Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus2015

Growing AV's...conflicting info

maximus2015
16 years ago

I'm reading alot of info on basic culture of AVs. I'm finding somewhat conflicting information about this, so want to check this out with members of the forum here.

I have 10 Standard AV plants. They are growing in a SE exposure. Websites indicate they should be in a West or South exposure. Can you share with me how you are all growing your AVs at home ?

Thanks

Patrick

Comments (3)

• dragonfly2008
    16 years ago

I think most of us grow under artificial lights (grow lights) but if I were to grow in natural light, an eastern or southeastern exposure sounds ideal. Everyone's conditions are different and if it works for you - keep doing it!

• robitaillenancy1
    16 years ago

Patrick,

I live in Canada. If I put my AVs in the window I would safely put them in a southwest window. (I have florescent lights).

Those who live in Florida, Texas, other "hot" states could not put plants in a southwest window unless they put a very lacy curtain in the window in front of the plants. The light would be too bright.

So it depends on your location as to where you can put your plants. Try in all four directons for two weeks and see which grows best.

In bright windows you could always move the plant deeper into the room so it receives less light.

Nancy

• quitecontrary
    16 years ago

Patrickalan -

I live in CT with a climate similar to yours. My southwest picture window is way too hot and bright even in winter. I shade with a lace curtain, as suggested, and that works. Try a double thickness if one panel doesn't do it. An east window is better, and you will still probably need a sheer curtain at the eastern exposure in summertime. The problem with moving plants farther back into the room is that the light falls off drastically more than a foot from the glass. Hold your hands above the plants - you don't want much direct sun, but you should be able to see your hand cast a shadow. In hot weather, you can move plants to a northern exposure, if you have a choice. Hot sun damages plants quickly, and it takes a long time for scorched plants to recover. In January, I inadvertently cooked a violet in a baggie on that bright windowsill, even with the lace curtain there. Everything else was OK because the other plants were a bit farther back. I wick all my plants, so the soil stays moist. In that situation, any slightly limp/wilted leaves are a sign my plants are too hot! Think about fluorescent lights - cool and bright on your hand, casting a shadow. That is what you are shooting for with natural light. Hope this helps. Enjoy your violets!

Barbara