Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenh2010

Light stand

kenh2010
14 years ago

Hope this isn't too obvious. I'm new to the list and the hobby and was making my light stand this past weekend and it dawned on me how to get three stands out of two. I bought two of the 4' wire shelving units from our local buying club. Strung 4' fluorescent fixtures (2) over each shelf. One thing I did think of was since they come with 6 shelves each I was able to put 4 on each of the stands which left 4 over which I used on the gap between the two shelves, making a 12' unit instead of the 2 4' units. Maybe that sounds dumb and that anybody could figure that out, but it took me a while to figure it out (and I'm 50). Since I had a 13' wall in the basement it filled it out pretty nicely. Also eyeballed the aquarium sitting forlornly in the corner of the room and since the shelves hold something like 600 pounds you can guess where that's going now too for humidity benefits. Thanks for all of your ideas and inspiration. Hope this might help someone too - would love to contribute to the list even though I don't know a lot yet.

Ken

Comments (6)

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Ken. Hey, none of us were born with violets in our hands. lol

I actually posted this about 4 years ago when I was a newbie, and ended up with the extra shelving from one unit and planned to buy one more. Another option is to order two extra poles from the manufacturer if you don't have the space for the 12 foot run, but do for 8 feet. Also, you can hang a light from the ceiling to utilize the top shelf.

I'm glad you posted this though because not everyone will sit and go back though old posts.

Now, to fill up those barren shelves....

Are you blessed with any clubs in your area? Many clubs will be having shows/plant sales in March, April and May. Also, there is the national African Violet Society of America in Raleigh in April. I've included the link to AVSA so you can check 'afilliates' for a local club.

Again, welcome.

Barbara

• kenh2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info Barbara. I thought about lights from the ceilings and spaced the shelves to allow for that too, although presently I can't see the 12 shelves I have as full. I understand that does happen though. Actually, my wife ordered me 30 some leaves to start for my anniversary present so when they get going hopefully things will start filling up. Didn't see any clubs in our area (or our state, ID, for that matter, but maybe we'll start something some day. Right now I'm enjoying reading the previous posts - I'm up to page 15! and I do appreciate your input.

Ken

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Hi Ken! Welcome to the group!
    I too am a newbie and just started collecting in Oct. It's great to see someone else who's been bitten by the bug and excited about it.
    Just wait till those leaves root and you start seeing the little 'mouse ears' erupting out of the soil! It's such a feeling of accomplishment!
    Your wife really did you a favor with the leaves gift. You will have plantlets to trade come Spring and your collection will grow from there.
    In no time your shelves will be looking nice and full.,,,Debbie

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Ken -

your best resources are in Oregon. If you keep an eye when they have show/sale - and you can enjoy the long drive somewhere in spring - you will have fun. Otherwise - if you go out of your town for business or pleasure - check on the clubs and vendors at your destination.

Regarding your shelves - 20-22" between the shelves will give you a flexibility - to lower or raise your fixture.

30 leaves! 30 standard violets will take 3 shelves when mature.

So - do not buy 30 more leaves - you will run out of space!

Good luck and happy blooming!

Irina

• kenh2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great Irina! I have 21" between shelves and 23" from ceiling to first shelf. With my wick reservoirs the plants are about 10" from the lights so we'll see how they do. I would imagine one could obscure the light if it is too bright - maybe with a dusting of spray paint, or perhaps remove one light. Will keep a close eye on their growth pattern to see what they do. Ideally they'll be happy.

• raven_ladybug
    14 years ago

Hello Ken, welcome to the group! Another newbie here, but luckily there are many experienced growers here with excellent advice. Cleaver thinking on your shelves. I donÂt know if that would have occurred to me
    Have a wonderful day,
    Raven

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer