Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwgatreasures

Faded Jade Epecia

nwgatreasures
14 years ago

I think the name is Faded Jade....anyway :)

What are the characteristics and growth habits that I need to be encouraging as this plant grows?

Here are some thoughts I have about this plant:

-do I let it do whatever it wants with those runners/shoots?

-am I working for thickness/fullness and compact growth

-am I working for length

-# of runners?

-there are 2 main stems coming from the dirt/pot, does this meet show judging criteria?

-do I disbud this one like a regular violet to produce more blooms at the appropriate time?

This plant has tripled in size in past 90 days and I am seriously considering grooming it for convention in April and/or May. I just need to know what I am working for as I take care of it.

Any suggestions or guidance is appreciated :)

Dora

Comments (6)

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi Dora,
    Usually episcias are grown in a bowl with a cover. Multiple plants are permitted in the same bowl but only of the same hybrid. You should be looking for mature plants which spread out and cover the soil mix. Stolons can be pinned down and rooted to fill in bare spots but pins should be removed when exhibiting. As for bloom, many clubs have both a blooming and non-blooming category for episcias and other gesneriads. So depending on how floriferous the plant is you could show it either way. The picture will give you a pretty good idea of what an episcia might look like at a show. I think this one is Cleopatra.
    Fred in NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:358165}}

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the pic...
    I'm wondering - could it not be shown on a pedestal with the growth cascading down (kind of like a hanging basket)

Dora

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Dora,

You might post your question on the gesneriad forum also, but it doesn't look real active.

I have a dvd at home about judging gessies, but I'm in DC right now until 1/15.

Good luck, and I'll see you in Raleigh!!!!

Barbara

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi Dora,
    I suppose it could be shown on a pedestal, however, whenever i see a haning episcia it looks bedraggled. Usually there aren't enough leaves on the cascading stems to make it look good.
    Fred in N J

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fred,
    this particular plant is bushy, full and beautiful.
    I need to find something to read that would have some guidance about this plant.

thanks,
    Dora

• robitaillenancy1
    14 years ago

The pink variegated episcias need to have excess humidity and most often are grown in a terrarium.

The others, brown, green silver, multicolored leaves, are grown most often in a hanging basket.

Start with one plant. Nip out all flowers and stolons for a period of time so the one plant gets quite large, then allow a few stolons to start to grow. Most of the time we nip out stolons in order to get flowers. Window light is perfect for hanging episcias, but under the lights is fine as well.

Episcias appreciate being sprayed with hot water. They love humidity but keep out of the sun until dry.

Nancy