Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whitelacey1

Advice for Newbies

Whitelacey
11 years ago

In reading through this African Violet forum, I see lots of discouraged newbies. My advice: don't let one or two, (or three or more), unsuccessful attempts at growing discourage you. Anyone who has been growing violets for any length of time has lost more violets than they care to think about. I have been growing for over forty years, have a bachelor's degree in Horticulture and am a professional landscaper and I still lose plants. (I have a Psychedelic Show that I am currently tearing my hair out over). As you gain experience, you will grow better and better and lose less and less. Fortunately, african violets are inexpensive and easy to propagate. (I also grow orchids-expensive and difficult-to- impossible to propagate and an average of seven years from sowing to bloom. IF they decide to bloom).
Remember-plants, like people, are individuals, even different plants of the same variety. Some are easy, some are difficult, some thrive, some die and some just sit there and defy you. It's all part of the adventure.
Hope this helps!

Linda

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz