Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Novice to African Violets

Posted by jck3010 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 10, 13 at 8:15

My daughter bought me these African Violets in a Christmas reindeer and they were beautiful, unfortunately since then they have suffered and I'm not sure where to go from here.

I watered them regularly to find out they don't need as much as they were getting so they have been drying out for the last week now, I have also removed the dead flowers by pinching the stems and removed some new elongated leaves to try and root them and repot them later if this one dies. I was wondering what else I could do to help my violet to get healthier.

I did read that long leaves weren't good as this meant lack of sunlight so I have put the plant by my back doors to get extra light through the day, although its been a bit gloomy the last week, if anyone has any ideas I'd really like to hear from you, thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Novice to African Violets

Image of African Violets

o

Sorry, but this isnt an African violet. It looks more like a primrose.

o

I agree with Barbara - it is a Primrose - basically an outside plant that normally blooms early spring and likes humid semi-shaded location. It was "forced" to bloom early - just like they force tulips and daffodils and Easter lilies to bloom in pots out of season. If you find a place in a yard to stick it in - it will be struggling - but if it will survive - it will bloom in a spring of 2014. Otherwise - say thanks to it - and toss it. It won't survive at home.

Irina

o

They will continue to bloom if you keep them in a very cool but sunny window. Very important.. keep picking off the fading flowers. Keep damp but not soggy.
As soon as the window warms up, for me in NYS, sometime in late March, the leaves wilt in the sun and it's time to set it in a cooler place. You can set it outside in a sheltered spot if it's not too cold.
If they like the spot that you choose (under a forsythia looks nice, bloom the same time)they will bloom for many years. Key is some early spring sun, but no scorching summer sun, and not being allowed to dry out.

o

Thank you for all your help, I will try them outside and see how they get on, they looked so pretty when in bloom, it seems a shame to kill it and with little gardening experience I do tend to do that, thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here