Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davemichigan

Chimeras

davemichigan
14 years ago

I am new here, so I would like to say hi to everyone here.

I have grown AV and propagate some of them by leaves for about 2 years, but I only got interested in them lately and have been reading about them on internet.

One question I have is on chimeras. I have read that if you propagate by leave cutting, it won't come true. But my question is this: if you propagate a chimera by leave cutting, will you get another chimera even though it might not be true to the original plant?

TIA!

Comments (12)

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Welcome to the group Dave!!
    It's my understanding that no the baby plantlets won't be a Chimera. It will take after one of the AV parents and be an AV again instead of a Chimera.
    If it's the leaf type Chimera with either variegated or patterned leaves the baby plants from the leaf won't have the pretty pattern. They will be plain.,,,Debbie

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi Dave,
    By ny way of thinking, a chimera is generally a surprise that has grown and sported from another plant. It can always sport again. Generally however it does not and as Debbie said more than likely it will revert to a similar plant of one of the parents. I guess that what I am saying is that there is no sure answer to your question.
    Fred in NJ

• robitaillenancy1
    14 years ago

Most often the new baby will be one or other color of the chimera. If the chimera is pink and white, it might be solid pink or solid white.

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

hey Dave....

got pics that you can share? We love pictures :)

Dora

PS> Welcome (officially)

• davemichigan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all for the info. So I guess to get new chimera we just have to rely on luck and time and patience then (without going into sophisticated gene manipulation things).

Dora, I only have two AVs so far. One I already post on the "Flower Stabilization" thread. The other one is a plane purple flower. Sorry if this thread makes is sound like I have chimera. I don't. I am just interested in them.

I do plant to buy some leaves, some seeds and maybe a couple of chimeras (they are expensive)!

:-)

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Dave check in Ebay and do a search in home & garden section on Chimera. They are very reasonable if a bidding war doesn't erupt on the one your wanting. haha. Most sellers also sell their Chimera's in bloom to prove it is blooming true.,,,Debbie

• davemichigan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Debbie, thanks for that info about ebay. I just did a search and yes, the prices are cheaper that what I have searched before. I think it is a good way to start a collection.

Here in Michigan we are in single-digit temperature right now, but I will definitely check ebay again in spring. :-)

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

The packages I've received they line the box with that pink house insulation and add a heat pack. The plants are wrapped well also in newspaper or put into Styrofoam drink cups with quilt batting around leaves. Thus far all I've won has arrived safely and are in route only 2 days after shipped.
    I won a couple Strep's recently and the seller is holding them till next week and will check weather then for shipping. We are to get to -1 Thurs. night. Thank gawd for heaters! haha.,,,Debbie

• contrarymarypat
    14 years ago

I love Chimeras. I have several but most are small starters. I have propagated a few from suckers. I got mine from local AVS show & sales or from Ebay. When buying on Ebay, I prefer to see picture of actual plant for sale and also prefer "buy it now" over bidding. Bidding makes me nervous and I forget what time it ends so I miss bidding altogether. In general I have been pleased with the packaging when bought on Ebay, but often they are small starts and I have to be patient - not easy for me. A few have been awesome sized, in bloom, and have even had suckers so I could start another for back up or for trade. It is frigid cold here and no plan to warn up that I know of. Stay warm!
    Mary

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Mary has a point,,,I too enjoy sellers who post a picture of the plant up for auction. That way I see what I'm buying and make a decision.
    It is abominable snowman cold here! Jack Frost painted my bedroom window and it stayed painted till sunlight hit it in late afternoon. It was pretty but made me know I didn't want to step outside. The dogs sure hurry up these days when let out. haha.,,,Debbie

• planthoarder
    14 years ago

Welcome Dave,
    I am pretty new here myself and want to let you know that these people here give GREAT advice,I now have learned a few things that have my longtime noid standard Av's blooming like crazy again.
    As for buying on Ebay I have been a member there buying for many years(since 02),I find that some sellers get too big and they are limited for time so they cannot always show pics of the exact plants but do show a pic of the mother plant( I have bought many daylilies,hostas and av's thousands of dollars worth!) these sellers have a high number of feedback usually in the thousand range and all have had perfect or near perfect 5 star feedback. So what I am saying is Mary and Debbie are absolutely right on when they say it is good to see the plant you are buying(especially if its a chimera or other more expensive plant) that is the best but I don't want anyone missing out on plants that I have received that are also wonderful and are coming from great sellers. No, I do not sell plants on ebay,just wanted to pass this info along! I just won a few chimeras and will be waiting for better weather for them to be shipped,those I could see exactly what I was actually going to receive. Happy Growing and Stay Warm, Linda In NJ

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi davemichigan! I am also in S/E Michigan! If you are still in the group update us on how your violets are doing! Did you ever get any Chimeras? Do you have any regular violets? Rosie