Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bspofford

musings on cold weather and AVs

bspofford
15 years ago

I've made some unscientific observations about winter weather and how it has affected my plants.

1. Plants will survive a temp of 50 degrees for a short(?)period of time. During the ice storm, the temp in the house was down to 50 before I got our generator fired up and could run the pellet stove. I see no ill effects on the plants, but I was a wreck....moved everything into one room and also ran a space heater.

2. Plants will survive being dumped on their heads in the snow. Some markings on the leaves, but the new growth looks ok.

3. Plants will not survive being driven over. Don't ask, but related to #2.

4. Blossom colors seem to be more intense in cooler temps. We are keeping the house at about 62-64, and even though they aren't growing robustly, they are blooming ok.

So, it was a great trip to Seattle except for their crappy weather, leaves and babies travelled well both ways, and I'm glad to be back where snow plows are an every day occurrence.

How is everyone else fairing this winter?

Barbara

Comments (2)

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

"3. Plants will not survive being driven over. Don't ask, but related to #2."

I can't WAIT to hear this story. :-D

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

THANK YOU for such a good belly laugh so early in my day. That caught me so off guard and made me laugh at loud.

I don't remember where - but I think that I read something about dormancy in AVs and isn't it possible that this weather situation could support a period of dormancy and then when the weather gets warmer, the plants comes out and takes off?

I really miss my blooms and the weather is depressing here. We're supposed to be down into the teens by the end of the week which is ok (I guess) if you are used to it, but we are not. We heat our house by fireplace and so far (knock on wood) I've been keeping little bowls of water near my plants to help w/ humidity.

Dora