Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fortyseven_gw

AV recommended books

fortyseven_gw
10 years ago

Hi
Does anyone have this book? Or have read it?
African Violets - Gifts From Nature
The Series: Book One
By Melvin J. Robey
There are several books by this author. The website is AfricanVioletBooks.com
This is a newer edition with articles and comments by other famous AV writers. Just wondering if this is a good one to start with this author.
Thanks,
Joanne

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

The only book I ever read was by Helen Van Pelt Wilson. In the olden days before the internet, this was all I had to learn from. I recently re-read it and, except for the chapter on treating pests and diseases, (because new treatments come along all the time), it is still a good growing guide.

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I love Helen Van Pelt Wilson! I remember her books from way back when, she wrote about other plants as well. I was recently given a copy of her book. I think it was a revised edition. I love the charming illustrations.
    I am surprised you read only one book, in Hort school, were there a lot of scientific or academic books to read? Or did you learn by doing and by lectures by the professors?
    I found an older thread in which Melvin Robey's books are recommended. I am just wondering if they overlap in the information or if each one is a little different. (I just enjoy books and reading and hand-drawn illustrations.)
    Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

To clarify: the only book I ever read on raising African Violets was by HVPW. I began growing av's just out of high school before college. And I guess after all those textbooks on plant science, morphology, microbiology, plant biology, plant genetics, etc., etc., I didn't need any more AV books!

Linda

• Karin
    10 years ago

I read a couple av books, but their info was so laughable, none of the titles stuck. I have another on hold at the library, maybe that one will be different....
    I wonder how people get funding for wish wash writing...

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda, sounds like it was fun at the time!
    Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Karin,

Sort of like that bit about watering your orchids with two ice cubes a week, right? Where do these people come from?!

Joanne,

It was a blast! I love this stuff, especially plant genetics. Fascinating.

Linda

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Whatever is of Melvin Robey - is the top source. The thickest book of 314 pages "African Violets- Gifts from Nature" covers everything - including hybridizing and has a decent chapter on other gesneriads. It just got reprinted - so check Amazon..

Older books - and I read the first edition of Helen VPW - and something on florist gloxinias... they recommended DDT to fight the pests. Ouch! So - use updated versions - and common sense.

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Irina! Joanne

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH