Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do flowers change color pattern?

Posted by BrunildaFl 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 7:42

My AV started to bloom mostly white with some light purple on the bottom of the flower. When I went to rotate it I noticed the flowers on the other side are white and purple bands instead. On my other AVs the flowers are always the same pattern on the plant. I like the new color but what makes them change?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do flowers change color pattern?

This is the other side of the plant.

o

They do change, sometimes it's because of growing conditions (warm vs cool mostly) and sometimes a spontaneous genetic mutation (called "sporting").
I have one that bloomed all white on one side and purple on the other. And another that was pink with purple splatters, but had half purple flowers (literally like a line drawn through the middle of the blossom), full purple and chimera looking purple stripes - I disbudded them until a couple weeks ago, and am waiting on all of them (including suckers) to come into bloom again, just to see what they'll turn out to be this time :-)

o

African violets have been hybridized extensively and sometimes this causes genetic instability. As Karin said, growing conditions will sometimes bring out recessive traits or cause mutations. Sometimes, when the conditions change again, as in summer to winter, the plant will revert back to its original blooming pattern, sometimes it won't. It's all part of the fun of growing AV's!

Your violet is lovely!

Linda

o

I love this forum! I am always learning something new! Thank you!

o

I have one that is Tailored US(so help me that was the name on it) It is a lovely rose ruffled one is summer. In the winter it puts on a white ruffle. One called Rocky Mountain was white with a rose border, now it is completely rose.Another called Toach was white with purple and maroon speckles, now its lavendar and white stripes like a chimera.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here