogue is not appealing, it shows a pure white leaf. As amore recent hybrid, it might not be as sable as some older varieties.
    Glad you have 71, sounds nice. Here, 63 today and our
    short rainy season, vilets seem to like it. don't mind the misspelling, I will blame it on "spell check) Joanne

• bloodyfrancois
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A couple of months ago, Mac's Scorching Sun was variegated with bright yellow and green. It never had any white leaves, might be here is too hot for that kind of color.
    Kai

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Actually, the photo was of a center leaf that was yellow, not white. Often, the variegation on a plant starts out on the new crown as very pale, but soon gets darker green as the leaves grow out.
    Anyway, it looks like a very nice plant, with or without the variegation. I might order it the next time I place an order
    in a few months. thanks again, Joanne

• bloodyfrancois
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Please share pictures if you have new plants next spring. I love your choices of plants, they are exotic and most of yours are very new to me.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Poinsettias dyed violet for the season.

• bloodyfrancois
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very sweet! You are lighting the idea, I will go shopping Poinsettias this coming Saturday.
    Thank you!

• bloodyfrancois
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Closed-up on Mac's Scorching Sun

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Mac standard grown cool, deeper color. Subtle two tone makes the flower seem to glow.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner