Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
froeschli

Grooming... (?)

Karin
10 years ago

Forgive me if this has been answered before, by I can't seem to find this in the forum or on Rachel's website...

The thing that got me thinking was one of Annie's podcasts - they won't load past 23 minutes on my computer (don't ask, no idea why, and I am not going to try a third time, to see if I can wring another few seconds out of it)...

Anyhow, as she decided not to take one of her violets to show, she mentions removing a few rows of leaves etc. (the video stopped before she got to it though)

So that got me to looking at my violets and deciding to prune them a little - removed anything not happily green, and two or three leaves that messed with the symmetry. But, after viewing the carnage (I'd never actively removed more than one leaf from any plant) I got wondering.

1. When is it not a good idea to remove too much/any material? (As in any leaf is better than none... And it seems to be general practice to leave flowering plants alone...)
2. On a bonsai I would remove top growth when repotting/root pruning (to balance the needs of the foliage with what the roots can provide) - I assume AVs are the opposite?
3. Do people really remove more than one row of leaves at a time? - Do you need to repot if you do? (Because the plant is smaller I mean, the 'neck' will warrant a repotting later anyways)

Suckers, flowers and debris all seem straightforward, I just get hesitant when it comes to removing leaves - when to go for it and when to leave it alone...

Thanks,

Karin

Comments (14)

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

On a similar note, in older threads, Fred mentioned he had some AV plant care sheets - does anyone still have those files to share?
    Thanks.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Karin,

Speaking as a Horticulturist, I am fascinated by this obsession with leaf removal on African Violets. Everyone is always talking about 'stripping leaves'. Plants grow leaves because they need them. There is a balance between root growth and top growth. They must remain in balance for a plant to grow well. Yellowed leaves need removing as they are past their functioning days and, when trying to grow for show, a leaf here and there can be removed for symmetry's sake. But removing rows of leaves is counter-productive to a plant's growth.

I realize violet growers do this all the time but it goes against everything Horticulture science teaches and all that I have learned in my years as a professional. I have been growing violets for many, many years and I never do this.

The 'any leaf is better than none' as in 'a damaged leaf is better than none' is when a plant is struggling to survive. Then a plant needs all available resources to help it live. On a plant that is healthy, damaged leaves should be removed.

Linda

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Linda,

i assume that's why i was struggling with the concept of removing entire rows of leaves...

i may try it with one or two doubles just to see if it makes that much of a difference... if not, or they decline, at least i am freeing up some space for named varieties :-)

Karin

• Zukoll
    10 years ago

The theory was that the plant can reserve it's energy by removing the bottom leaves that are shielded from light and thus non-productive. But in Annie's case she trimmed the whole plant down to half of it's original size which I think is more extreme. You can see this at about the one hour mark in episode 75.

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, but the episodes don't load that far for me (I'll have to try a different PC sometime).
    Removing a bottom row is one thing, but stripping down a plant seems excessive unless you are looking to just reroot part of the crown of a new purchase...
    (Heck, it still pains me to remove all flower stalks and buds, chopping off the crown entirely, not quite there yet...)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Maybe try a different browser. I read library books on-line and I had a problem with all the pages loading. My techie son-in-law suggested I switch browsers. It worked!

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

A local public library would have PCs. Bring headphones. Joanne

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i only have about 5 computers of my own... but no desk as of yet (looong story), so i've been using the laptop.
    when i am finally set up, i will try a few different things....

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

I don't read them at the library, I read them at home. In Ohio, we have a library program in which you can get books on your computer and read them at home. Like a Kindle, I guess, without the Kindle. So I read them at night all snug in my bed without having to trek through snow, ice and cold to get my books!

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Linda,
    I meant if Karin's PC at home would not go past 23 minutes of a longer podcast, then she could go to the library to listen to it there because libraries usually have PCs.

As for your library program, I have heard of that. Possibly, it is available from my local library. thanks for mentioning it.

On an older thread, I saw mention of books by Mel Robey that are often found in local libraries. I will try to look for those.

Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Sorry! I misunderstood.

I love this library program. If I finish a book and don't have another handy, I can get one immediately. Instant gratification! (Unlike plants).

Linda

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love my online library! The selection isn't always great, but it's so easy. And no late fees :-) (my library uses the system from overdrive.com - you can search there to see if your library participates too).
    I usually get audio books though, so I have entertainment whilst I putter around the house...

Karin

Here is a link that might be useful: Overdrive online library system

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Karin, Linda,
    Stopped by my local library today, learned they do have the electronic system you described. I also searched on their intranet for books on African Violets. They have lists for local libraries as well as with a service called "Link" that searches academic libraries. I've requested African Violets by Joan Hill from a local library. Next, I will request Clements' and Robey's books from the "Link" service. They said that one is more expensive for them to use.
    Thanks for the tip
    Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

I'm glad you found your library has this service. As Karin said about hers, our library is not extensive as yet but maybe I can find some AV books on-line. Let me know if you have any success.

Karin,

I've tried the audio books and it just doesn't work for me. I get too distracted very easily! It would be nice, though, as there are lots more audio books then regular ones.

Linda