Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AV recommended books

Posted by fortyseven 9 CA (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 0:01

Hi
Does anyone have this book? Or have read it?
African Violets - Gifts From Nature
The Series: Book One
By Melvin J. Robey
There are several books by this author. The website is AfricanVioletBooks.com
This is a newer edition with articles and comments by other famous AV writers. Just wondering if this is a good one to start with this author.
Thanks,
Joanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AV recommended books

Joanne,

The only book I ever read was by Helen Van Pelt Wilson. In the olden days before the internet, this was all I had to learn from. I recently re-read it and, except for the chapter on treating pests and diseases, (because new treatments come along all the time), it is still a good growing guide.

Linda

o

Thanks! I love Helen Van Pelt Wilson! I remember her books from way back when, she wrote about other plants as well. I was recently given a copy of her book. I think it was a revised edition. I love the charming illustrations.
I am surprised you read only one book, in Hort school, were there a lot of scientific or academic books to read? Or did you learn by doing and by lectures by the professors?
I found an older thread in which Melvin Robey's books are recommended. I am just wondering if they overlap in the information or if each one is a little different. (I just enjoy books and reading and hand-drawn illustrations.)
Joanne

o

Joanne,

To clarify: the only book I ever read on raising African Violets was by HVPW. I began growing av's just out of high school before college. And I guess after all those textbooks on plant science, morphology, microbiology, plant biology, plant genetics, etc., etc., I didn't need any more AV books!

Linda

o

I read a couple av books, but their info was so laughable, none of the titles stuck. I have another on hold at the library, maybe that one will be different....
I wonder how people get funding for wish wash writing...

o

Linda, sounds like it was fun at the time!
Joanne

o

Karin,

Sort of like that bit about watering your orchids with two ice cubes a week, right? Where do these people come from?!

Joanne,

It was a blast! I love this stuff, especially plant genetics. Fascinating.

Linda

o

Whatever is of Melvin Robey - is the top source. The thickest book of 314 pages "African Violets- Gifts from Nature" covers everything - including hybridizing and has a decent chapter on other gesneriads. It just got reprinted - so check Amazon..

Older books - and I read the first edition of Helen VPW - and something on florist gloxinias... they recommended DDT to fight the pests. Ouch! So - use updated versions - and common sense.

o

Thanks, Irina! Joanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here