Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kinder_devonshire

Possible sport

Kinder Devonshire
14 years ago

Okay, I was studying my new babies, and I noticed a color difference on one of them. My leaf from Kentucky Wonder has two babies on it, one is dark green just like the parent leaf, and the other is more of a medium green, quite a few shades lighter. All the other babies on all the other leafs are the same color as their parent leafs. So would that mean that this little baby is a possible sport?

Comments (7)

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Good question!
    I thought only the flowers showed a plant had sported though. It will be interesting to see what the more experienced members say on this topic.
    Now here are my thoughts. Is the Mother leaf by chance from a variegated plant? Because variegated plants can show a variety of color in their leaves. I've even seen pictures of pure white leaves on babies from rooted leaves and varying colors of green in between.
    Another thought is could the leaf that's lighter maybe be shadowed from the light source by a nearby plant? This would explain it's lightness possibly. This is if the Mom plant the leaf came from isn't variegated.
    I'm interested to see what others have to say!,,,Debbie

PS: I also found a site that shows leaf problems and possible cures. Yours is a 'mouse ear' so probably not diseased but the site does show birthmark leaves. This might be a possibility.

Here is a link that might be useful: AV Leaf Problems

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

(Not sure this posted so trying again. GW is acting up it seems.)

Good question!
    I thought only the flowers showed a plant had sported though. It will be interesting to see what the more experienced members say on this topic.
    Now here are my thoughts. Is the Mother leaf by chance from a variegated plant? Because variegated plants can show a variety of color in their leaves. I've even seen pictures of pure white leaves on babies from rooted leaves and varying colors of green in between.
    Another thought is could the leaf that's lighter maybe be shadowed from the light source by a nearby plant? This would explain it's lightness possibly. This is if the Mom plant the leaf came from isn't variegated.
    I'm interested to see what others have to say!,,,Debbie

PS: I also found a site that shows leaf problems and possible cures. Yours is a 'mouse ear' so probably not diseased but the site does show birthmark leaves. This might be a possibility.

Here is a link that might be useful: AV Leaf Problems

• Kinder Devonshire
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well the description of the the plant was as follows - "Kentucky Strawberries (D. Rollins) Double fuchsia, variable white tips.edges. Dark green, serrated red back. Semiminiature"
    The picture at Cedar Creek Violets shows dark leaves.

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

I don't think it is anything to worry about and that it will green up darker with time. Or like the site I gave about shows it could be a birthmark leaf. I'd just keep and eye on the leaf pot.
    As the plantlet grows and can be separated off you can always at the time of separation pluck off that light colored leaf if it bothers you. It will grow more leaves after all. :-)

• quintyoung
    14 years ago

I had one like that - the leaves were a lot greener than all the others so I knew it was different. It stayed like that throughout it's growth - the new leaves had none of the purple in them that the parent leaf had. Turns out that the flowers are missing the purple too! It is now a lovely pink and white very frilly flower with soft scalloped leaves. I linked to some pictures below.

Here is a link that might be useful: my sport violet

• rhynno
    14 years ago

I have a noid semi-mini that sports nearly each time I start a new leaf so it can happen in my experience.

One baby has leaves twice as big as the rest, another has smaller leaves. One has light green with no purple under the leaves while another has very dark leaves with lots of purple. The flowers don't change that much, it just changes how much purple to white in each plant.

I find that some of the traits mellow with time while others are more permanent.

I hope that this helps!

Cheers,

Ryan

• Kinder Devonshire
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hope it doesn't change, it would be cool if it really was a sport, and on my first leaves to boot. It has three little light green leaves now, so I guess I will have to wait a couple more months to see if the leaves change.
    Thank you.

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County